Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR quit being stupid

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
That's a lot in race fees to give up, considering you can get $2,000,000 liability insurance for half of that if you shop around. Not to mention all the guys that just want to run on the track once without having to get a membership.
They dont have any out of pocket expenses though..1-2 new racers a week fill out the roar paperwork and they just send in the money. They did this for a few months and now everyone who races or practices at their track have roar memberships..no body has ever gotten severely injured so I have no clue what would actually happen if someone did, and I hope I never find out
Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

And one other item, there is only ONE (1) paid employee at ROAR, the administrator. He does just that, the administrative dutes. He does not take part in the rules making process.

Ed M.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Somebody put roar out of their misery. They cant make a rule rite for any class, on or off road electric or nitro. Big races killed regionals. I imagine back when regionals were big, there was a smaller amount of big races to choose from making regionals more important. Roar needs to realize that and make sure that regionals qualify for something.

To bad roar controls the slots for the worlds, or anybody could take over the "Nationals". It's just a title, roar does not have the only rites to the title "Nationals"
Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bentgear
Yep, a contract is a contract, now get it to hold water againt a 14 year old that came out to the track without his parents and runs
Therein lies your first basic problem: you have to have parties capable of contracting, otherwise it's null and void ab initio. There's an old saying that goes "you can't fix stupid."

It's a fairly easy fix though, just get the parents/guardian to sign for the child.

...lawyer thats willing to dig into every little thing that was not 100% correct anywhere at the track on race day, juries that love to give out money. Your hold harmless agreement just got turned into toilet paper.
There's a maxim in law: if the foundation is weak, the work is weak. Whether it's an insurance policy with ROAR, or a private contract with a track owner, if it's not built on sound principles, it will not protect you. Period. I prefer to rely on contracts that I write myself, because I know what's in them and are far easier to defend than something written by a corporate attorney in Legalese that is probably designed from its inception with hidden loopholes.

People rely on lawyers too much to solve their problems, rather than acting like adults and solving matters amongst themselves privately. That's why settlements are these huge, outrageous amounts and the only ones that really benefit are the law firms, whereas the actual injured party has to limp away with a check for 60 bucks.

There have been some alternatives in the past and presently there is RC Pro. NORRCA came and went. To come up with an alternative its going to take a very dedicated group of individuals, I think that is part of the ROAR problem. Look at the voting records, nobody even bothers.

Ed M.
That's a good point you bring up, and it's at the heart of the problem: people want the benefits of a sanctioning body,but don't want the responsability that comes with maintaining it, and just like a garden that isn't tended to, the weeds grow out of control... And then folks complain that everything is screwed up.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Captain, I don't disagree with anything you have posted. My problem is track owners will get the 14 year old to sign cause they want him/her to race. What about the 14 year old that shows up at a major race at the facility from out of town that is not riding with parents? There are just too many variables to rely on them. Even the tracks using ROAR insurance should have another additional policy.

BTW, ROAR insurance has paid some claims in the past. They are not discussed publicly.

Ed M.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

OK I have a concern then only because of a past experience of a racer at an event. There was a racer who was marshalling at a big race down south a few years ago who got hit in the face with a truggy at about 30-40 mph because it went off the backside of the track straightaway. Using this as an example, a runaway, a bump just before a high speed coorner or some other issue could get a car off the track.

Now lets say hypothetically it was just a spectator who happened to be driving by and had never seen rc racing before. Since they are obviously not a roar member, what happens then? All liability placed on the track event coordinator or lhs that is running it when I assume they think they are protected by Roar?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Pretty sure that's covered by ROAR insurance the track buys on a yearly basis........
Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

well after looking through the list i didnt see this one on there...

Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by looper

excuse my lack of 1/8 scale knowledge, but what body and buggy is that?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gsrman4885
excuse my lack of 1/8 scale knowledge, but what body and buggy is that?
jammin x1cr

Venom body
Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by looper

like that body shell?where u get it?....i'm still a very very small racer..don't know bout much of the rules..simply a lot of headache with this bodyshell rule..
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Captain, I don't disagree with anything you have posted. My problem is track owners will get the 14 year old to sign cause they want him/her to race. What about the 14 year old that shows up at a major race at the facility from out of town that is not riding with parents? There are just too many variables to rely on them. Even the tracks using ROAR insurance should have another additional policy.

BTW, ROAR insurance has paid some claims in the past. They are not discussed publicly.

Ed M.
+ 1 captain is a forum tough guy. blah blah blah. a waiver isnt going to hold up its a WAIVER to make people happy thats about it.
signed, mickey mouse like my waivers
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What I don't understand are these two points:

1) If these "banned" bodies take away from the spirit of racing (ROAR's main rules), what the heck is a 1/8 buggy supposed to look like? There's no basis in reality for the class at this point. Half of the bodies on that list are regular style 1/8 bodies, with no cab-forward design.

2) If the bodies were banned for the reason of cost control, then why are they banning bodies that come STOCK WITH A VEHICLE?!?!?! Now they have to go and buy another body and custom fit it to their chassis. Hardly saving anyone any money . . . . .

Oh, and let's not forget that Losi's bodies, the ones that started this trend, are still legal.

<rips up ROAR membership card> - worst $52 I ever spent in my life . . . . . .
Old 07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Thanks ROAR for all the stuff you do... and thanks for spelling correctly as well, because most of the stuff you guys write has good grammar and spelling
Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why doesn't ROAR just copy EFRA or IFMAR rules for racing? Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.