HEADERS...?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default HEADERS...?

so i see there is no real topic for just headers...there are different sizes and shapes, and i dont think many people including my self are too sure on what they do for the motor. Meaning, weather it has more top, or bottom, or mid...etc!

can any one explain what the different headers will do? so mabe it will be easyier to get the right pipe/header combo in any situation
Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Generally

Originally Posted by reggie l.
so i see there is no real topic for just headers...there are different sizes and shapes, and i dont think many people including my self are too sure on what they do for the motor. Meaning, weather it has more top, or bottom, or mid...etc!

can any one explain what the different headers will do? so mabe it will be easyier to get the right pipe/header combo in any situation
The longer the header the more torque, and the shorter the header the more top end. I Usually run the short round headers because they fit in buggy better, but truggy doesn't mind the longer header cause there is more room on the chassis. Using the short round headers lets me change the pipe for different characteristics. For example. the mid range pipe in a buggy likes the short round header to keep the top end strong while allowing plenty of bottom to mid range. A top end pipe could benefit from a longer header to balanceout the power curve, and usually they are shorter pipes too, so there is room. It's about balancing the power. If the engine has lots of top end but needs more grunt, then the longer header just may help, but if the engine has lots of torque, a shorter header may help smooth out the acceleration and boost the effects of a high end or mid range pipe.
What engines do you use? That would help, but overall it's about improving the lesser areas of a pipe or engine combo,or between buggy and truggy. I hope this helps.....
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
The longer the header the more torque, and the shorter the header the more top end. I Usually run the short round headers because they fit in buggy better, but truggy doesn't mind the longer header cause there is more room on the chassis. Using the short round headers lets me change the pipe for different characteristics. For example. the mid range pipe in a buggy likes the short round header to keep the top end strong while allowing plenty of bottom to mid range. A top end pipe could benefit from a longer header to balanceout the power curve, and usually they are shorter pipes too, so there is room. It's about balancing the power. If the engine has lots of top end but needs more grunt, then the longer header just may help, but if the engine has lots of torque, a shorter header may help smooth out the acceleration and boost the effects of a high end or mid range pipe.
What engines do you use? That would help, but overall it's about improving the lesser areas of a pipe or engine combo,or between buggy and truggy. I hope this helps.....
thats a great write up...

me my self im not really having a problem with combo's etc. i just was baffled when i seen there wasnt a topic focusing on explaing headers.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by reggie l.
thats a great write up...

me my self im not really having a problem with combo's etc. i just was baffled when i seen there wasnt a topic focusing on explaing headers.
I try.