Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglo33 View Post
Can you pinch a sleeve that the piston already comes out the top about a quarter inch? If it's a good motor it shouldn't need to be sealed. It runs that hot, lean, to be able to make power because it is worn out.
I seal all my brand new engines when I take them out of the box. Does that mean they are bad? No...it's a precaution to PREVENT any leaks from forming or maybe a manufacturing mistake.

I pinched an LRP28 engine where the piston came pretty far out of the sleeve. Ran for another 3 or 4 gallons before the new owner had a runaway and blew it to kingdom come.

An air leak will make you run the engine richer than it needs to be (needle settings I mean) in order to keep temps down since it really thinks it's leaner (more air from the leak) than it is. Air Leaks are the enemy....and they take 1 hour of your time to prevent and an $8 tube of RTV.

These engines are EXTREMELY simple when you break down the pieces. If the crank pin is not worn, and the pinch is good, and the bearings are good, and the connecting rod is good....the engine will pretty much run. Yes there are a ton of other factors, but those are the basics. Too much slop somewhere throws everything out of whack...air leaks throw everything out of whack....fuel line leaks throw everything out of whack. You get the idea...

If the engine he sent you allows the piston to come out of the upper side of the sleeve 1/4"....the P/S are worn past their usable lifespan without a pinch. Now...knowing that fact I would highly doubt that engine would run once it got up to temp at all. You might have compression when it's cold...so it would start, but as soon as the sleeve expands the fuel will no longer compress...it will just blow by the piston and the engine will flame out. So there is no way you could run a race (or even bash) with it if the piston was in that shape when you opened the box. At least not from MY experience. I bought a lot of junk motors to get this experience by the way ;-)

Anyway....just my .02 cents here. Take it for what it's worth. If the engine was cheap enough and needs a pinch...send it out and $20 later....you will have a P/S in great condition again.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Do not buy used engines unless you know the person well.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmustgt View Post
Never buy use engines especially off the internet.
+10000000

^That is the only thing that should be remembered from this thread.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
Tech Elite

I don't sell used engines. I don't buy used engines.

I mean 99% of brand new engines out there are complete junk right out of the box. Only going to be worse used.

Sorry for your loss. But lesson learned. Stick to NR, OS, RB and your good.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm gonna side with the seller on this one. Motor looks in great shape to me in his pics. If Monty puts his backing on it, I trust it. Sounds like a normal used engine to me. Maybe it needs a new front bearing, and some tuning. BTW front bearings cost $15, so it's not really a big deal to replace one. I consider them a consumable item myself.

Houston Tuned Novarossi P5X
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

well i have bougth three used motors in my time from guys i didnt know but all were from ebay and sellers had to have 150 or more positive feedbacks. reason is the last motor i bought was also a old p5x description was motor in good shape with a ton of pinch left. i got it and it was able to turn over by hand without a flywheel which on the old novas means its done so told the guy he would send me either full refund or half the purchase cost or would get bad feedback so he sent me the money also if use paypal they will protect you from these things also all the same would like to buy new only or used from friends but sometimes when you are broke you try to get out cheap worked out for me put piston in another sleeve and worked great
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Used engines are a gamble. I have sold a few and purchased only one. It has turned out ok for me so far but used engines are risky business unless you purchase from someone you know. I recently sold an engine to a buddy of mine that was just sitting in my pit box for 4 months and I was neglecting it. He needed a mill so I sold it to him. He couldn't be happier. I sold another engine to a different buddy and he blew it up by leaning it out too much. He still blamed me said I sealed it up too good. I couldnt help but laugh. Since then I have seen the same guy blow up 3 engines in the past year, so I dont think its from the sealant. The bottom line is used engines and electronics are a gamble. I am not quite sure the description was accurate, but what choice do you really have besides go get another mill or put a new p/s/r in that one.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
I'm gonna side with the seller on this one. Motor looks in great shape to me in his pics.

Houston Tuned Novarossi P5X
You want to buy a motor? LOL
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It's a gamble...for sure.

Copped an RB from dsltsunami/DSKTsUNAMi...One bent head screw holding it together. Front bearing falling out, ribs missing in the sleeve, rod flopping like a fish....the list goes on and on. Will not acknowledge or make any attempt to make good on the deal. Handle change in an attempt to hide from me...real nice, Ken....

On a far brighter note...copped three mills for the price of one from helivaguy.
421B completely gone through and just as described...meanest thing on the planet. Nicknamed the "Angry Onion" at the track...
An RB and PX5 in great shape...needing a pinch in the near future...once again...exactly as described. Bag of two extra carbs and motor mounts included at no extra cost.

$120 for the world class rip off....

$120 for the world class deal....

It's a crap shoot...win some...lose some.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Well I bought this motor, P5, on here and in the ad it said the motor had just been over hauled. New bearings, some work done to the motor, and the motor had plenty of compression and many gallons left. I thought good deal. When I get the motor it's got dirt and oil build up under the front bearing. I look in the exhaust port and the piston is scratched. Take apart the motor and the sleeve is too. Put it back together to see if it even runs and it did start up. But once it was warmed up, it didn't want to stay running. And it was 280 or above.
So my question is do you think the seller was deceptive in selling me the motor? When I asked him about the scratches he knew right away what I was talking about and said that they didn't effect the motor. If they didn't why didn't he state the scratches in his ad? And he wants no part in refunding my money. And yes I know the saying, don't buy used motors. LOL So what do you guys think?
280 or above? try cooler temps, might not be running cause its lean.
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Tech Master

But I don't have a crawler to put it in!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_blaze14 View Post
280 or above? try cooler temps, might not be running cause its lean.
i am going thur the same problem but the guy want $925 for it the body has no dents. and the interior is nice also but i dont think it worth that much......o k this is something for you to think of ...this is a 1995 acura couple and your is a few years back.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

Quote:
Originally Posted by canberraphotos View Post
i am going thur the same problem but the guy want $925 for it the body has no dents. and the interior is nice also but i dont think it worth that much......o k this is something for you to think of ...this is a 1995 acura couple and your is a few years back.
This is an R/C forum.... REMOTE CONTROL

"Nitro off road forum" didnt make you think twice about posting here....?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
Tech Master

Say what?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to pinky2252s Send a message via MSN to pinky2252s

Quote:
Say what?
read his post.... he was talking about an 95 acura integra..
Closed Thread