R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

well my son is 14 monthes old

i drive my 1/18 in the living room while he's watching and kicking with his legs (i think its happiness) and when i wrench on my car or engines, i make sure he's sitting in his food seat/table and watch what i do, it may sound crazy but when i wrench, i explain to him what am doing exactly with all the tips and tricks and he listens
when he starts to yell or cry, a nice 1/8 onroad foam tire will calm him down as he loves licking the foam just make sure it a new tire not to poisin the kid

cheers

Ali
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
well my son is 14 monthes old

i drive my 1/18 in the living room while he's watching and kicking with his legs (i think its happiness) and when i wrench on my car or engines, i make sure he's sitting in his food seat/table and watch what i do, it may sound crazy but when i wrench, i explain to him what am doing exactly with all the tips and tricks and he listens
when he starts to yell or cry, a nice 1/8 onroad foam tire will calm him down as he loves licking the foam just make sure it a new tire not to poisin the kid

cheers

Ali
you sound far too much like my dad haha. He likes to talk. When he does projects he likes to explain things and how they are done. Half the time in comes in one ear and out the other
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
you sound far too much like my dad haha. He likes to talk. When he does projects he likes to explain things and how they are done. Half the time in comes in one ear and out the other
LOL , come on man, i'm only 30 yo, i cannot be your dad, maybe a lot like him though, and you should listen to what he has to say, it will come in handy in few years
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son started drifting when he was 7. He had no interest in competition until he started to figure out he was better than alot of people. Now he is 10 and races everything from mini-z to 1/8 Truggy every and any chance he can. Still can't beat dad though, but he has been getting really close lately.
igyrigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

AHHH Yes. I am one of the lucky ones. After fighting with the wife she bought my first real rc car about year and half ago. Losi 8 RTR. I was passing by the hobby store that had a an 8th scale track and decided to stop in.

Once I heard the noise and the smell I went to bed every night like it was Christmas the next day. Finally she got if for me. I swore I would never race it and it was just to have fun. But then I saw the all of these people with all of this cool gear and I knew it was over for me. I got the dreaded I thought you were not going to race. She was like just like everything else its only going to last for a few weeks and on to the next hobby.

For months all I did was practice on Sundays. I could not get my son into any type of hobby. I tried everything. One day he wanted to go to the track with me to watch me practice. That lasted about 2 minutes before he took over my buggy. Just like me he saw how fast it went and was hooked on the sound and the smell. I never got into to this for myself but only for the father son bonding time.

I bought him a hyper 7 to see if he would stick with it. Because of how new we were the whole racing thing was kind of scary. LoL I told him that if he raced first I would by him a new Nintendo DSI. He was in and had a blast. He is 10.

There was something about that nervousness adrenaline rush sweaty palms cant breathe thing that we just could not get enough of.

We now race every chance we can get and raced the Nitro challenge this year for the first time. My daughter 8 years old is now racing her Blitz from time to time and she is loving it. My wife once hated it and now loves it cause she gets to see our Son and Daughter up on the driver stand.

A few weeks ago she randomly says I want to learn how to pit for you guys just in case you dont have any help

We are now a racing family and I am going to enjoy every minute of the family bonding thing.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
!My son is an awesome racer. He just won the ROAR region 11 truggy championship this weekend. He has two sponsors and is a straight A student. I am the luckiest dad in the world
Yes sir, yes you are!

Dishsoap.... awesome story.
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got both my son (13 years old) and I into racing this year. A couple years ago we where racing dirtbikes but after a broken leg and a few other injurys I felt we better get into something safer for both of us. I flew r/c helis for 10 years and was bored with them and the high cost to fly them so cars it is.

Watching him race his truggy is a blast and he even mows grass on week days to help buy parts and upgrades he wants. Now if I coule get my girls into r/c that would be great
sluggo_sx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got started in RC when I was 9. I got an MTX-3 for my birthday. By the way, never have your kid start out with nitro onroad - fortunately, I picked it up quickly and could handle the competition. I was easily able to beat the older kids in the 14 and under class. I had alot of fun with it and didn't want to stop.

Then in about mid-2006, I quit RC. Then, I got back into it about late 2007, again with my old MTX-3.

I'm 15 now and have competed in many local, big races. I'm hoping to run into extra money soon so I can buy an airline ticket to try and run the Cactus Classic in 2011 with my newest rig, a modified T4.
"Always support your local hobby shop. Internet retailers do nothing to help you race." - Tom B.
taco94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 233 (99%+)

My son started racing truggies with me last year at 8 years old. I started him out with r/c cars early with a mini-t, T4 and a T-Maxx...love spending the day at the track with him. My 5 year old daughter saw a picture of Rhonda Drake's pink buggy in a magazine and now she want a "pink buggy"...kid's are cute.
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My son (13 years old) and I ride motocross together...Living in a 4 season climate, winter was getting very boring..saw some guys at the mx track with short couse trucks..Thought my son might like one to "mess around with". Got him one (Slash) for Christmas. He drove it around the house for a couple of days then found out there was an indoor offroad track near the house...game over....We both got bitten with the racing bug..He now races a Slash in Spec Class, a Blitz in Modified, and most recently a Hot Bodies D8 Nitro Buggy. I race (if you can call it that) a Blitz also...Its a great father/son hobby....
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

My 10 year old son loves to race. He got his first RC18MT when he was 5 and then at 6 he got a Revo3.3 He started actual racing this winter at the local indoor track running a Slash. He ended up Track Champion in his class. Now for the summer outdoor series we got him a Jammin SCRT10 and he is doing very well. Now he's wanting a Truggy I love the time we spend together with this hobby except like today when we took my Baja5T out I don't get to drive it much
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote