Search

LIPO Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default LIPO Battery

LIPO battery users,

As we speak, my friend and his family nearly ended in tragedy due to a exploding LIPO battery in his car while he was driving.

The explosion measure about 8 feet into the air and virtually burn his car to the ground. However in the nick of time he manage to save himself and his family to avoid such tragedy cause by LIPO battery.

I will update more information including photos to his situation.

At the moment, I have sent numerous emails to ROAR, FAMAR, IFMAR, FEMCA and EFRA to call on the BAN and seriously investigate the sanction and should LIPO battery be allow in any form of RC racing.

DT

Last edited by Danny Teh; 06-24-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow! Sorry to hear that! Was the battery shorted?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

Wow, that is a tragedy. However, lipo batteries do carry warnings such as never short circuit, never over heat, never puncture, etc. Also ROAR Sanctioned events also require charging of lipos in a lipo sack if I am not mistaking. In no way am I trying to take the focus off of the tragedy at hand, lipos are just such a big part of the RC world now. Whether it be car, boat, or airplane.

Best reguards and prayers to your friend.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Damn sorry to hear this, glad everyone is ok.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

NOt that I know of.

Just that LIPO are dangerous battery to be use in RC racing.

There's kids in our hobby.

Concern and very concern.

DT
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

there are warnings all over the place. if handled correctly you shouldnt have an issue. the situation sucks for your friend, glad he is ok. but dont expect anything from the roar or ifmar
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Safety precautions are key to this hobby.

We travel to our races, bashing spots, and anywhere else our RCs will go with dangerous and hazardous materials by our side.

A fellow racer's cargo box caught on fire when the terminals of his starter box battery shorted on something metal, such as the nitro fuel container and ignited the nitro fuel setting everything in that box ablaze.

Lesson learned. keep batteries and other ignition sources away from nitro fuel. Maybe your friend should get a LiPo sack if he is still interested in the hobby to avoid this accident again.

As for your efforts, I'm not sure that a ban of LiPos will be achieved. Good luck though. I'll still use them in my starter box, radio, and rx battery and charge/discharge them to the manufacturers' specs.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Li-Po are very dangerous battery's. I think sometimes we stop losing respect for them and forget about their dangers. The fact is that they are every where now. They are in cell phones, Lap tops and cameras. I am glad your friend and his family are ok. Maybe this is a bit of a wake up call for the rest of us. My heart goes out to your friend and his family.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lipo are everywhere these days! just go to any toy shops and look at those miniature heli, am sure all are powered by lipo and the worst thing is kids fly those things then chug it under the bed at the end of the day!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Guys,

They are ok but in the state of shock especially his young daughter.

We all can be careful. No doubt.

But in the event, accident happen who is liable ?

Agenda

We all see they are sanction. By who ? By International organization of course. But where is our form of guarantee ??? If we charge and discharge by manufacturer instruction, are we in a form of guarantee in the event of accident ?

There's too many brands and REBRANDING in the market ? Can we sue them and those who sanction/allow LIPO to be use in RC Racing in the event of big accident ? if it is not abuse.

WE WANT THOSE AREAS COVERED !

------------------------------------------------------

Lipo is widely use ? YES...........but if any reputated electronics brands would have cause fire in our house or etc............man..........we will see you in court. That's some guarantee in the event loss of life/property.

----------------------------------------------------

I am not out for blood in this issue. But people who allow it to be use in RC Racing should bear in mind the consequences. Same with the BP oil thing. You cut corners, you will be liable.

Lipo battery ? If it is BAN, then problems would be minimise. Not quickly but gradually.

DT
Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

when nimh cells were on their way out the companies were pushing so much voltage through them that they were no safer than the lipos we use now.

i have yet to see a lipo explode, but i remember watching 6 cell nimh packs explode like blockbusters.

if people are careful and dont buy no name junk there should be no reason for all of us hobbyists to have to take a step backwards.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

stuff happens in nice words mr. mod
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny Teh
Guys,

They are ok but in the state of shock especially his young daughter.

We all can be careful. No doubt.

But in the event, accident happen who is liable ?

Agenda

We all see they are sanction. By who ? By International organization of course. But where is our form of guarantee ??? If we charge and discharge by manufacturer instruction, are we in a form of guarantee in the event of accident ?

There's too many brands and REBRANDING in the market ? Can we sue them and those who sanction/allow LIPO to be use in RC Racing in the event of big accident ? if it is not abuse.

WE WANT THOSE AREAS COVERED !

------------------------------------------------------

Lipo is widely use ? YES...........but if any reputated electronics brands would have cause fire in our house or etc............man..........we will see you in court. That's some guarantee in the event loss of life/property.

----------------------------------------------------

I am not out for blood in this issue. But people who allow it to be use in RC Racing should bear in mind the consequences. Same with the BP oil thing. You cut corners, you will be liable.

Lipo battery ? If it is BAN, then problems would be minimise. Not quickly but gradually.

DT
bud,there are warnings all over the place.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

sorry guys.

sometimes by creating awareness, we are creating a safer environment for all racers/hobbyist around the world.

like i said not out for blood. But a form of guarantee by our international / national organization would be nice and all of us would feel at ease when using rc equipment.

Better guideline, more rules and regulations, stringent manufacturer control and some sort of warranty would be pleasing.

DT
Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a feeling this is gonna get closed quick.

I use lipo's in everything I run, I charge in a sack and always set my chargers accordingly. Any part of this hobby is dangerous. If you ban Lipo's what about marshals? How many times have you seen a 7lb buggy hit somebody full speed? I have it hurts alot!! There are warnings on everything. Abide by the rules and your safe. Sorry to hear about what happened but this may go no where.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.