R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

my apologies, you are correct. I saw OFNA buggy and just assumed RTR with the stock radio and RX. The point I was trying to make though is that most RTR's do come with a cheep am/fm radio and a $20 RX which is much more likely to glitch..except maybe for the futaba
Old 06-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to rc_in_mexico Send a message via Yahoo to rc_in_mexico

a $20 failsafe can do until you buy a $200 radio. I think the only RTR that people dont put down is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. It has a $200 radio, you still needs a better servo. That means you pay $500 for an RTR plus $200 for a race radio, and you still need a better servo, tires for your track and a gallon of fuel,. so total you spend about $900+ for your first race attempt while I with an OFNA RTR will spend $400 for my first race. So who got ripped off? Ill run the RTR body in case anybody sees my buggies at Leisure hour raceway
rc_in_mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_in_mexico View Post
a $20 failsafe can do until you buy a $200 radio. I think the only RTR that people dont put down is the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. It has a $200 radio, you still needs a better servo. That means you pay $500 for an RTR plus $200 for a race radio, and you still need a better servo, tires for your track and a gallon of fuel,. so total you spend about $900+ for your first race attempt while I with an OFNA RTR will spend $400 for my first race. So who got ripped off? Ill run the RTR body in case anybody sees my buggies at Leisure hour raceway
All that really matters is that your having fun. If your enjoying your OFNA then great for you. The only thing is that its not fun when your cheap servos fail and it takes you out of a race. But i've run those cheap servos before and raced with them too, never had one fail. But now that i have the goos stuff ( Hitec) i'll never go back.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
Tech Regular

I already got a Hitec HS-645 steering servo and will be racing next month. What are good cheap tires for a clay track? I want to keep it under $50 with rims
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think the OFNA rtr's are a great starting point for alot of people to get into Rc. Its ridiculous to think most people will spend $1000 plus to get into something there not absolutely sure about and dont know how to build the car, ect, ect. they want to have fun and drive first and foremost.Most people at the track do turn there nose's up to OFNA rtr's ( even hyper 9 kits lol ). Its sad that attitude influences peoples decisions so much, drives people away from Rc. many people at the track act like these rtr folks dont exist and offer no help . Then eventually they dont exist because they get frustrated and quit.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
Tech Regular

I think tracks should start a class for nitro RTR(buggy, truggy, MT) and have a quart of gas or something like that as a prize to get people into racing. I think most noobs will have the same speed whether they drive a buggy, a truggy, or a monster truck in their first few races. This helps get people into racing and racers are who keep hobbyshops/racetracks alive. 90% of all new drivers hit jumps full speed, crash in every corner and just drive to have fun.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
Tech Regular

the class does exist it called the beginners class the class for beginners to learn and start racing. you should open a track and give a way fuel for prizes
ill be there.
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
That guy did not have a throttle return fail safe rigged (rubber band/spring), so that can happen with the most expensive Race buggy you can think of if the Rx battery dies......

so thats not even RTR related
can you explain this better to me? ive had it happen when I ran RCs two years ago, bought the fancy 60$ failsafe, it still kinda happened and had problems (shitty electronics)

but I would like to learn the rubber band/spring trick. thanks.
whatsitallworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #24

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default HAHAHAHA

I laugh only because i have had this same discussion at my lhs.. i have raced 1/8 losi for 3 years, 19 years all together, and i am buying a rtr 2.0 buggy reason being i have nothing left over from racing gas, so the rtr is the best way back into nitro.

the rtr buggy needs front and rear shock towers, chassis, shock caps, the gold shock shafts, (if u want) a full 4 shoe clutch. and maybe motor mounts from a 1.0 or a 2.0???

the rtr 350 motor is pretty good from what i seen. the radio is a plus. i wish i had the temp control on my 2.0 e buggy. i will be happy to have a rtr

i thnk all rtr have a chance to win.
LOSIRACER77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #25
Tech Regular

but most begginer classes are seperate for every type of viechle and there usually arent enough guys for a race so they have to go in sportsman or expert and are get mad because they dont even come close to the lead car and give up racing. and if theirīs a $10 fee for a race I dont think if theirs 6 or 7 racers a $9 quart of gas is a big expense. Plus its something that the racers look forward to.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsitallworth View Post
can you explain this better to me? ive had it happen when I ran RCs two years ago, bought the fancy 60$ failsafe, it still kinda happened and had problems (shitty electronics)

but I would like to learn the rubber band/spring trick. thanks.
maybe the failsafe was setup wrong. My buddy has one in his car and hes never had any problems other than sudden stops when his Rx battery died
Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
Tech Regular

i just want the fuel so ill sandbagg for the win yeeeehhhaaaaaaaa.

i understand where you are comming from but if you could get all the beginners to agree that you would all run in the same race and not complain about who wins or why (this sucks he won cause he was drivin a buggy and i was driving a monster truck)then there shouldn't be a problem. but why would you not want the competition to motivate you. because even in "your Beginner" class someone is gonna lose. so is that gonna stop the loosers from coming back because if they got beat by the beginners what does that mean?
RUNNINONMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

rc in mex you should sen dthe beginers to 1/8th wonder in san diego they have a novice class anything can run in as long as the person driving it is a novice class is sweet because now my 7 year old sun can run his banged out short course (mine) in a class and his buggy so send them there most tracks dont have novice class but at 1/8th wonder the class is usually full and its pretty much all little kids 10 and below and the funnest class to watch
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hmmm

D8 300
mx3 2.4 150
ofna box w power panel and battery 100
ace servo 80
decent throttle servo 40
ofna 086 55
Novarossi .21bf 140
gallon Byrons 20 percent 25
set of race tires 60
transponder 100

Total 1050.00 racin isn't cheap.
That's the inexpensive stuff while still being set up to win....
The box won't burn up.
the engine will last
the radio is proven
and so on...................
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is kinda funny. We have a guy with a hyper7 with just a good servo and tires and he's always in the top 3. But he burns about a gal. a week getting good.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote