R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 327
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Clutch bell tricks?

Anyone have any tricks to remove a clutch bell that wont come off? mine will move freely but wont come off, im almost sure that my inner bearin went out. Witch could explain all of the built up metal around the fly wheel. Thanks Guys!
Beenbreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

pry if off with a screw driver, or clamp it down on a vise and just give it a good yank. It shouldnt be that hard.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
8ight-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,087
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenbreto View Post
Anyone have any tricks to remove a clutch bell that wont come off? mine will move freely but wont come off, im almost sure that my inner bearin went out. Witch could explain all of the built up metal around the fly wheel. Thanks Guys!
Use a screwdriver to pry it off where you can see the space between the bell and flywheel. Same thing happen to me a few months ago.

How have you been lately in Germany?
__________________
Palm Desert R/C Raceway - www.palmdesertrcraceway.com

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 327
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

yeah i tried all of those things but no luck. Well i havnt put it in a vise yet becasue i dont have one of those in my room lol. But ill take it to work tomorrow.

Chris,

Germany is cool so far. just working and somewhat training. Hows the track doing? cant wait to get back. Should be back in mid AUG So ill be there to put some laps down with you and hopefully i can get my second roller up so we can go head to head on the truggys. lol My old man tells me that there is a good show up on wensday nights good stuff. Are you still doing the JBRL?
Beenbreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Spray

Spray some wd40 on it and let it sit, then try. Sometimes it gets a bit rusty. I usually put a dab of grease on the crank so it won't get stuck on there.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
8ight-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,087
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenbreto View Post
yeah i tried all of those things but no luck. Well i havnt put it in a vise yet becasue i dont have one of those in my room lol. But ill take it to work tomorrow.

Chris,

Germany is cool so far. just working and somewhat training. Hows the track doing? cant wait to get back. Should be back in mid AUG So ill be there to put some laps down with you and hopefully i can get my second roller up so we can go head to head on the truggys. lol My old man tells me that there is a good show up on wensday nights good stuff. Are you still doing the JBRL?
Good to hear. There is consistently about 10 people each day since we went to new hours, its Wed and Saturday 5-8p, and Friday 5-9pm. No, I haven't raced in a while but I will soon.
__________________
Palm Desert R/C Raceway - www.palmdesertrcraceway.com

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
Spray some wd40 on it and let it sit, then try. Sometimes it gets a bit rusty. I usually put a dab of grease on the crank so it won't get stuck on there.
wow. you must let yours sit a long time. I am taking mine off every time i run my car it seems.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Reno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Dodge, IA
Posts: 187
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

+1 on too long! i check mine after each race day. inspect shoes, springs, bearings, etc.

just have to get after it with a screwdriver and pry it off. if you can get a screwdrivwer under each side that may help.

good luck
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default clutch bell rubbing

So i have a custom integy 49t spur gear which is rubbing against my 15t high performance clutch bell on my HPI Savage. I tried moving the engine mount back a bit so that doesn't happen. I have moved it back as far as i can. It's not a stock engine, Axial 0.28. Anyone know any other solutions ? I tried adding an extra washer to the spur gear / cb to make sure it's tighter. This doesn't work as the cb will always move when it's at idle. Any other solutions ?
dmakrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmakrc View Post
So i have a custom integy 49t spur gear which is rubbing against my 15t high performance clutch bell on my HPI Savage. I tried moving the engine mount back a bit so that doesn't happen. I have moved it back as far as i can. It's not a stock engine, Axial 0.28. Anyone know any other solutions ? I tried adding an extra washer to the spur gear / cb to make sure it's tighter. This doesn't work as the cb will always move when it's at idle. Any other solutions ?
-1 for hijacking lol

on another note a buddy of mine had a clutch bell get stuck on him a couple of weeks ago, hit it with a head gun get it good and hot, i mean hot and it should come right off.
carlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlam View Post
-1 for hijacking lol

on another note a buddy of mine had a clutch bell get stuck on him a couple of weeks ago, hit it with a head gun get it good and hot, i mean hot and it should come right off.
whats a head gun? i think he means heat gun
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Dlewis4's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MO
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Tricks for Clutch bell

When in doubt-replace the bearings
When in doubt-replace the clutchbell


Their are you tricks

No seriously-that is how i was taught
__________________
Why is this hobby so full of drama? Its toy cars....
Dlewis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
wow. you must let yours sit a long time. I am taking mine off every time i run my car it seems.
I just live 10 minutes from the Texas coast, and everything rusts really fast here. I bring my buggy inside, but it's worse when we race at night. Like 500 percent humidity at sea level. Makes tuning tough sometimes. I work on other peoples cars too so i run into all types of stuff.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires

Last edited by merdith6; 06-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Loctite tends to work its way in between the inner race of the bearing and the crank itself and basically LOCKING the bearing in place.

2 Flat head screw driver's on either side of the bell will Easily remove a stuck bell or at least get it up off the flywheel enough to get a good grip on it.


Grease on the crank shaft is IMO not a wise idea.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Loctite tends to work its way in between the inner race of the bearing and the crank itself and basically LOCKING the bearing in place.

2 Flat head screw driver's on either side of the bell will Easily remove a stuck bell or at least get it up off the flywheel enough to get a good grip on it.


Grease on the crank shaft is IMO not a wise idea.
Your probably right on the grease.

I don't use locktight. I just grab the flywheel with some pliers, gently, and turn the 2.5mm head on the 3mm screw tighter than just holding the flywheel by hand, works every time. You can also use those cap head washers for a precise fit and longer bearing life.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Blue-6
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Hot Bodies Buggy!!??????? monsteraddict Nitro Off-Road 14489 03-18-2013 01:42 PM
racers edge clutch springs dreaux Nitro Off-Road 6 05-23-2009 09:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:32 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net