R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Quad Racer 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default

I'm tired of seeing SCT stuff in these mags now.. seems like for 3 or 4 issues now it has a ton of sct stuff in it and not near as much 1/8 nitro anymore.
__________________
Dylan Gerard

Serpent - Desoto Racing - Picco - AKA - Hitec - RC Addictions Products - Tekin - VRP - Avid RC - SMC - MIP - SkipGear - The Ohio RC Factory
Quad Racer 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
Tech Champion
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
I'm tired of seeing SCT stuff in these mags now.. seems like for 3 or 4 issues now it has a ton of sct stuff in it and not near as much 1/8 nitro anymore.
Amen to that !!!
__________________
Island Raceway & Hobby
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #18
Tech Addict
 
carcrusher46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: the 'burgh
Posts: 648
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I personally favor XRC and RC Car because both publications aren't afraid to point out low points in a review. I've come to terms with RCCA being just one big ad, but RC Driver just never has done anything for me - the layouts are bland, the writing puts me to sleep, and any time I buy an issue (it's the only one I don't subscribe to) I never read it more than once, and I only buy them when it features a vehicle I'm looking to buy, to compare it against what everyone else says.

If Chianelli were still around, we wouldn't have magazine issues
__________________
Matt Stoltz
Thank you to my sponsors:
Team Associated - Reedy - JConcepts - Life Fast RC Paintworks
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34 View Post
I'm tired of seeing SCT stuff in these mags now.. seems like for 3 or 4 issues now it has a ton of sct stuff in it and not near as much 1/8 nitro anymore.
That's because SC trucks are the new "hip" thang that the manufacturers are trying to push, so they advertise it like crazy, and instruct their unofficial mouthpieces (Magazines) to follow suit.

It's like every few years, RC manufacturers try desperately to come up with a "new" category to woo people into the hobby. A few years ago it was those little dinky 1/18. Remember those? Where are they now?
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #20
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
I personally favor XRC and RC Car because both publications aren't afraid to point out low points in a review. I've come to terms with RCCA being just one big ad, but RC Driver just never has done anything for me - the layouts are bland, the writing puts me to sleep, and any time I buy an issue (it's the only one I don't subscribe to) I never read it more than once, and I only buy them when it features a vehicle I'm looking to buy, to compare it against what everyone else says.

If Chianelli were still around, we wouldn't have magazine issues
Chris Chianelli!!! Now, that's a name I haven't heard for almost 18 years!!! Great funky guy with a big hair!! Loved his column in RCCA...

RIP Chris...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Powered by: MASTERCARD and VISA

If you're in control, you're not driving it fast enough!

XRAY / NOVAROSSI / SANWA / AKA TIRES / BYRON FUEL
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Here's what most people/internet/magazine don't understand or have changed.

Play by play stuff is for the internet. Magazine coverage of the event should show some sort of interesting story other than the race BS. I think we've done that very well over the years, and depending on the race we've had coverage in print and in your hand in as little as a week after.

But what happened recently for lots of magazines is that the economy blows and page counts are way down and we have to figure out what works for the space given.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #22
Tech Adept
 
Reno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Dodge, IA
Posts: 187
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I am an avid offroad RC racer and own a publishing company with several magazines. None related to the RC industry. So, if you racers could have a magazine, what would it include? Does it need to be in print or would an emailed digital version work? Give me some feedback. You never know what might happen!!!
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
I am an avid offroad RC racer and own a publishing company with several magazines. None related to the RC industry. So, if you racers could have a magazine, what would it include? Does it need to be in print or would an emailed digital version work? Give me some feedback. You never know what might happen!!!
I'm in the same boat and into RC...You learn very quickly that putting out a magazine for less than 10% of the market, and ones that really DO NOT support/buy racer magazines is a bad way to think. The racing companies don't really just want less than 10% of the market. They want the 90% that doesn't race to buy what the 10% does.

This is not a new idea, and magazines have come and gone thinking racing alone supports anything.

I'll even offer this extra advice for free. Most people who race only really want to see their name in the magazine. So even then you'd cover a "Race" and only have maybe 50 people caring about that race at all. So factor in that covering races in any sort of print worth matter costs lots of money and then factor in what it costs to print, mail, and the rest and you'll be broke in days.

But what does me know. Only doing this for 12 years
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
Tech Elite
 
MadRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,378
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Here's what most people/internet/magazine don't understand or have changed.

Play by play stuff is for the internet. Magazine coverage of the event should show some sort of interesting story other than the race BS. I think we've done that very well over the years, and depending on the race we've had coverage in print and in your hand in as little as a week after.

But what happened recently for lots of magazines is that the economy blows and page counts are way down and we have to figure out what works for the space given.
I know you guys have a tough job, especially in this economy.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,583
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

Hey Derek, I bet you would like to have some of this "Hush Money" that everyone is talking about receiving from giving good reviews for bad products.

I'm yet to receive a penny, much less a dime !
__________________
Dealer for Serpent, Intech, Agama, Pro Speed, JQ Products, Tekno
Alpha,Triton, Picco, Reds, Go, Arrow,Bullitt,Beta
Sponsor- Nemo Racing.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Still waiting for the checks. And still wondering when or if people notice ads being pulled when manufacturers get mad at us for our reviews. ;p
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,022
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Playin devil's advocate... ;)

Sooo, OP (sorry, we're now on Page 2 of this thread, I do not recall your name) I am curious. Since you mentioned the MotoRama thread specifically. What exactly did not please you? Was it simply the low page count? Or was it not written well, in your mind? Were there not enough pictures? Thanks for taking the time ( if you indeed do :P ) to clarify.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #28
Tech Adept
 
Arco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
And still wondering when or if people notice ads being pulled when manufacturers get mad at us for our reviews. ;p
Granted, it's tough times for everybody and I have not read at a mag. in three years, but please restore my faith and share the "little nasty".
Please remember that a small cog, such as myself does not count.....As I only indirectly bring you money.
__________________
OverdriveRC.com
"Promote and Support"
Arco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
Tech Master
 
jspurgin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: alabama
Posts: 1,568
Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Default

I'm constantly on the interweb, but i guess i'm a little old-school also. I love to read a new copy of a good mag. XRC is hands down the best rc mag available. I read it everyday at work because they have the best articles and the best coverage. What really got me thinking about this topic was about 2 years ago at the 1st Psycho Nitro Blast race in Atlanta i remember thinking how excited i was to see the race coverage in the magazine and when it came out there was literally 1 page with a couple of pictures. I was incredibly bummed out b/c there were like 350+ entries and that race really deserved more coverage.. But anyhoo, keep up the good work Derek B. I still buy every issue... lol
__________________
Tha mothaflippin Rhymenocerous..
Cause' there aint' no party like a Nana's tea party....

Southern Onroad F1 Champion.. F109
jspurgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #30
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arco View Post
Granted, it's tough times for everybody and I have not read at a mag. in three years, but please restore my faith and share the "little nasty".
Please remember that a small cog, such as myself does not count.....As I only indirectly bring you money.
Sorry I don't do my business on a forum. I can just assure you it's happened...and happened more than once.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great Magazine Poll futureal Chat Lounge 314 09-30-2009 10:28 AM
"REEDY RACE 2009" Scott B Electric On-Road 1461 06-05-2009 07:00 PM
Best RC Car Magazine PhatPat Chat Lounge 206 01-15-2004 10:56 AM
Reedy TC Race of Champions Neil Rabara Electric On-Road 721 07-06-2003 10:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:54 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net