R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default air leak

usually makes your engine run lean and hot right? Or at least erratic but still leaner in general?
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
cary's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

you said it all
__________________
Xray XB8 14,AE RC8T3,XB9 13,Kyosho wheeler,Losi SCTE 2.0,+ More
> The Animal,Frank L. Jr. <
~~~~RedRock Hobbies~~~~
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
you said it all
so does this mean i am right? or are you saying i talk to much


I am going through a process of elimination. eliminating an air leak would be a HUGE help.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
so does this mean i am right? or are you saying i talk to much
BOTH
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 3,470
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

And the search function works too. Seriously.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
BOTH

This is good news!!

The bad news is i still have to get ready for a 10 am start time tomorrow, its 10:30 and i have shocks to rebuild and 2 diffs etc. Ahhh good times i tell ya!

Would a weak glo (weather it be ignitor or plug) be responsible for a extremely low idle? This is my last hope. That or the last 2 jugs of oddonnel fuel i have bought are bad.

I have heard that a weak battery or plug creates a weak glo that never gets hot enough.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
This is good news!!

The bad news is i still have to get ready for a 10 am start time tomorrow, its 10:30 and i have shocks to rebuild and 2 diffs etc. Ahhh good times i tell ya!

Would a weak glo (weather it be ignitor or plug) be responsible for a extremely low idle? This is my last hope. That or the last 2 jugs of oddonnel fuel i have bought are bad.

I have heard that a weak battery or plug creates a weak glo that never gets hot enough.
im not sure, i mean it would make since, your not burning the fuel so it would be rich. change it and try it out. Did leaning it out not fix it???
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
And the search function works too. Seriously.
really? You took all that time to come in my thread and post that i should use a "search function"?

UUhhhh ***sigh***

great more time wasted.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
im not sure, i mean it would make since, your not burning the fuel so it would be rich. change it and try it out. Did leaning it out not fix it???
Unfortunatley no. It's makes it worse actually. I am holding out hope that it's just a really bad tune. But on both engines? Least i can stop going nuts chasing an air leak.

THe only thing i have not changed in both engines is the rear bearings which are not that old and felt fine when i checked.

It's almost like there is water in the fuel. My mid range needles are flush with the hole in the middle. I hope my mid needles are not screwed up so bad i cannot get a tune.

The engine screams on top but will not idle and take off is good too.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Unfortunatley no. It's makes it worse actually. I am holding out hope that it's just a really bad tune. But on both engines? Least i can stop going nuts chasing an air leak.

THe only thing i have not changed in both engines is the rear bearings which are not that old and felt fine when i checked.

It's almost like there is water in the fuel. My mid range needles are flush with the hole in the middle. I hope my mid needles are not screwed up so bad i cannot get a tune.
if its in two engines and it just started it your fuel or tank most likely. to check your mid range take your high speed needle off the carb body and make sure the spray nozzle for the mid range is facing straight up the high speed needle.


People say put the mid range flush n the 2 o clock pos, from my findings its actually like 12-1. 2 is a little far
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
if its in two engines and it just started it your fuel or tank most likely. to check your mid range take your high speed needle off the carb body and make sure the spray nozzle for the mid range is facing straight up the high speed needle.


People say put the mid range flush n the 2 o clock pos, from my findings its actually like 12-1. 2 is a little far
so it might be an air leak in my tank? I don't see any air bubbles. Maybe a couple but nothing to make it idle like this. How could my tank do this when i thought i eliminated air leaks?
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
so it might be an air leak in my tank? I don't see any air bubbles. Maybe a couple but nothing to make it idle like this. How could my tank do this when i thought i eliminated air leaks?
if your 100% sure your tank is good, lines are good, exhaust seals are good. then i would go after your fuel, dont dump it out but just buy a new gallon from a different location
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
RUNNINONMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YOUR MOMS HOUSE
Posts: 345
Default

did you rebuild the engine properly piston and rod in the right direction. not that i dont think you know what your doin just sometime we overlook things
like that. well ive have atleast maybe that means i dont know what im doin huh
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
RUNNINONMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YOUR MOMS HOUSE
Posts: 345
Default

but i would definatly stop trying to run it and tear it back down because if the rear bearing is not seated all the way and the crank pin is hitting the back plate you could be doin more harm than you would think.
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 3,470
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
really? You took all that time to come in my thread and post that i should use a "search function"?

UUhhhh ***sigh***

great more time wasted.

Just seems like you start new threads everytime you have a question. Which is fine I guess, but using the search function on here will reveal a ton of info. And in the time it took you to post this question and wait for answers, you could have read 10 pages of info regarding this.

The more you read the more you'll know.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Leak or Tune? CraigM Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 7 10-24-2007 10:44 PM
air leak on nitro engine dotmatrix Nitro On-Road 10 11-30-2006 08:13 AM
engine air leak?? oderem Nitro On-Road 13 07-12-2006 01:55 PM
HOW TO CHECK FOR A AIR LEAK? DAVE BERNATH Electric Off-Road 8 08-29-2005 03:12 PM
Nova Rossi engine Air leak or fuel leak? Solara Nitro On-Road 15 01-21-2005 03:00 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:09 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net