Wiki Posts
Search

8ight t 2.0 shock oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 8ight t 2.0 shock oil

I'm running 45wt/55piston in the front and 40wt/56piston in back. I changed from the standard thinking this would allow me alittle more room for error in landing bad jumps. Am i correct in thinking that? I know it makes the truck alittle less responsive. The track i'll be racing on this weekend is loose with a lot of turns and jumps. I can't decide if i want to stay with the 45/40 or go back with the 35/32.5. The fast guys are running the 35/32.5 but i'm no expert so i'm thinking the heavier oil will be easier to drive?!?! I won first in sportsman at the track last time with the 45/40 oil. The race this weekend is big and i'm not sure if i'll run sportsman or expert! What would you do? Help!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

45/40 is obviously working for you. I personally wouldn't make that big of a change without testing it before a big race. Stick with what's working for you and try the different setup on a practice day.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone else offer any help or advice? Am i even correct in thinking the heavier oil will dampen my landings? If so, what does it take away?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
Anyone else offer any help or advice? Am i even correct in thinking the heavier oil will dampen my landings? If so, what does it take away?
I will help u out here cause I just did this today. I have a hard pack track with big jumps and loose dirt. My starting point was 37.5f 35r. I went to 45f 42.5r and the Truck was along easier to drive and still felt good in the bumps. I also noticed it rotated alot easier making the car feel very controlable in the slick stuff that u typically slide on. I would try it!!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I agree. I'm gonna stay 45/40. Its gonna be like a heat index of 105 this weekend and we are racing in the middle of the day!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My personal setup is either 35/32.5 or 35/35 F/R. Pistons are 54's front and 56's rear. I have never run any higher than 35/35 in my truck, because it never needed anything heavier. The losi truck likes to run pretty light oil weights. I just got back from a race where the outside temp was 95+ degrees. Track surface was 130 degrees. 35/35 was dialed. Your oils are a LOT heavier than anything I have seen run in the losi. I personally wouldn't stay that heavy in the oil. If all of the fast guys are running 35/32.5 there is a reason for it. I think you'll find the truck drives a lot better with the correct oils. Running thicker oils really won't help you much with jump landings. Actually going to heavy can make the truck "bounce" more on landing. Don't worry about the chassis bottoming out a little. It isn't going to hurt the truck at all(speaking of your reference to heavier oils providing more room for error). In fact lighter oils should help the truck stay more planted(because it won't bounce) after a bad landing and help keep you going in the right direction.

Here is a copy of my setup to give you an idea of what I run. My only change to this setup is 35wt rear oil.
Attached Thumbnails 8ight t 2.0 shock oil-my-8t-2.0-setup-jpeg.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

I hear ya. Same battle I have been having. Not sure what I want to do. I'll probably go out and run my first qualifier with the 45/40 and if i'm good i'll keep it. If i feel the oil is causing me an issue i'll change it before the next qualifier.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

What kind of rebound you're setting your shocks up for? That also makes some difference in how your truggy lands off the jumps. As for moving up to expert, that's your call most guys our way you have to make them move up lol. See you Saturday! It's Jason by the way.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bacchus
I hear ya. Same battle I have been having. Not sure what I want to do. I'll probably go out and run my first qualifier with the 45/40 and if i'm good i'll keep it. If i feel the oil is causing me an issue i'll change it before the next qualifier.
I've got my truck dialed in to a point where it is almost effortless to drive. I really like the 35/35 shock setup in the summer heat. Give that setup I posted a try at some point.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jwcobra03
What kind of rebound you're setting your shocks up for? That also makes some difference in how your truggy lands off the jumps. As for moving up to expert, that's your call most guys our way you have to make them move up lol. See you Saturday! It's Jason by the way.
Like rebound when I bleed the shocks? Usually I push them in and they come back out about 3/4 of the way. Whats the best way? Whats your opinion on my oil weights?

What do you mean about moving up? I have to be invited up or just go up? I'm getting better and won first in sportsman the last 2 times. I just want to be in a competitive class. Sometimes the sportsman class is too laid back.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

You can move up on your own to expert, if that's where you feel you should be. Sometimes the race directors will make you move up if they feel your a sandbagger . If you have any questions feel free to come and see me saturday and i'll try to help you out.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jwcobra03
You can move up on your own to expert, if that's where you feel you should be. Sometimes the race directors will make you move up if they feel your a sandbagger . If you have any questions feel free to come and see me saturday and i'll try to help you out.
I got ya. I have only been racing since March and this Saturday will probably be my 8th or 9th race. I have had RC's most of my life tho. I feel like i should be in expert only based on my amount of competitiveness i'm looking for not my current driving skill. I'm sure you fast guys will have fun waxing me. LOL.

If at all possible i'd like to not have to change shock oil on race day. I can't make up my mind on whether to go lighter or just stay with the 45/40.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Default oil