R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default engine bearings

Is the rear bearing on a engine soppose to have any movement in and out? I think the bearings are shot but I was told they were replaced "only 1/2 gallon ago". LOL The front bearing leaks worse than the oil spill in the gulf so I think they both need to be replaced. What do you all think.
dayglo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The rear bearing should have some play forward to back. Push in the inner race lightly and turn it...if it feels rough replace it. On the front try removing the seal carefully from the OD and fill with grease to block leakage. If that does not help the seal may be worn out..or the engine is running rich increasing the leakage.
Peter Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Hello

I'm a newly impressed TKO ceramic bearing user. The rear bearing moves in and out a bit, but the front one should not.

I put a set of TKO ceramic bearings in my p5 and it absolutely screams. I can't believe the ceramic bearings made my engine faster. I'm a super impressed customer and I will be installing ceramics in all my engines. I will break them in with the stock bearings, then change them out after a gallon.

I left the two seals on the front bearing just because the track I mainly race on has some sand in it, and It never hurts to use protection, haha.

Seriously though if you doubt the bearings, put some TKO ceramics in it. You won't be dissapointed. My p5 revs faster and pulls harder throughout the midrange. Les rotating mass. They don't leak at all either. Don't be alarmed if they are tight at first, just run the engine slowly on the box for about a tank or 10 minutes to seat them in and free them up. They will be tight for the forst qualifier or two, then hold on tight I'm not joking....

Thank you TKO for an affordable sollution to increased performance.....