R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #31
Tech Initiate

If you're out of air filter oil you can use some old school castor oil, works just as well
Hudy
swede8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
pj 1 foam filter spray . Comes in an aerosol can & last for ever . I only used 2 cans in 1 season racing my buggy & truggy plus my sons buggy . You can get it at most any motorcycle shop for about 8 bucks .
+1

and the PJ1 filter cleaner works really good too!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i used that on my motocross bikes once and it made my engine sluggish, to thick of stuff IMO.

Yeah. I have a can of the Belray stuff right now. I hate it. It's too thick and so sticky that if it gets on your hand, you'll be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
+1

and the PJ1 filter cleaner works really good too!
PJ1 filter cleaner improves my quality of life as a whole.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

I dont get the obsession with cleaning 10 dollars worth of filters with a 10 dollar bottle of cleaner... not to mention the time and effort. These are disposable filters, not hi dollar 1:1 filters. my 0.2
Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A ten pack of filters, oil and cleaner works out to about $30. That can last a season.

Try racing paycheck to paycheck. It is worth it to clean and re-use air filters, bearings, foams, rims, and to replace driveshaft pins.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #36
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It works for me to clean and re-use. I am a budget racer.
Speed Demon Fuel
RJSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #37
Tech Elite

we all race paycheck to paycheck to some degree. I too reuse foams and press pins, etc. My argument is the time it takes to clean and re-oil filters or bearings is not worth it to ME. My time is much more valuable then a $2 filter or 1$ bearing, plus the quality of them is tarnished.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
we all race paycheck to paycheck to some degree. I too reuse foams and press pins, etc. My argument is the time it takes to clean and re-oil filters or bearings is not worth it to ME. My time is much more valuable then a $2 filter or 1$ bearing, plus the quality of them is tarnished.
to each his own. its worth it to me
Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why are you replacing filters after nearly every tank? I think your more likely to get dirt into your engine if you keep opening up the air filter assembly at the track. Personally I try to avoid opening up my filter at the track. I replace my pre filter after each race day (at home) and the inner after every other. I use AE oil (Belray?) so there is no cleaning and reusing them either. Ive been doing it this way for years and never had an engine suck dirt.

Also that wrap stuff IMO doesnt breathe well. If you have some put it up to your mouth and try and breathe through it. I think you'll notice quite a bit of restriction and even still I was amazed how much dirt past through.

All in all I am with Pro Joe Allessi its just not worth the possible savings for all the hassle and potential damage. I'll keep buying $1 bearings and $5 filters and get what I can from them then replace with new ones. I also do my wrenching at home where its clean and quiet and spend my time at the track hanging out having fun.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Bel-Ray FTW

a quart is like what $6.00 and lasts for years. I use a small OFNA filter oil bottle and re-fill it with Bel-Ray at home so I don't have to carry a huge bottle around. I won't use K&N as it's made for Paper not Foam.

PJ-1 is awesome stuff also but pricey. There cleaner is the best money can buy.

I used to buy Joe's big pack of pre-oiled Proline filters and throw them away. I have an RC8 now and the proline filter housing doesn't clear the body. I have to use the stockers and they are damn exspensive. So I'm back to cleaning and re-using them.

Get on it Joe and make us some damn RC8 filters bro.

And whoever said Bel-Ray choked his bike???
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeppen View Post
Bel-Ray FTW

a quart is like what $6.00 and lasts for years. I use a small OFNA filter oil bottle and re-fill it with Bel-Ray at home so I don't have to carry a huge bottle around. I won't use K&N as it's made for Paper not Foam.

PJ-1 is awesome stuff also but pricey. There cleaner is the best money can buy.

I used to buy Joe's big pack of pre-oiled Proline filters and throw them away. I have an RC8 now and the proline filter housing doesn't clear the body. I have to use the stockers and they are damn exspensive. So I'm back to cleaning and re-using them.

Get on it Joe and make us some damn RC8 filters bro.

Randy,
Is there really no other option on the rc8? I'm just afraid to spend the money on tooling and not sell them... I run the Losi cage on my 6t and love it. i just had to mod the post to fit.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only RC8 option is Power Save Racing and I couldnt find anywhere that had them in stock when I needed filters recently.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And whoever said Bel-Ray choked his bike??? [/QUOTE]

He could literally tell if i switched fuel ratio from 40:1 to 32:1 or if i moved the handle bars 2 mm or if i even went from 112 octane to 110 , so yeah he could tell a difference in air filter oil . I' ve often told him he would be the best test rider ever .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
The only RC8 option is Power Save Racing and I couldnt find anywhere that had them in stock when I needed filters recently.
well thats not the option i was talking about. i meant a different cage? for filters i sell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by romax View Post
He could literally tell if i switched fuel ratio from 40:1 to 32:1 or if i moved the handle bars 2 mm or if i even went from 112 octane to 110 , so yeah he could tell a difference in air filter oil . I' ve often told him he would be the best test rider ever . [/QUOTE]
I'm no pro rider but i could tell a difference in my bikes when i changed any of the things you just mentioned above. I have no experience with the bayray oil but it must be VERY tacky and with too much applied it can make the bike bog like that. RC cars sure i would expect that cause our engines are micro and need the right oil and viscosity to achieve optimum flow, but stuff designed for bikes, ran on bikes,,,, I would say you didn't apply it correctly.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP Racing View Post
Why are you replacing filters after nearly every tank? I think your more likely to get dirt into your engine if you keep opening up the air filter assembly at the track. Personally I try to avoid opening up my filter at the track. I replace my pre filter after each race day (at home) and the inner after every other. I use AE oil (Belray?) so there is no cleaning and reusing them either. Ive been doing it this way for years and never had an engine suck dirt.

Also that wrap stuff IMO doesnt breathe well. If you have some put it up to your mouth and try and breathe through it. I think you'll notice quite a bit of restriction and even still I was amazed how much dirt past through.

All in all I am with Pro Joe Allessi its just not worth the possible savings for all the hassle and potential damage. I'll keep buying $1 bearings and $5 filters and get what I can from them then replace with new ones. I also do my wrenching at home where its clean and quiet and spend my time at the track hanging out having fun.
i should clarify. I change them after ever qual and main of course. If i am practicing i change them often on a red clay when it's real dusty. Regular dirt not so much.

And since i got laid off and busting my but on side projects, every little bit helps. I press my own pins and sometimes clean and reseal my bearings. I just don't have 10 extra dollars every week after gas in my truck to get to the track, nitro, race fee's, food etc. Any other money i am going to spend is what i have to absolutely have. Tires, bearings, clutch parts etc. I will be trying the foam spray, sounds like it is excactly what i was looking for.

I hate that we get bent over just because it's a nich hobby. Mobil1 greese at the hobby shop. What about a pack of like 20 little rubber bands from gmk for like 6$ when i can get about 200 for 99 cents.

as for cleaner, i just wash with soap and water and dry them.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote