Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Convert Electric To Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Anyone Ever Convert Electric To Nitro?

Just curious with all these nitro to electric conversions around.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by melonpeel
Just curious with all these nitro to electric conversions around.
there was a jammin scrt10 converted to a nitro at my local track friday lol he had a eb mods v-spec in it it was the most hilariouse thing to watch he was racing in 4x4 mod slash and he couldnt handle it because it had to much power but he loves it!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I have been a diehard electric guy but did convert one of my mbx6t's to nitro this year. I wanted to see if I could do it and also wanted to be able to run in the long mains. I had a huge race that I went to a couple weeks ago and finshed 10th in the amain my first time out. It is also more dependable than electric.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JoeC
It is also more dependable than electric.
Uh. What? I'm a die hard Nitro fella, i don't have any electric.. Drat it, i lied there. I got a Lazer XZ 1:10 buggy from the 80's. It has a (of course) brushed Mega. Green or orange, cant remember. I cant remember the last time i had runtime cut short by a unexpected engine failure, or the equivalent of a flame out (blown fuse?)
With todays brushless systems, maintenance is almost null, and battery issues are fewer then ever was with Ni-Ca or Ni-MH. So, how do you figure the nitro is more dependable? Just curios.
B!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr B
So, how do you figure the nitro is more dependable? Just curios. B!
Based on my nitro and brushless experience... having had lipo's puff up, motors and esc's overheat and fail there is a hint of validity to that statement. No doubt there are a few guys around who've run the same brushless setup for years with no problems though.

I'd love to see that Jammin, sounds wild.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Prophet

nitro engines are way more, relible now you never with 1/8 speedos / lipos i seen it happen to a couple of guys.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Electric to nitro is not more reliable.

Nitro to electric is.. nitro parts are heavy duty right?

So nitro power on electric parts. maybe BL parts.. would be okay... but brushed... you would toss bones, strip splines, burn gears etc...
I dont run nitro but as an elctric runner, it was my understanding that upgrading to nitor parts was "bullet proofing" your electric...
Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by nettronic
Electric to nitro is not more reliable.

Nitro to electric is.. nitro parts are heavy duty right?

So nitro power on electric parts. maybe BL parts.. would be okay... but brushed... you would toss bones, strip splines, burn gears etc...
I dont run nitro but as an elctric runner, it was my understanding that upgrading to nitor parts was "bullet proofing" your electric...

um what nitro parts whould you add to a electric ? are you talking about the tecko kit that comes with, a clutch where you can use a clutch bell on the elec ?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm a (was) deihard electric freak up until 2 weeks ago.

I bought a Losi 2.0T and converted it immediatly to electric. Crazy power...too much crazy power! Most of the drivers at my local track drive nitro so I thought why not...? Bought a Losi 2.0 EU buggy kit and biult it to run nitro...all I can say is...I will probably not drive electric again for a long time.
The sound...the smell...running lap after lap has me hooked.

I do not know why nitro drivers are converting to electric. Every brushless buggy/truggy I have seen run has WAY too many issues. If you like working on your 1/8 car and problem solving...buy electric. If you want to really drive and run one lap after the other...buy nitro! IMO...
Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yea it's all about the nitro when running scalers.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Dookiman
I'm a (was) deihard electric freak up until 2 weeks ago.

I bought a Losi 2.0T and converted it immediatly to electric. Crazy power...too much crazy power! Most of the drivers at my local track drive nitro so I thought why not...? Bought a Losi 2.0 EU buggy kit and biult it to run nitro...all I can say is...I will probably not drive electric again for a long time.
The sound...the smell...running lap after lap has me hooked.

I do not know why nitro drivers are converting to electric. Every brushless buggy/truggy I have seen run has WAY too many issues. If you like working on your 1/8 car and problem solving...buy electric. If you want to really drive and run one lap after the other...buy nitro! IMO...

+1 once you go nitro you dont want to go back !

most of the guys that what, to convert to 1/8 electric are guys that ran electric 1/10 already and they dont want to mess with nitro tuning clean up etc.

and not to metion you can fill, a tank up quicker than changeing a battery for a pit stop .

and i agree the 1/8 electric are , too powerfull for racing most guys i seen drive them crash like crazy lol.

i used to race nothing but electric offroad, a while ago even with a brushless system not 1/8 though.
i dint like all that torque.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know why some of you say electric is less reliable then nitro?

I ran nitro on my first buggy when I was 12. I had a ATR Protech phaser 4rs (same as ofna mbx ultra) with stock engine and I had engine problems all the time. Then I quited RC for a while and started again since this year.

Now I'm running a Tekno mbx6 with a Neu 1512 1850kv, MMM esc and Turnigy lipo's. I've never had a single problem with my setup... I own it for 4 months now. There are just too many noobs in the electro scene and there a lot failures because of user errors. (all they think of is gear it fast so they can pass the nitro's on the straight )
The V1 and V2 of the MMM had a few problems, but the V3 seems to be much better. And yes the Tekin rx8 is a very good ESC but indeed, it's fails quite often. I'm sure Tekin is working hard to get the problem fixed. 1/8 electric is still pretty new, but I'm sure the brushless will get more reliable every year.

And to be honnest, I'd like to run nitro too. The feel of the clutch, sound, less torque than brushless, ... But when I think of my first buggy, I'm too scared to run intro problems And brushless is a bit cheaper then nitro so I went the electric way.

@TS: Why do you want to convert an electric car into nitro? Just sell it and buy a nitro car.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth

I ran nitro on my first buggy when I was 12. I had a ATR Protech phaser 4rs (same as ofna mbx ultra) with stock engine and I had engine problems all the time. Then I quited RC for a while and started again since this year.

Now I'm running a Tekno mbx6 with a Neu 1512 1850kv, MMM esc and Turnigy lipo's. I've never had a single problem with my setup... I own it for 4 months now. There are just too many noobs in the electro scene and there a lot failures because of user errors. (all they think of is gear it fast so they can pass the nitro's on the straight )
The V1 and V2 of the MMM had a few problems, but the V3 seems to be much better. And yes the Tekin rx8 is a very good ESC but indeed, it's fails quite often. I'm sure Tekin is working hard to get the problem fixed. 1/8 electric is still pretty new, but I'm sure the brushless will get more reliable every year.

And to be honnest, I'd like to run nitro too. The feel of the clutch, sound, less torque than brushless, ... But when I think of my first buggy, I'm too scared to run intro problems And brushless is a bit cheaper then nitro so I went the electric way.

@TS: Why do you want to convert an electric car into nitro? Just sell it and buy a nitro car.
Your comparing your experience with a ofna and mugen if you had a good nitro set-up (like you do electric) you may not have had those same issues. I am sure at 12 years old you beat that ofna pretty hard.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by morgoth

nitro engines these days are, much easier to tune and more relible than the old nitro engines thats for sure. the only way you will blow up a engine if there is no smoke coming from the pipe.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Your comparing your experience with a ofna and mugen if you had a good nitro set-up (like you do electric) you may not have had those same issues. I am sure at 12 years old you beat that ofna pretty hard.
I know, I started with a crappy car and engine, but it made me scared of nitro Scared to run into troubles again...
Maybe I'll try nitro one day... I still have all the parts to make my mbx6 nitro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.