Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8t 2.0 rear diff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Losi 8t 2.0 rear diff.

What is the best way to shim the diff on these things. I tired of blowing rearends. I shim em tight and they blow, I shim them with a little bit of play they blow. Also how often should the cases be changed out? Thanks.......
Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

How old is your chassis? If it gets bent or wears out in the rear of the chassis, you'll start to blow diffs for sure.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by modified763
How old is your chassis? If it gets bent or wears out in the rear of the chassis, you'll start to blow diffs for sure.
Hmm...I ve just started having this problem..2 times in the last 2 mo. At the same hi bite clay track. I don't like it.....
Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

are you replacing the gear box case when you are replacing the gears?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
No I havnt been changing the case. I change the diff holders. I just found out though that because of the heat inside the diff it is also wise to change the case also.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

In the last week iv had to put in 2 ring gears and a 1 pinion so I'm starting to have this issue. I'm just going to get a new diff case holder. I also put the alu diff things that go on the diff cups in so I think that will solve all problems.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
In the last week iv had to put in 2 ring gears and a 1 pinion so I'm starting to have this issue. I'm just going to get a new diff case holder. I also put the alu diff things that go on the diff cups in so I think that will solve all problems.
when you change ring or pinion change them both. when new they wear together, you put a new and used together you will prob strip another one. always do that and change the gear box case. ive lucky never blown a r/p since owning the 8t 2.0 , i got it right when it came out
Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've never blown one. I have it shimmed with a very small amount of play. I bought several sets of diff cases and gears expecting it to happen, but it hasn't.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
I've never blown one. I have it shimmed with a very small amount of play. I bought several sets of diff cases and gears expecting it to happen, but it hasn't.
X2
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

I just had the rear diff gears blow this weekend, what are the aluminum spacers??could ou post a part#.I just bought my trug second hand, and want to fix this issue correctly. any help is appreciated
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

All you need is the alum rear bearing holders, The plastic ones wear down causing the gear mesh to move apart... Get the alum one and shim per instructions and you should have a problem.

LOSA4454

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA4454
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by token
All you need is the alum rear bearing holders, The plastic ones wear down causing the gear mesh to move apart... Get the alum one and shim per instructions and you should have a problem.

LOSA4454

thanks man
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also... if you replace the ring and pinion due to it being "blown..." replace the bulkhead. It probably got warped when the ring and pinion got damaged.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

+1 you have to change the case too.

Originally Posted by token

LOSA4454

+1 on the alum holders. I have had gears get noisy and when they get too noisy then I replace them but I reuse the alum insert.

The only other thing that will blow rear diffs in this truck quickly is when you land off a jump dont be on the gas hard. Let the truck land and then hit the gas. I have seen more guys blow new r/p because they were on the gas too much.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

when you change ring or pinion change them both. when new they wear together, you put a new and used together you will prob strip another one. always do that and change the gear box case. ive lucky never blown a r/p since owning the 8t 2.0 , i got it right when it came out
Originally Posted by Frank L
+1 you have to change the case too.

+1 on the alum holders. I have had gears get noisy and when they get too noisy then I replace them but I reuse the alum insert.

The only other thing that will blow rear diffs in this truck quickly is when you land off a jump dont be on the gas hard. Let the truck land and then hit the gas. I have seen more guys blow new r/p because they were on the gas too much.
Spot on!