Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy distroyed .. run away

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Default Buggy distroyed .. run away

I had an Ofna Buggy I was trying to tune ... about 1 gallon ... I started it up ran it a bit in the lot to get the engine up to temp.. and i was going to go down and run it on a semi natures track if you will ... ( empty retention pond) .. I ran for about 30 seconds .. then gave it some gas got it about 30 feet away ... hit the brake to turn it around .. then all of a sudden its gunned full throttle.. i had no control ... it hit a curb hitting it head on ... buggy came to a stop but then engine wound up so bad .... I was running .. but i couldn't make ... POP there goes my engine...thing bent in half breaking everything in its way ... front end and rear seem fine .. try is bent and everything else.. Engine threw the rod broke the piston and messed up the sleeve... What could have caused this?? I have a good radio ... Futaba 2.4 3pm.. this was my first and only buggy and im heart broken..
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
I had an Ofna Buggy I was trying to tune ... about 1 gallon ... I started it up ran it a bit in the lot to get the engine up to temp.. and i was going to go down and run it on a semi natures track if you will ... ( empty retention pond) .. I ran for about 30 seconds .. then gave it some gas got it about 30 feet away ... hit the brake to turn it around .. then all of a sudden its gunned full throttle.. i had no control ... it hit a curb hitting it head on ... buggy came to a stop but then engine wound up so bad .... I was running .. but i couldn't make ... POP there goes my engine...thing bent in half breaking everything in its way ... front end and rear seem fine .. try is bent and everything else.. Engine threw the rod broke the piston and messed up the sleeve... What could have caused this?? I have a good radio ... Futaba 2.4 3pm.. this was my first and only buggy and im heart broken..
also my flywheel has a bit of a gouge in it ... will that cause troubles .. or is that just cosmetic and not need to be replaced?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i bet the receiver overheated. futaba 3pm 2.4ghz receivers are known for this had it happen to me twice last race season. i put heat reflective tape on radio box between my motor so it reflects alot of the heat never had a problem since.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

Wow. Maybe your battery went dead.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbright33
i bet the receiver overheated. futaba 3pm 2.4ghz receivers are known for this had it happen to me twice last race season. i put heat reflective tape on radio box between my motor so it reflects alot of the heat never had a problem since.
no always true but sounds more like you forgot to charge the reciever pack or the switch took a dump.... jeremy
Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

also dont put any stuffing of anykind in the radio tray it will overheat faster futaba actually tells you not to use any. and just for sake it ever happens again go to walmart and buy some hair bands for 97 cents and put like 3 around your carb so if it looses signal it will go to idle.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

or ur battery went dead and u didnt set ur fail safe, or u throttle servo went bad, bad switch, could be anyting, over heating during break in i find that hard to believe
Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jer7469
no always true but sounds more like you forgot to charge the reciever pack or the switch took a dump.... jeremy
could be the switch or he forgot to charge the pack. but 3pms have a fail safe on them. and if its a new car i wouldnt think it was the switch but never know. im just looking at all the people i know that had problems with those receivers me includded.did any of the electronics work after the crash?? if it didnt work when you picked it up and it works now its most likely a receiver overheating. if nothing works then it was somethin else.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skidoos
or ur battery went dead and u didnt set ur fail safe, or u throttle servo went bad, bad switch, could be anyting, over heating during break in i find that hard to believe
im not putting futaba down cause i run futaba but i had one overheat from setting and warming up before race then i went out to warm up and it overheated..
Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jbright33
also dont put any stuffing of anykind in the radio tray it will overheat faster futaba actually tells you not to use any. and just for sake it ever happens again go to walmart and buy some hair bands for 97 cents and put like 3 around your carb so if it looses signal it will go to idle.
I put this on my Truggy and Buggy
Nitro Rc Car 1/8 THROTTLE RETURN SPRING - 44MM
Attached Thumbnails Buggy distroyed .. run away-msp1808rpic1_0.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenize1
I put this on my Truggy and Buggy
Nitro Rc Car 1/8 THROTTLE RETURN SPRING - 44MM
Throttle return springs/rubber bands are only to bring your throttle back to idle if the ball cup disconnects: even with no power, the servo produces so much friction that any spring/band with sufficient tension to bring the carb back to idle with the servo still attached will damage your servo.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captain america
Throttle return springs/rubber bands are only to bring your throttle back to idle if the ball cup disconnects: even with no power, the servo produces so much friction that any spring/band with sufficient tension to bring the carb back to idle with the servo still attached will damage your servo.
I would like to break a servo then my cars man
Old 06-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Its was already broken in ... I was only running for a few minutes today ... so doubt overheating .. After i got home with it .. i turn on the radio just for shits to see what was up ... everything moved fine after .. Ive run about 20 min on this charge .. 5 cell hump pack
Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
Its was already broken in ... I was only running for a few minutes today ... so doubt overheating .. After i got home with it .. i turn on the radio just for shits to see what was up ... everything moved fine after .. Ive run about 20 min on this charge .. 5 cell hump pack
Maybe the bind was not done correct for the fail safe.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

HUH my digital servos take hardly any force to move when there is no power to them. with no rubber band and the linkage off the boot on my carb moves my servo and hold the carb open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.