R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I see this thread as nothing more than a hate column for those who really don't have a clue about how ROAR operates and how they truly affect our little hobby.

ROAR was established for the racer by the racers who were for the most part already in what was the industry back then. National rules were the main focus so all could be on the same page all over the country when it came time to face off at the Nationals and Regionals.

The same still holds true today. ROAR is made up of racers, ex racers and folks who are part of the industry.

If the rules were left up to the "racers" our hobby would be so friggen expensive only the Elite and rich could afford it. Our cars would be all hand made and build using wind tunnels and unobtainium.

All of this boils down to ask yourself one very basic question: Am I a ROAR member?

If no, you don't have a voice here, as it really doesn't affect you.

If yes, you should know how to correctly voice your opinion.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
I see this thread as nothing more than a hate column for those who really don't have a clue about how ROAR operates and how they truly affect our little hobby.

ROAR was established for the racer by the racers who were for the most part already in what was the industry back then. National rules were the main focus so all could be on the same page all over the country when it came time to face off at the Nationals and Regionals.

The same still holds true today. ROAR is made up of racers, ex racers and folks who are part of the industry.

If the rules were left up to the "racers" our hobby would be so friggen expensive only the Elite and rich could afford it. Our cars would be all hand made and build using wind tunnels and unobtainium.

All of this boils down to ask yourself one very basic question: Am I a ROAR member?

If no, you don't have a voice here, as it really doesn't affect you.

Well stated
Landscaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Roar hyperbole

They are lexan bodies. Roar is just trolling the racers that's my perception. I believe if you send a racer away because his body is cab forward i think we ought to turn away people who have ugly bodies and possibly out law body wraps cause this is not what the lexan bodies were intended for. By the logic of roar. It's bananas.

Also how about the rear wings why no regulation on those ? That prolly has a greater effect then a cab forward.

Just a super poor decision by roar and lost that last of the itty bitty cred they had left.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #94
Tech Master

the lexan bodies weren't adopted because of the paint, they were adopted because it's the easiest way to protect the internals, they are durable, and easy to mold... the last part is what causes the issue, that manufacturers think just because you can make it into any shape it's ok...

ROAR HAS to regulate the dimensions of the bodies in order to maintain some sort of standard. This interim manufacturing date thing is only the first step. Given how out of control it got already, I think they are doing ok.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #95
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey View Post
Why doesn't ROAR just copy EFRA or IFMAR rules for racing? Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different.
IFMAR is influenced by ROAR, not the other way round (normally). ROAR is a bloc of IFMAR. The Vice President of IFMAR is the president of ROAR. It's all connected together.

By the way, let me give the ROAR RMT some credit. They enforced the rules very well at the Off-Road Fuel Nationals in Colorado last week. The penalty for your car moving on the starting grid was one lap! After all the mains were run, only 1 car moved the whole event. That is a welcome change to use a firm hand on our American starting grid, the way it should be.
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #96
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Also how about the rear wings why no regulation on those ? That prolly has a greater effect then a cab forward.
Wings are regulated. ROAR, EFRA, IFMAR, etal
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #97
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs down The common problem that kills rules committees.....

I'n not so sure about ROAR's position on these bodies. First off, I do not have a problem with having to make tough decisions in regards to rules and rule enforcements. That is not an issue.

When I first heard about this it was concerning the truck bodies.

1. It was explained to me by a ROAR official that there was a problem with having the shock towers exposed. It was cited as a safety precaution. I then pointed that we have been running buggies for years with no problems.
2. Then the argument against these bodies was focused on IFMAR. They don't have truggies in their races. If they do it is up and coming.
3. Then and only then did it become a spirit of the rules argument. The problem I had with it was they only gave this ridiculous position to the Proline Bulldog body.

Now the argument turned and centered on the Proline Bulldog body for buggies in the time leading up to the Nats.

1. It was openly held by ROAR that certain bodies would be deemed illegal.
2. Come race time, ROAR changes their tune again. All of the questionable bodies were allowed besides the Proline Bulldog.

I have a very large concern with these decisions that ROAR has made.
1. There were no rules in place to allow such a ruling. The "spirit of the rules" issue does not apply here. These buggies are not realistic in any way. Their real counterparts are boxy and the suspension elements look like pencil sticks compared to what we race and what is accepted on a world wide stage.
2. With no rules in place, why go out of your way to make a ruling just before the Nats? What do you hope to acheive.
3. Then when you do make a ruling, why only pose it on one body that you have a problem with? Make it for all manufacturers. This is a very questionable ruling since it was only held for Proline.

This activity should be very concerning to racers attending these races. It is ridiculous to think that it is OK to just do whatever you want to do outside of the guidelines of a published rule book.
ROAR should propose the rule and add it in at the end of the year. This how it is done in most respectable rules bodies that govern competitions.
Bad call ROAR. You should come out and address this issue or I have a feeling some big changes will be coming you guy's way.

Before anyone jumps my behind...
I am a ROAR member. I did not go to the Nats this year and this was one of the reasons.
I have been racing for over 25 years.
I have ran and participated in several competition governing bodies in other industries.
This kind of activity really bothers me, regardless of who it is.

TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #98
Tech Regular

Guys how is it that the Bulldog can be used in the Euros ?

jelayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #99
Tech Fanatic

I seen that too
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #100
Tech Adept

how about this one banned by ROAR

Last edited by shifter; 07-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.
shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #101
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

If no, ROAR stills affects you and your r/c racing

ROAR member or not their decisions affect nearly all racers. I don't understand why the Bulldogs/Punishers arn't allowed, but banning a stock body and then allowing the buggy makes absolutly no sense. That just hurts the manufacturers.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #102
Tech Adept

Quote:

hmmmm..... lets see if it wasn't for Gene Hustings building a one off RC 10, Gil Losi with the JRX2 all of his designs, Mike Dunn with his creations, Jason and Brad with the BJ4 and the countless others with ingenuity of parts and designs we wouldn't have the cars of today. So lets ban that?

I grew up with all of that, seeing parts and one off stuff that no one even saw(privilege of working for RacePrep back in the 80's). This is actually what made RC racing what it has become. Actually there should be more. Now it seems that innovation is out and copying is the norm. I guess different times.

As long as it meets the ROAR rule book let it fly. It has only made the hobby better.

Last edited by shifter; 07-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #103
Tech Adept

One last thing why is it that ROAR has banned 1/8th scale bodies and not 1/10th off road?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

I think that the biggest problem that most people have with the body rule is not that it was passed, but the way it was passed. My experience with EFRA has been that any rule change is advertised well in advance and it won't be effective until the next year. That gives everyone the opportunity to adjust to the rules for the entire season before the nationals take place. Plus they almost never target a specific product. In regards to bodies, they pass a set of guidelines with precise techable measurements, and then leave it up to the manufacturers to get the bodies inside of the measurements.

Maybe there is something that ROAR could learn from their example. Having raced in the states and raced in Europe, I can tell you that ROAR has a looooong way to go to come close to the europeans, who set a much higher standard than ROAR.
Matthew Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

EUROS are run under EFRA as they are european championship and EFRA does not have any crazy rules for offroad bodies.
Sakura Zero S - LRP Quantum, Saturn 20T
KoPropo Eurus
wallot is offline   Reply With Quote