R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

The internet isn't exactly the panacea that everyone hopes it is. The net is a great development for timely information about race results and new products (most magazines use their websites for this purpose as well), but it's not exactly serving the hobby well with respect to quality information that will help people to learn how to overcome certain issues and to advance in their racing efforts. For every person that does provide good information to other users on the net, there's 200 that give very poor, misguided information that can be more damaging than helpful. I don't think anyone is deliberately providing bad information, but there are a lot of "experts" that have been into RC for a "whole 11 months" that perhaps offer advice that is well beyond their level of experience. A person seeking advice doesn't have a level of knowledge that will allow them to know which information is good and which isn't, which is the paradox of seeking advice on the internet.

Most magazine authors are experienced enough that you'll get the good information you need without having to weed through an ocean of well-intended, but inexperienced users. Product evaluations are subjective of course, so even in the best of circumstances, you may not completely agree with the conclusion of an author. The balance of the ability or willingness to offer sharp criticism about certain products, and the pressure from advertisers to manipulate the editorial balance and the resulting conclusions is a matter of editorial integrity. Some magazines certainly handle that better than others, but there's no question that you'll get better quality information overall from a staff of experienced authors than you will from a bunch of internet engineers.

The notion that there are payoffs to authors to say nice things about a company's product is a matter of urban legend. I spent from 1985 to 2005 as part of the RC media, and I'm still driving a 10 year old car. If there were any payoffs, I certainly wasn't "in the loop." ;o)

However you get your information, don't take RC so seriously that you get crazy enough to narrow it down to one particular source. It's a great hobby and if you just keep your ear to the tracks (all tracks) you'll get some good information from a variety of sources. Anyone that fully condemns one or the other is only going to slow their growth and progress in the hobby. Just remember to keep a good sense of humor, even if it's dry. If you're not having fun, it's a job and not a hobby.

Last edited by SteveP; 06-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
Tech Adept
 
Arco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
The internet isn't exactly the panacea that everyone hopes it is. The net is a great development for timely information about race results and new products (most magazines use their websites for this purpose as well), but it's not exactly serving the hobby well with respect to quality information that will help people to learn how to overcome certain issues and to advance in their racing efforts. For every person that does provide good information to other users on the net, there's 200 that give very poor, misguided information that can be more damaging than helpful. I don't think anyone is deliberately providing bad information, but there are a lot of "experts" that have been into RC for a "whole 11 months" that perhaps offer advice that is well beyond their level of experience. A person seeking advice doesn't have a level of knowledge that will allow them to know which information is good and which isn't, which is the paradox of seeking advice on the internet.

Most magazine authors are experienced enough that you'll get the good information you need without having to weed through an ocean of well-intended, but inexperienced users. Product evaluations are subjective of course, so even in the best of circumstances, you may not completely agree with the conclusion of an author. The balance of the ability or willingness to offer sharp criticism about certain products, and the pressure from advertisers to manipulate the editorial balance and the resulting conclusions is a matter of editorial integrity. Some magazines certainly handle that better than others, but there's no question that you'll get better quality information overall from a staff of experienced authors than you will from a bunch of internet engineers.

The notion that there are payoffs to authors to say nice things about a company's product is a matter of urban legend. I spent from 1985 to 2005 as part of the RC media, and I'm still driving a 10 year old car. If there were any payoffs, I certainly wasn't "in the loop." ;o)

However you get your information, don't take RC so seriously that you get crazy about how you get your information. It's a great hobby and if you just keep your ear to the tracks (all tracks) you'll get some good information from a variety of sources. Anyone that fully condemns one or the other is only going to slow their growth and progress in the hobby. Just remember to keep a good sense of humor, even if it's dry. If you're not having fun, it's a job and not a hobby.
+1
__________________
OverdriveRC.com
"Promote and Support"
Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
Tech Adept
 
Arco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Sorry I don't do my business on a forum. I can just assure you it's happened...and happened more than once.
I believe it has happened and I apologize if I came across harsh, we all got a job to do.
Being that we get to witness a lot of different stuff here, my frustration stems from people coming into the shop (magazine in hand) proceeding to tell us how "great" something is based solely on a "carefully" written review.
I'm just hardheaded and find it difficult to give the people what they want if I know it's wrong.
For us it's more of a labor of love than a business and I truly care for everything R/C including you guys. Thanks!
__________________
OverdriveRC.com
"Promote and Support"
Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Totally disagree. Racers are the ones that have subscriptions. Most of the info is about racing, and even the ads are more race related. Most bashers dont spend a quarter of what racers spend.
This may be the case in your local area, but the actual numbers are closer to Racers: 5-percent, Non-Racers: 95-percent. In a stronger economy, the balance is less in favor of the racers. There's a huge part of the market that never visits an RC forum or participates in any organized racing. They just have fun with their high-tech RC machines and leave the less desirable aspects of the hobby to us. Of course I enjoy the hobby at a much deeper level than most, but the VAST majority do not.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #35
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco View Post
I believe it has happened and I apologize if I came across harsh, we all got a job to do.
Being that we get to witness a lot of different stuff here, my frustration stems from people coming into the shop (magazine in hand) proceeding to tell us how "great" something is based solely on a "carefully" written review.
I'm just hardheaded and find it difficult to give the people what they want if I know it's wrong.
For us it's more of a labor of love than a business and I truly care for everything R/C including you guys. Thanks!

What you missed is that you have somebody WALKING INTO YOUR SHOP. I too worked at a hobbyshop and when they came in and asked MY advice I gave it to them. So when they ask YOUR advice you can give them what YOU think is best.

For the most part 99% of the people walking in with a magazine will be in love with a Stampede. Is it the best thing in the world...no. But for me it's one of the best for a beginner.

And remember, just because YOU think it's wrong doesn't actually make it wrong. Nothing annoys me more than walking into a hobby shop these days and having somebody think they know everything. Be humble because sometimes the people who walk in do actually know something.

In the end we're all just talking about personal opinions. But in the case of a magazine when they test all the cars at once that opinion is based more of fact and a group than one guy online who hasn't touched half of the stuff.

I always laugh when people seem to claim the magazines know nothing but if they mention that that person knows nothing it turns into the magazine is terrible.

I often state I don't say you are wrong, I just say our opinion might have more weight. Most of us in this industry got into it because we love it. I have been "doing" RC since I was about 10. That's 25 years of something and I think I've learned at least 1 thing in that time.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #36
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well put Derek......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
What you missed is that you have somebody WALKING INTO YOUR SHOP. I too worked at a hobbyshop and when they came in and asked MY advice I gave it to them. So when they ask YOUR advice you can give them what YOU think is best.

For the most part 99% of the people walking in with a magazine will be in love with a Stampede. Is it the best thing in the world...no. But for me it's one of the best for a beginner.

And remember, just because YOU think it's wrong doesn't actually make it wrong. Nothing annoys me more than walking into a hobby shop these days and having somebody think they know everything. Be humble because sometimes the people who walk in do actually know something.

In the end we're all just talking about personal opinions. But in the case of a magazine when they test all the cars at once that opinion is based more of fact and a group than one guy online who hasn't touched half of the stuff.

I always laugh when people seem to claim the magazines know nothing but if they mention that that person knows nothing it turns into the magazine is terrible.

I often state I don't say you are wrong, I just say our opinion might have more weight. Most of us in this industry got into it because we love it. I have been "doing" RC since I was about 10. That's 25 years of something and I think I've learned at least 1 thing in that time.
The more serious in racing we get, the easier it is to tell a kid to get a full on race setup and the buggy will last so much longer, and on and on.

The truth is that a fun car is a fun car. I had plenty of cars over the years that were full on racing buggies, but for a new guy, or girl, wanting to drive a buggy or truck around in the yard or empty lot next door, a 200 dollar RTR or inexpensive electric 1/10th scale buggy or Traxxas truck would be plenty of fun. It's not like they are going to have a Nationals back yard basher contest, although that would be really fun. First place went to Kristan for the high speed pass under the Ford f250 going down the street. Wow what a run...

It's astonishing how many cars there are these days. When I started in rc cars I was 13 years old, and the selection was the Rough Rider, The Frog, Grasshopper, the Hot Shot, Mugen Bulldog. I think the Bulldog had the first ball diff if I remember right....

The only real issue I see is that the prebuilt cars make it way too easy, and not as involved as it was when you had to build your own car.

I built my first car, the frog, painted it, and never asked for help. It's kinda weird to see kids from 11-18 having their dads build and maintain their cars even at bigger races. The one plus side is the closeness generated by the hobby for parents and kids. If I had kids I would help them too, but they need to learn to clean, maintain and adjust these cars, that's half the fun...

I would like to see more cars come in kit form with radios, batteries, motors, and esc's or engines etc... included in one box, but with the building experience left for learning about the car.....
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #37
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbia,SC
Posts: 1
Default

I do miss when RCCA used to have in depth race coverage with the drivers car specs nd wat not (chassis,motor,tires,etc..). Its hard to find that even on the internet.
thatracerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great Magazine Poll futureal Chat Lounge 314 09-30-2009 10:28 AM
"REEDY RACE 2009" Scott B Electric On-Road 1461 06-05-2009 07:00 PM
Best RC Car Magazine PhatPat Chat Lounge 206 01-15-2004 10:56 AM
Reedy TC Race of Champions Neil Rabara Electric On-Road 721 07-06-2003 10:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:33 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net