R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
You'll have to forgive me, I don't really understand the fundamental nature of the problem that ROAR has: why are certain bodies "legal" and others not?

1/8 buggy isn't a miniaturized version of a full-size racing formula, so ALL chassis and ALL bodies are fictional, designed purely for performance... Could someone please explain the criteria that ROAR are using to create a tempest in a teapot? Thanks
Your right if they were true 1/8 scale the tires would be half the size that they are. Right now if everything were true to scale we would be hitting jumps that are 32 feet high and jumping 240 feet. There are very few if any full scales that can jump that far. None that can do it under race conditions...lol I think with ROAR it comes down to who's padding who's pocket.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Tech Legend

ROAR

R those guys still around ?
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why can't all the racers just get together and have another national championship? This nich is not that big.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Man all the tracks around here went to a required roar membership to cut down on INS cost without that most of them would go under.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Man all the tracks around here went to a required roar membership to cut down on INS cost without that most of them would go under.
Absolutely correct there.
supralative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If there were no rules there would be no racing. As much as I hate them I respect them.

Neil Armstrong 1968
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
If there were no rules there would be no racing. As much as I hate them I respect them.
True, but some of these rules you just have to step back and ask... Really? I just don't understand some of their rules, and the logic/explanation behind them.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Roar is a bit out of touch. Only good for thier insurance, and tracks have been finding insurance elswhere anyway.

IFMAR has allways seemed to have better rules and officials. Most tracks don't enforcethe rules for 1/8th scale.

And I've yet to see anything significant from any racer that was outside the rules and worked. I've seen racers put truggy fuel tanks and OS .28xz's in thier buggy, really didn't make them faster at all. (but fun as $hit to race) Seems to me that 1/8th scale deosn't really have any rules bickering that 1/10th scale constantly has, doesn't seem to need any anyway. ROARs jumping the gun again.

Folks tried V3 tires, they didn't work. 1/8th scale really deosn't need such restrictions. It seems to be staying true to form.

Now the Sperm Truggy bodies are weird. But truggys are just by nature, stupid looking. Why do they even attempt to make those resemble trucks at all is beyond me. just throw a long buggy body on them and be done with it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

at the big races they do have spec tables and if you fail any of the rules you are disqualified. they sometimes send the top 5 to spec in case 1 or 2 fail, some big races follow ROAR rules and some follow Ifmar but at most of the big races they do follow some sort of rules and or guidelines and if you dont comply you are toasted
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Personally, I don't really have an issue with the forward cab bodies, but I understand where ROAR is coming from. There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, otherwise a buggy will look like an F1 car soon... air ducts, advanced wings, etc. Aerodynamics are one thing that all r/c cars could take advantage of, but that would add cost and complexity. I think ROAR is trying to stop that before it happens.

Everybody loves to hate the person/organization who makes/enforces the rules. That's because everybody wants different rules. But we need to respect the rules, whatever they are. ROAR is trying to do what is in the best interest of the racer, even if its not always obvious at first. I've been to 17 ROAR nationals since 2000, and in recent years they are leaps and bounds above where they used to be. Sure, certain things could use some tweaking, but overall ROAR has made some great improvements and I'm sure they will continue to do so as time goes on.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde View Post
There needs to be a line drawn somewhere
I agree, though I think that what seems to be bothering most of us is that we don't know where that alleged line is, and probably as a result, appears to be enforced arbitrarily.

Quote:
otherwise a buggy will look like an F1 car soon...
In many ways, they already do, and IMHO, that's a good thing; I'm not too fond of the metal-plates-over-tube-frame look that "real" off road buggies have, but of course that's merely a matter of taste; subjective.

Quote:
air ducts, advanced wings, etc. Aerodynamics are one thing that all r/c cars could take advantage of, but that would add cost and complexity. I think ROAR is trying to stop that before it happens.
Cost is actually the greatest regulator of all: if buggy prices start to skyrocket, far fewer people will be able to afford them and the hobby goes downhill, so in many ways the consumer's ability/desire to spend is/will be what keeps the market in check. Do you realize that a Kyosho Burns from 22 years ago was about $500? Overall, prices have remained fairly stable in the hobby, but we get a lot more bang for that buck now than we did back then.

As for winglets and other aero devices, again, I think that market price/demand will determine that, and where the almighty dollar fails, practicality will kick-in. Remember, you can't apply the same downforce-generating devices and methods as, say, an F1 car, simply because when you're racing on dirt, the surface is uneven, rendering certain aero devices unreliable, and would also kick-up so much loose dirt/dust that any such gimmicks would be canned the first time out.

Quote:
Everybody loves to hate the person/organization who makes/enforces the rules. That's because everybody wants different rules.
No, we just want to know what the specific rule is, and not have some ambiguous regulations be applied arbitrarily.

Quote:
But we need to respect the rules, whatever they are. ROAR is trying to do what is in the best interest of the racer, even if its not always obvious at first..
Funny, the impression I get (however erroneous it may be) is that ROAR is just trying to throw its weight around to convince people that we still "need" an organization that is incapable/unwilling to adapt to the reality of the modern day.

Also, I have to question the usefulness of a regulation that is not in line with other regulatory bodies, and would compel manufacturers to produce a whole new bodyshell to comply with the rules of *one* event, or risk being disqualified. To me, THAT is F1-style waste.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico

We need a different organization for nitro racing and electric racing
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's a shame for the aftermarket, they should be able to showcase there new stuff to all the racers , mags, and online users at a big race like ROAR Nats but ROAR wont let them, this hurts the aftermarket and the people that support the hobby and racers, shame on you ROAR.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie View Post
It's a shame for the aftermarket, they should be able to showcase there new stuff to all the racers , mags, and online users at a big race like ROAR Nats but ROAR wont let them, this hurts the aftermarket and the people that support the hobby and racers, shame on you ROAR.
i still bought a bulldog body. F--- Roar : )

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #30

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default idea????

what would it take to make up another race ruling body made up of racers?
how many of the ROAR officals really race every week on what (WE THE RACERS)PAY THEM FOR??? or lets put new people in there positions that give a damn and care for racing. are we not the people that vote and put them in power, lets clean house in ROAR, AND MAKE A CHANGE
LOSIRACER77 is offline   Reply With Quote