R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default Riped off on a engine? What do you think?

Well I bought this motor, P5, on here and in the ad it said the motor had just been over hauled. New bearings, some work done to the motor, and the motor had plenty of compression and many gallons left. I thought good deal. When I get the motor it's got dirt and oil build up under the front bearing. I look in the exhaust port and the piston is scratched. Take apart the motor and the sleeve is too. Put it back together to see if it even runs and it did start up. But once it was warmed up, it didn't want to stay running. And it was 280 or above.
So my question is do you think the seller was deceptive in selling me the motor? When I asked him about the scratches he knew right away what I was talking about and said that they didn't effect the motor. If they didn't why didn't he state the scratches in his ad? And he wants no part in refunding my money. And yes I know the saying, don't buy used motors. LOL So what do you guys think?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Man that sucks, that's the bag thing about buying used. Sometimes you get a good deal and other times you get screwed.
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Scratches are normal...depends on where they are...and how deep they are though. Remember these little things basically force one piece of metal through another piece of metal....wear is imminent. As far as it running 280....did you just open the box and start it? If so....your problem could be right there.

I did the same thing with an OS engine I bought awhile back and got all pissy with the guy since it ran close to 300 degrees....and then I reset it to factory and re-tuned it and voila....it ran like a top. He was in the same state as me, but the elevation made his tune run WAY different at my house.

So if it has plenty of pinch left and the bearings are solid.....and it runs and tunes....you should be fine. I have an RB engine with a chip missing out of the piston crown and it's one of the fastest engines I have ;-)

Pics would be helpful though.....I don't think he took you for a ride just reading what you posted above. That is typical used engine stuff.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
That is typical used engine stuff.
exactly - what looks genuinely like a "used mint" engine to one person is a useless POS to others. That traxxas-loving guy who boasts about clockin 70mph in his street will sure have a different perspective on engine maintenance/condition that the hardcore racer who's only ran at tracks for more than 10yrs now and can't even crack a smile when he goofs around with a tamiya lunchbox...

and that's exactly why I don't buy used mills

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.

Last edited by Lonestar; 06-23-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
exactly - what looks like a "used mint" engine to one person is a useless POS to others. That traxxas-loving guy who boasts about clockin 70mph in his street will sure have a different perspective on engine maintenance/condition that the hardcore racer who's only ran at tracks for more than 10yrs now and can't even crack a smile when he goofs around with a tamiya lunchbox...

and that's exactly why I don't buy used mills
Agreed I dont either, unless I personally know teh person and the engine.
Even then teh $ you save is questionable.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can usually fix a scratched piston with my lapping tools, as well as repinch the sleeve ...providing the crankpin is in good shape I could bring the engine back to life for you....
Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Tech Master

Now the guy leaves negative feed back for me because I question the motor? And I payed right away. Here is the feedback he left. I do apologize to bring others into this.
"Myself as well as (edit, by me) engine service are both aware and have photos of the internals prior to shipping this motor out. If any damage occurred it was at the hands of the buyer as it was in good operating condition when it left. Buyer also stated that the motor arrived in a very dirty condition and you can clearly see from the photos in the for sale thread that it was clean at time of shipping. Buyer attempted to get me to pay for half of the price of new bearings via pm even though they were recently replaced, when I denied his request all of a sudden the motor was no good and asked for a full refund. Seems rather shady to me!!!"
In one of the first emails he sent me, which I still have, he clearly states he knew about the scratches. He states that it was in good working condition when it left the repair shop by he even stated he ran the motor after he got it back from the shop. But if you have photos please post them. I'm sorry that I don't have a track that I can go to to test right away. I had to wait till Sat. to try it and ran it for the qualifier and pulled it out. When I stated I started it when I got it, that was only in my driveway to see if it even ran. Can't put a race tune on it in my drive way. As for waiting, I started sending you emails pretty much right away. I was being nice about it to see if you would be a man about it and give a refund without me having to ask.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Never buy use engines especially off the internet.

What they think is a good engine (it still ran means=good) but when you open it up it's junk.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

i got ripped of of a RB .21 the front bearing is gone and i has no power what so ever and i goes through plugs ever time i drive it
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Tech Master

And that is what makes me mad. Selling a crap motor that is better suited for parts or something, and saying it "runs great". Racers ripping off other racers really makes me mad.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

i feel what you mean dayglo33. that y i am only going to buy new motor from now no. i get tired to people saying its a great motor on ebay and turn out to be some junk
Old 06-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I have sold engines that were "running great" when I sold them as well...and the buyer tried to tell me they were junk. Turned out he had no idea how to tune properly....

Unless it came out of the box busted up and in pieces....I would never accept a return on a Nitro engine to be perfectly honest with you. They are FAR too easy to ruin. I stand behind everything I sell.....but I clearly let the buyer no I won't take it back if it's an engine and I will glady shoot video of it running and driving BEFORE I ship it to them.

You roll the dice on a used engine EVERY single time.

You still haven't really told us why you think it's junk though. It had dirt on the outside of it and internal scratches....but still runs....just hot. Seal it up and tune it. If the deal was good enough...send the P/S out for a pinch and go run it for a few more gallons.

Again...without pics of the engine...I still don't read anything that says this guy sent you a junk engine. He sent you a used engine....

I'm not taking sides here since I don't gain anything either way, but after buying my fair share of used engines.....I know what I'm getting into when I choose to buy used.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
I have sold engines that were "running great" when I sold them as well...and the buyer tried to tell me they were junk. Turned out he had no idea how to tune properly....

Unless it came out of the box busted up and in pieces....I would never accept a return on a Nitro engine to be perfectly honest with you. They are FAR too easy to ruin. I stand behind everything I sell.....but I clearly let the buyer no I won't take it back if it's an engine and I will glady shoot video of it running and driving BEFORE I ship it to them.

You roll the dice on a used engine EVERY single time.

You still haven't really told us why you think it's junk though. It had dirt on the outside of it and internal scratches....but still runs....just hot. Seal it up and tune it. If the deal was good enough...send the P/S out for a pinch and go run it for a few more gallons.

Again...without pics of the engine...I still don't read anything that says this guy sent you a junk engine. He sent you a used engine....

I'm not taking sides here since I don't gain anything either way, but after buying my fair share of used engines.....I know what I'm getting into when I choose to buy used.
you and the few people you care when the sell motors but other people dont .and motor is not really but i am just agreeing that some people get crap of ebay . i got a .28 lrp with my truggy last year the said the motor was good it lased 2 day at the track and i did not suck dirt at all and it was tuned good
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
Tech Master

Can you pinch a sleeve that the piston already comes out the top about a quarter inch? If it's a good motor it shouldn't need to be sealed. It runs that hot, lean, to be able to make power because it is worn out.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

well now i am geeting a brand new novarossi .21 n21r-bf 3 port. and my motor was from ebay and it was ceo mod so it has fule mileage just not a lot of pown it barler makes a triple at my track