RC8rs rtr VS Losi 2.0 rtr or Pro ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8rs rtr VS Losi 2.0 rtr or Pro ..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Default RC8rs rtr VS Losi 2.0 rtr or Pro ..

I need to get a new buggy because i had a slight run away.. with my picco... lesson learned ...
Keep in mind I have a Futaba radio and a nova engine already.. here is what im looking at and i need some tips and or suggestions ... Money is an issue I have alittle one on that way so every dollar saved is a good thing but i also want a good solid buggy...

these prices on pro kits are based on what i would need to get them going

RC8 rs (easy pay)... $500 (I have Jammin BB shocks i can put on it) plus easy pay on tower
Losi 2.0 rtr... $650 (its a losi)
RC8B (easy pay) / losi 2.0 roller..... $820-850 ( i need some new servos and starterbox etc.)
D8 .... $650
Odonnell SG ..... 780 (when it ships assuming the price is 450)

These prices are not exact i know but they are in the ballpark..

I am a rookie (kinda wanted to save that nova after i was good with nitro tuning thats why i got the picco) I would like to go to the track and race in the near future .. not just bash around .. just wanted to hear some opinions I love RC Tech there are so many helpful people here ..... I welcome all thoughts
Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

if all of these are within your budget print it up and throw darts at it let chance decide

alot of people say the the losi rtr's are competitive out of the box.

i would prefer to build something cause if something goes wrong its on you.
and you get to know the car inside and out.(d8) saves a few bucks and its a very raceable car.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RUNNINONMT
if all of these are within your budget print it up and throw darts at it let chance decide

alot of people say the the losi rtr's are competitive out of the box.

i would prefer to build something cause if something goes wrong its on you.
and you get to know the car inside and out.(d8) saves a few bucks and its a very raceable car.
Man you really crack me up

I second that i had a rtr 2.0 i also have an 2.0 rr and to be honest i run the losi 350 in the race roller, with a turbo button and it will hang with my spec of v's

The D8 is an amazing car and easy on the bank account, i would suggest you getting something that is cheap just incase another run away
Are you using 2.4?? if not i would suggest getting a fail safe
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

also u can knick that price of the losi down by goin to todd @ bluegrasshobbies (after the coupons he always has, u'll know). no worries if it lists 'outta stock' he'll drop ship 1 to you.

enjoy, and yes, outta the box. who cares bout RTR vs building a kit. ur going to tear it down and go thru it just to check and to learn the car anyway. granted losi has done a great job w/my last RTR (even better than 1 i bought in 1st batch this time last yr).

have fun.

R
Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you already have a radio and engine why and RTR? I know you said you want to save the engine but just use it.
With the RTR's you will have to replace the servos very soon anyway, so you might as well get the roller version since you don't need a radio and engine.

If I had it to do over I would have just bought the RC8B instead of the RTR. The engine only got about 3 gallons, and the servos didn't even make it that long. Plus once you start racing you are going to want to start trying to upgrade parts to the rollers anyway.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well thats another facet. if he has a radio he's absolutely sure he wants to use over the dx3s. then sell the dx3s kit, rx, servos, and telemetry on ebay for 200bux. now the RTR you bought for (well ask todd how cheap it is at his place) less 200 is now very inexpensive and u have still have a starter box and great .21 motor. whats not to love. not to mention the car is damn good. heck i made some more folks cry in their beer last nite with it...then again all the bread they spent they might have enuff to afford beer. on top a track i've not run on and Q1 was my 1st laps ha. more practice, some clutch work, and gettin tune closer at night (hurt having plug die in Q3 when weather was closest)....and it'll be scary good.

R
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Build a D8!

You don't need an RTR. You allready know how to blow cars up, so you don't need an RTR that deos that for you.

The Rc8rs is a bit obsolete without the bigbores and 10 hole pistons. Wears to quick as well. The Losi RTr is a nice RTR but you can build something better yourself.

The D8 is the easiest car to drive fast out of the ones you listed. Good rotation but still stable.

Get a Losi, HB, Xray, or Mugen. Build it right.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Build a D8!

You don't need an RTR. You allready know how to blow cars up, so you don't need an RTR that deos that for you.

The Rc8rs is a bit obsolete without the bigbores and 10 hole pistons. Wears to quick as well. The Losi RTr is a nice RTR but you can build something better yourself.

The D8 is the easiest car to drive fast out of the ones you listed. Good rotation but still stable.

X2

You've already got a radio and engine. You're off to a good start for putting a kit together. The four brands listed by Zerodefect are the ones I would look at. Can't beat the price of the HB car. I do love my Losi's though.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by English365
Man you really crack me up

I second that i had a rtr 2.0 i also have an 2.0 rr and to be honest i run the losi 350 in the race roller, with a turbo button and it will hang with my spec of v's

The D8 is an amazing car and easy on the bank account, i would suggest you getting something that is cheap just incase another run away
Are you using 2.4?? if not i would suggest getting a fail safe
I was using 2.4 im not sure what happened ... I was told by the guy at LHS the 2.4 will never run away.. I was using analog servos .. not sure what happened...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Build a D8!

so wrong
Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
well thats another facet. if he has a radio he's absolutely sure he wants to use over the dx3s. then sell the dx3s kit, rx, servos, and telemetry on ebay for 200bux. now the RTR you bought for (well ask todd how cheap it is at his place) less 200 is now very inexpensive and u have still have a starter box and great .21 motor. whats not to love. not to mention the car is damn good. heck i made some more folks cry in their beer last nite with it...then again all the bread they spent they might have enuff to afford beer. on top a track i've not run on and Q1 was my 1st laps ha. more practice, some clutch work, and gettin tune closer at night (hurt having plug die in Q3 when weather was closest)....and it'll be scary good.

R
If that i would want to keep the better radio .. I have the futaba 3pm 2.4... and it feels nice ... i heard the spectrum feels like a toy.. but has telemetry which is sweet
Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
I was using 2.4 im not sure what happened ... I was told by the guy at LHS the 2.4 will never run away.. I was using analog servos .. not sure what happened...

well thats not quite true even though, theres a fail safe on the 2.4 radios if your battery comes, disconnected or a loose wire it can run away .

but thats why you use, hair rubber bands on the carb so it will close the carb if that happens.

dont get the gmk bands, they are too thin and cant handle heat for long .
Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default New Buggy

Hot Bodies. They're inexpensive and you don't give up any quality or durability. I'll be going to HB pretty soon. There are always several new car brands on the market but I'd stay away from any brand that hasn't proven itself and been readily available for 2 or 3 years.