High ambient temps, effect on motors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High ambient temps, effect on motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default High ambient temps, effect on motors?

Do you guys treat your engines any different when the ambient temps are near 100-F?

Our heat index has been well beyond 100-F recently and I think I killed my DBX in the heat. The motor suddenly burned up 2 glow plugs in about 15 minutes (previously I got about a gallon each). The coils looked collapsed. It also started making a ticking sound, just like when you pull the start rope with the engine already running. The engine starts and idles normally, seems to have normal power but even at full speed it will suddenly die as if someone hit a kill switch. It doesn't lock up, it's just like it suddenly ran out of fuel. But then it will restart normally (except for the noise) and continue on. I'm going to take it apart to see what broke but I'm wondering if the high ambient temps had anything to do with it? I tune for best performance (I have no idea what temp it runs), and I've always got lots of smoke at full throttle.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattFL
Do you guys treat your engines any different when the ambient temps are near 100-F?

Our heat index has been well beyond 100-F recently and I think I killed my DBX in the heat. The motor suddenly burned up 2 glow plugs in about 15 minutes (previously I got about a gallon each). The coils looked collapsed. It also started making a ticking sound, just like when you pull the start rope with the engine already running. The engine starts and idles normally, seems to have normal power but even at full speed it will suddenly die as if someone hit a kill switch. It doesn't lock up, it's just like it suddenly ran out of fuel. But then it will restart normally (except for the noise) and continue on. I'm going to take it apart to see what broke but I'm wondering if the high ambient temps had anything to do with it? I tune for best performance (I have no idea what temp it runs), and I've always got lots of smoke at full throttle.
I havent hadthe chance to try it yet but our local tuning expert say to go down to the next colder plug. For me that would be going from a p3 to a p4.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Excessive connecting rod slop can kill plugs.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Take the back plate off and see if rod looks ok. My engine was doing the same thing then it ate the rod in a bad way, brass material through entire engine. Glow plug coil was crushed with brass in it also.