R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
rc_in_mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wheaton IL
Posts: 295
Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico
Default Whats the difference?

Ive noticed that a lot of guys think that RTR buggies are worthless because they cost less than their own buggies. A great examole is OFNA RTR buggies. a lot of people put them down because they dont have expensive all the fancy parts that expensive race buggies have. But the fact is that some that racers have these cheaper RTR buggies and dominate in at their track with ony a new servo and race tires. Why do most racers try to push new guys to buy expensive cars when they when they can be racing for around $400?
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

when you get serious about it and become obsessed like the rest of us you will see the difference. RTR's use cheaper parts, crappy servo's and pull start or roto-start engines. The biggest factor is usually the chassis is just a slab of metal instead of milled aluminum, and the radio it comes with is sub-par to say the least ( losi 2.0 excluded) A really good driver can kick our butts with a cinderblock that has tires and an engine in it, so you really cant compare the two in that aspect. Give a good driver a RTR and the pro kit version and you will see his/her lap times be about 3-4 seconds slower with the RTR
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
newuserlosi8t's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sacramento
Posts: 2,051
Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default

i agree i had rtr and race roller u can tell a major diffrence.
and to rc in mexico
i was pushed to buy a race roller and it was the best choice i made but yes u can race a rtr and be competitive but with race roller it makes alot off diffrence imo.
__________________
zo1b team option buggy
mg66 go 2072 a main fuels savox servos
TEAM DRIVER FOR----ANSWERRC-USA--- PREMIEREHOBBIES--answerrcusa.com-http://premierehobbies.com ***Contact me for pricing and information on Argus, Hyperion, Max Amps, Durango and Savox***
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Dozey83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 29
Default

in answer to the question asked, I think that the people that push people who are interested to get into our sport to buy the latest and greatest car and engine are plain WRONG!

The best advice i can give someone who is looking at getting into nitro RC is to buy a DECENT RTR, like the ofna hyper 7/8 RTR cars, these come with .21 race legal engines. To me the most important thing when someone is starting out is NOT having the best car and engine that cost 1000s but having a car that will not break when you crash hard like everyone does when they are new, that is easy to work on, and is cheap and easy to replace parts if and when they do break it.

The hyper 7/8 cars are great for this as they are bomb proof, the engines they come with have plenty of power for a new user and are easy to run in. save the money as the latest and greatest car will not make you drive any better, practise will! if you have spent all your money on the car and engine then you have no money left to buy the tyres that suit your local track and to spend on track time to get better steadily.

Yes you do get guys that are of the opinion that unless you are driving the latest hyper 9 or MP9 or 8ight 2.0 or mugen etc you are not worth the time of day, and are a laughing stock, are just snobs and are infact themselves not worth the time of day! fact is that we were all there once and give people time to improve! You will find that most companies do an entry level version of their full bore race buggies, these are if anything overkill for most 1st timers, but that also means that as you improve the car is capable or taking it so you are not kit limited straight away!

Anyway, apologies for the rant, as you can tell, this kind of thing bugs me and i only hope that my words are of some help to someone!
Dozey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
rc_in_mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wheaton IL
Posts: 295
Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico
Default

but their are some RTRs that can be converted to Pro versions. I think a lot of guys arent in nitro because they think the need $1000+ to get started in nitro. I personally havnt raced my nitro buggy until next month but Ive seen noobs with an RTR buggy make the Amain at a track in texas(not sure exactly where). I think most buggies are ok for club racing with only the right tires, a high torque servo and a gallon of fuel. A Hobao Hyper can be hopped up to the kit version, regardless of model. I know that the Pro versions exist for a reason but I dont think they´re the best first choice for starting out in nitro
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozey83 View Post
in answer to the question asked, I think that the people that push people who are interested to get into our sport to buy the latest and greatest car and engine are plain WRONG!

The best advice i can give someone who is looking at getting into nitro RC is to buy a DECENT RTR, like the ofna hyper 7/8 RTR cars, these come with .21 race legal engines. To me the most important thing when someone is starting out is NOT having the best car and engine that cost 1000s but having a car that will not break when you crash hard like everyone does when they are new, that is easy to work on, and is cheap and easy to replace parts if and when they do break it.

The hyper 7/8 cars are great for this as they are bomb proof, the engines they come with have plenty of power for a new user and are easy to run in. save the money as the latest and greatest car will not make you drive any better, practise will! if you have spent all your money on the car and engine then you have no money left to buy the tyres that suit your local track and to spend on track time to get better steadily.

Yes you do get guys that are of the opinion that unless you are driving the latest hyper 9 or MP9 or 8ight 2.0 or mugen etc you are not worth the time of day, and are a laughing stock, are just snobs and are infact themselves not worth the time of day! fact is that we were all there once and give people time to improve! You will find that most companies do an entry level version of their full bore race buggies, these are if anything overkill for most 1st timers, but that also means that as you improve the car is capable or taking it so you are not kit limited straight away!

Anyway, apologies for the rant, as you can tell, this kind of thing bugs me and i only hope that my words are of some help to someone!
Ok, let's compare:

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR $699.99
Starter box INCLUDED
Good radio INCLUDED
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $819.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)


Hyper 8.5 RTR (the only hyper I could find) $359.99
Starter box (approximately- varies) $80
Good radio (approximately- varies) $250+
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $809.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)

So... you save $10 by going with the Hyper.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
rfleck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Ok, let's compare:

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR $699.99
Starter box INCLUDED
Good radio INCLUDED
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $819.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)


Hyper 8.5 RTR (the only hyper I could find) $359.99
Starter box (approximately- varies) $80
Good radio (approximately- varies) $250+
Good steering servo $120

TOTAL $809.99
(plus you need batteries, chargers, tools, etc.)

So... you save $10 by going with the Hyper.
Check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-Hyper-7-TQ-...item5ada7fd67f
__________________
Ron Fleck Jr.
Nemoracing USA!
Agama-Beta-Bullitt!
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

You get what you pay for................ example. I run Losi RRs. My neighbor said I was stupid for paying that much for this;. He got on tower and brought an Ofna something. He has paid more to keep it running than I have. He cant find parts, and had to replace the AM radio so he can race. He had to get a new engine after a gallon, the servos crapped out on him. It handles like crap. ect.....

Most of us who say to buy the GOOD stuff have been down the road of RTRs and the headaches they cause. We are not being pricks about tell you to get good stuff. We say it because we have been there. I have had more RC cars than alot of people and I have learned the hard way. In my opinion you get what you pay for.....
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Have a look at this thread and you will see why people with RC expierience will never recommend a RTR:

Buggy distroyed .. run away
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I do agree that the race buggies are equipped with stronger parts. I would say IF you have the money from the get-go, go ahead and get a race buggy. But, if you dont, like myself, I bought a Losi 8ight 1.0 RTR and just upgraded what I broke along the way. Now my buggy has ended up being pretty much a 2.0 race buggy with all the parts I have swapped (minus the chassis). And I dont have much money in it either considering I bought a used buggy, and some used upgrades.

I say for just local club racing, a RTR will do just fine, and when you break something, just upgrade it with better stuff. HOWEVER, I highly recommend going ahead and getting good servos for both steering and throttle and a good radio! Thats a MUST!!

All in all, get a RTR and slap some good servos in that bad boy and get a good radio and go race the thing!!!

As far as what other people think, well they are just mad because you just whooped their a$$ with a cheaper RTR when they have a buggy with loads of money in it with O.S. engines and stuff. But I think its funny when RTR out-do the top dollar ones. So when you are racing a RTR, make SURE you race with the RTR body so everybody knows!!
__________________
Team Losi Buggy
GO Tech 5 port RB Mods
AKA
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Have a look at this thread and you will see why people with RC expierience will never recommend a RTR:

Buggy distroyed .. run away
That guy did not have a throttle return fail safe rigged (rubber band/spring), so that can happen with the most expensive Race buggy you can think of if the Rx battery dies......

so thats not even RTR related
__________________
Team Losi Buggy
GO Tech 5 port RB Mods
AKA
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
That guy did not have a throttle return fail safe rigged (rubber band/spring), so that can happen with the most expensive Race buggy you can think of if the Rx battery dies......

so thats not even RTR related
I beg to differ. cheep am/fm radios glitch all the time and runaways are common. bottom line is there is a $50 radio and a $20 receiver that controls the entire $300-$400 machine
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
RUNNINONMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YOUR MOMS HOUSE
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I beg to differ. cheep am/fm radios glitch all the time and runaways are common. bottom line is there is a $50 radio and a $20 receiver that controls the entire $300-$400 machine
that guy had a 2.4 in it
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
MotoGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 3,701
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I beg to differ. cheep am/fm radios glitch all the time and runaways are common. bottom line is there is a $50 radio and a $20 receiver that controls the entire $300-$400 machine
I have had my Spektrum glitch as well.....the point being install a failsafe and be done with it ;-) 2.4Ghz glitches DO happen....just not as often. They are resistant to interference, but certainly not immune to it. So I don't think that can be related back to it being an RTR either....but I think everyone here is really saying the same thing.

Race Roller is better than RTR....if you can afford it. If you can only afford an RTR and it will get you out on the track racing....go do it and upgrade the servos first and the rest as budget allows.
__________________
Scott Pouliot
Current Race Rigs: TLR 8ight 3.0/3.0E/3.0T/22/22-4
==============================================
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
jeff_ellis_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grover, NC
Posts: 418
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I beg to differ. cheep am/fm radios glitch all the time and runaways are common. bottom line is there is a $50 radio and a $20 receiver that controls the entire $300-$400 machine
he had a 2.4

may want to re-read before you post
__________________
Team Losi Buggy
GO Tech 5 port RB Mods
AKA
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the difference between stock and mod? Canon39 Rookie Zone 20 03-22-2009 03:47 AM
whats the difference? evojuggalo Rookie Zone 12 06-22-2008 10:46 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net