Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Ofna Picco running HOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default Help Ofna Picco running HOT

Ofna Picco .21 running hot .. Im a rookie and i need to know why its running hot
I do not want to damage my engine too bad ... I have the needle settings at factory except the high speed which is richer.. When up to 220 engine will only idle for 20 -30 seconds and it loads up.. When i run it fast i see smoke out the tail pipe .. yet after running it hard for a minute its really hot (300+) and i need to cool it... Any help i want to avoid blowing my engine..

Thank you for your input

Ps kinda a side note Im looking to replace my GS ADV+1 thats never been run .. I like the Xray and the Mugen so far .... I have the Ofna Picco RTR right now.. any input on this ... I also love building the car but keep in mind im a rookie driver but not bad..
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You might have an air leak somewhere that is surfacing when the temps get hot, causing you to go lean. I had a Force motor that had a cracked banjo fitting and would lean right out when it got hot. Maybe your temp gun is off as well???
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by moeman
You might have an air leak somewhere that is surfacing when the temps get hot, causing you to go lean. I had a Force motor that had a cracked banjo fitting and would lean right out when it got hot. Maybe your temp gun is off as well???

not sure about the air leak this buggy is pretty new and only has 10 tanks and i had to really watch the temp during break in too seemed to heat up fast.. Im using a duratrax Flashpoint temp gun ... I did a looked and didnt see anything .. but i know you prob wont see an air leak ... not sure how to find one..
Old 06-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tcaputo
not sure about the air leak this buggy is pretty new and only has 10 tanks and i had to really watch the temp during break in too seemed to heat up fast.. Im using a duratrax Flashpoint temp gun ... I did a looked and didnt see anything .. but i know you prob wont see an air leak ... not sure how to find one..
sorry 12 tanks .. not that it is important .. just dont wanna lie
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To start, I would get some Lucky7 and seal your engine (if not sealed already). Seal the backplate, carb, the ends of the carb pinch bolt, I even put some around the fuel inlet. Check tank, cap, and fuel lines for obvious sings of leaks/cracks.

Check your idle gap. Should start at about 1mm. I have ran the Picco Evo2 and always had to make sure it was WELL warm before tuning. LSN always was fat when cold. You didnt mention if your engine had any signs of a "lean bog" anywhere when warm. 12 tanks is not a bunch. My Picco took a long time to break in, and to get ride of the mechanical pinch. With only 12 tanks I would expect it to run on the warm side if your putting a race tune on it. Although 300 is quit warm. Try fattening it up, and running some more fuel through it, then sneak up on the tune.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=itsshemp;7535510]To start, I would get some Lucky7 and seal your engine (if not sealed already). Seal the backplate, carb, the ends of the carb pinch bolt, I even put some around the fuel inlet. Check tank, cap, and fuel lines for obvious sings of leaks/cracks.

Check your idle gap. Should start at about 1mm. I have ran the Picco Evo2 and always had to make sure it was WELL warm before tuning. LSN always was fat when cold. You didnt mention if your engine had any signs of a "lean bog" anywhere when warm. 12 tanks is not a bunch. My Picco took a long time to break in, and to get ride of the mechanical pinch. With only 12 tanks I would expect it to run on the warm side if your putting a race tune on it. Although 300 is quit warm. Try fattening it up, and running some more fuel through it, then sneak up on the tune.[/QUOTE

When Before i Opened up the HSN to run richer when i gave gas it would bog but when i opened up the needle it stopped .. The engine says its factory tuned .. I have not touched the LSN since im a rook at tuning these things...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Tcaputo;7535552]
Originally Posted by itsshemp
To start, I would get some Lucky7 and seal your engine (if not sealed already). Seal the backplate, carb, the ends of the carb pinch bolt, I even put some around the fuel inlet. Check tank, cap, and fuel lines for obvious sings of leaks/cracks.

Check your idle gap. Should start at about 1mm. I have ran the Picco Evo2 and always had to make sure it was WELL warm before tuning. LSN always was fat when cold. You didnt mention if your engine had any signs of a "lean bog" anywhere when warm. 12 tanks is not a bunch. My Picco took a long time to break in, and to get ride of the mechanical pinch. With only 12 tanks I would expect it to run on the warm side if your putting a race tune on it. Although 300 is quit warm. Try fattening it up, and running some more fuel through it, then sneak up on the tune.[/QUOTE

When Before i Opened up the HSN to run richer when i gave gas it would bog but when i opened up the needle it stopped .. The engine says its factory tuned .. I have not touched the LSN since im a rook at tuning these things...
Yeah your gunna have to touch the LSN. Check the idle gap first, then tune the LSN to get it to idle. You will then have to go back and forth form HSN and LSN to get the tune right. HSN adjustments effect the LSN also. Try to find someone at your local track to give you a hand with the tune. If your new to tuning, it can be frustrating for sure. Ask alot of questions, and pay attention to what they are listening for. Make sure it is an experienced tuner.