Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Where can I find a DC engine heating cover? >

Where can I find a DC engine heating cover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I find a DC engine heating cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Where can I find a DC engine heating cover?

Hey guys

I run at a track that has no AC. I'd like to pre-heat my new mills, especially when breaking them in.

Does any manufacturer make DC (12-14V) heating mill covers?

thanks!

Paul

PS: if a tech-savvy reader feels like making one for me, I'd be happy to be his first customer and we can take this over via PM
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am not sure if anyone makes the heater in a DC form, but you could go to Best Buy, Radio Shack, or even Wal-Mart and pick up a power converter that plugs into the lighter spot in your car and allows you to plug AC things into it. That way you could get a heater like the Competition Heat heater and be ok.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NorthCentral RC
I am not sure if anyone makes the heater in a DC form, but you could go to Best Buy, Radio Shack, or even Wal-Mart and pick up a power converter that plugs into the lighter spot in your car and allows you to plug AC things into it. That way you could get a heater like the Competition Heat heater and be ok.
Hi there

thanks for the idea - I actually thought about it a while ago and looked for a converter, that woulda solved the issue indeed! problem is that a heatgun (or even a hairdryer) sucks a lot of power... think anywhere from 600W to 1000W. A converter delivering that kind of wattage becomes very expensive, especially in western Europe where I live and where all electric appliances are a ripoff compared to US prices... shame

Hence my request that was a good suggestion though!

Paul
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default Use an inverter

http://www.houstonsengineservice.com...9ae9f1c6fd2b09
and use an inverter
Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Competition Heat Heaters do not need much wattage to operate. I think they need only 60 watts to be fully operational. That makes the inverter idea cost effective.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's a quote from a user in Norway...........................

sirKandal
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the heater with a volt converter 230 ->110v, it's working great. A little 50w converter is wery inexpensive and it's no problem at all

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...at-inc-31.html THE thread
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elkman
Ok now that is a pretty slick piece of equipment!

My question is... how well does it work? Does heating the cooling head transfer enough heat to the crankcase, sleeve, and piston? What temps will this device get the engine internals up to?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have been using the PowerHouse Mods engine heater from Mark. It's basically the same concept as Comp's, only not as pretty . All in all though, it works excellently. It can heat up and keep an engine up to around 200-210 or so, and yes, after maybe 8-10 minutes, you can feel the heat in the chassis, under the engine.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Follow this link halfway down page
http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-tape/=7ci4lq
Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ill Never Not use my Comp heater at a track that has Ac power present...being able to hit the track and have INSTANT power and be near optimal temps within Seconds is IMO The Cats As*

https://clockworkracingengines.com/c.../engine-heater
Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Thanks all

I just love how threads like this end up answering all kinds of different questions but the one asked

Ok - the initial question was - any DC heaters available? So far only Redvet answered it, very smartly btw, thanks Only issue is, McMC doesn't ship overseas The concept is good though, I'll search for heating/insulation stuff around here, I could be up onto sthing. thanks

Re AC heater w/ inverter - 50W can get you a big chunk of metal (engine + chassis) heated to 200deg in 8mn??? Mmmmh... don't remember much from my engineering classes ages ago but the order of magnitude looks funny. I would think 50W might be slightly on the optimistic side...

Anyways, while rummaging through my EP gear yesterday I found my tyre heaters again... And guess what, a ToroNero/Plus4 cooling head fits right in. And they're 12V, I know they suck quite a bit of current though (confirming my doubts on the 50W btw). And they're already paid for

I'll try that and let you know.

Thanks all for the help - lots of interesting pieces in there. Keep'em coming.

I still think there's a market for a DC mill heater, priced right (ie $50/$60 bucks max).

Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 06-02-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

update: I ordered a compheat

I looked into setting something up using my muchmore tire warmers, but it would have requested some fiddling with connectivity, some further insulation, and other toying around for an unsure result. Additionally, I still wouldn't be able to use the glow igniter without removing the cover, so in the end spending the extra cash to buy the compheat thingy (which I think is priced on the really, really high end given how much it prolly costs making) was the more sensible choice. I just hope they don't release a 220V version too quick from now

I need to find myself an inverter too I guess...

Lambchops, I'm sure you'll read this - why didn't you point out your product to me when I needed it a few days ago???

Paul
Old 06-16-2010, 04:35 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

im sure you could use one of these. i dont think it would get super hot but it would work pretty well

it will heat a tire up to 100°C 212°F but i dont know if it will heat up a motor as much

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-Warmer-Black
Old 06-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TIX
im sure you could use one of these. i dont think it would get super hot but it would work pretty well

it will heat a tire up to 100°C 212°F but i dont know if it will heat up a motor as much

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...e-Warmer-Black

that was exactly my point my friend - these are the very heaters I have (although I only have the "simple" mono-temp analog regulator - and mine costed about $60 back in the days ) at home. As mentionned, no idea if it will heat up a motor as much haha

(internet echo rocks )

Pauk
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default 12 vdc engine heater

see this post I have a link and some pics of one I made.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ng-engine.html
Look for the replies by me Redvet79
Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.