R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
The Calibers don't stand a chance at the local track. Those tiny pins rip off fast and the tire is no good after 5 minutes. I really hope they bring the Crimefighters and Bowties back, they are good strong tires.
Actually, they do very well out here on the East Coast tracks. I ran them down at the PNB, and at several races back home. The problem is with the abrasive clay/sand soil that we run on. I've been running M3, and after a few race weekends, they're pretty much shot. The leading edge of all the pins have rounded over, and I can see a decrease in forward bite. I'm going to turn them around during my next practice session to see if running the backwards helps any, but I don't know. I may just have to switch to the M2 compound to get better tread wear during the hotter months.

As a sidebar, the soft comound JConcepts Crosshairs that I've also been running seem to last about twice as long before needing to be rotated....and the tread is the same in both directions, so that's like getting close to 4 times the life over the calibers. Other folks may be getting different results, but that's what I'm seeing.

I do agree though, I'd like to see a Bowtie & Crimefighter tread brought back on the VTR wheels, with the new molded foam....that would be a wicked combination.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

I am mostly running Proline M3 Calibers lately... But going to try the Talons and see how the sidebite/forward bite compares..
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
The Calibers don't stand a chance at the local track. Those tiny pins rip off fast and the tire is no good after 5 minutes. I really hope they bring the Crimefighters and Bowties back, they are good strong tires.
I found the Calibers to be MUCH better than Crimefighters at my local track, and that was a set of XTR Calibers compared to M2 Crimes. I have a set of M2 Calibers I haven't tried yet, but I'm expecting those to be bounds better than the Crimefighters considering how much better the XTR versions were. Though, this was comparing VTR Calibers to LPR Crimes, but I think the tread design makes more of a noticeable difference than the tire/wheel size in this case.

I'd really like to try the Panther Talons. They look like a hybrid between JConcepts (center tread) and PL Calibers (outer tri-point tread). Looks very interesting. I wish Panther had the molded closed-cell foams though.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
They never stopped making them. Still available:

http://prolineracing.com/1-8-buggy-tires

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Just pick up a set of AKA I-BEAMS. They're better than a bowtie any day. Honestly I really like the Calibers.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
They never stopped making them. Still available:

http://prolineracing.com/1-8-buggy-tires
I think he was talking about Truggy...

ProLine only has VTR Truggy on their site now (Caliber, Holeshot, & Revolver). The Crimefighter & Bowtie were LPR, which they have apparently discontinued.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #22
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quick question for those in the know:

Why don't tire mfrs have as wide a truggy tire selection as they do buggy tires? Every mfr seems to only offer 3 or 4 types of truggy tire designs while there are easily 10-15 types per mfr of buggy tire designs. It would be nice to have the same selection (and be able to run the same tire design) on my buggy and truggy.

As for PL, I wish they would broaden their truggy selection. The Holeshots wear too fast (even though they grip well on my local tracks) and the Revolvers need too clean of a line (that my local track doesn't have), so the Caliber is pretty much the only PL tire I can run for my truggy. I'm going to try some JC treads to see how they do. I haven't tried any AKA truggy tires yet, but it seems to me that the CitiBlocks would be the only ones I'm interested in.

I hope Panther comes out with these Talons for truggies also.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Quick question for those in the know:

Why don't tire mfrs have as wide a truggy tire selection as they do buggy tires? Every mfr seems to only offer 3 or 4 types of truggy tire designs while there are easily 10-15 types per mfr of buggy tire designs. It would be nice to have the same selection (and be able to run the same tire design) on my buggy and truggy.

As for PL, I wish they would broaden their truggy selection. The Holeshots wear too fast (even though they grip well on my local tracks) and the Revolvers need too clean of a line (that my local track doesn't have), so the Caliber is pretty much the only PL tire I can run for my truggy. I'm going to try some JC treads to see how they do. I haven't tried any AKA truggy tires yet, but it seems to me that the CitiBlocks would be the only ones I'm interested in.

I hope Panther comes out with these Talons for truggies also.
Probably because truggies aren't as sensitive to tire changes as buggies are. They don't need as many tire choices because one of the couple available treads will most likely work. Buggy is also "the" RC class and always will be. It is the focus of the market and manufacturers.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

mmm Talon's...Very Nice tire.

Ran them at the JC Nats in Omaha and really liked them.

Im pretty sure a Truggy version is in the works.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

Yikes! I havn't seen a new panther tread design in quite a while!
jlbanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbanta View Post
Yikes! I havn't seen a new panther tread design in quite a while!

New stuff is on the Horizon All the time.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
What do you mean? bring back... are they discontinued

hope not, They are a tuning option for certain conditions. I took off the caliper and city blocks at a track two weeks back, used the bowfighter combo to break the track record, TQ and win.

The others had too much traction to be fast. You gotta go with what works that day...

I keep trying to quit, but not happening!
tharris1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris1959 View Post

hope not, They are a tuning option for certain conditions. I took off the caliper and city blocks at a track two weeks back, used the bowfighter combo to break the track record, TQ and win.

The others had too much traction to be fast. You gotta go with what works that day...
Buggy - still available
Truggy - apparently discontinued unless they're brought back in VTR size.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris1959 View Post

Well the VTR selection, which is the only thing proline makes for truggies now, only has Caliber, Holeshots, and Revolvers. They don't list the XTR compound anymore also. I'm hoping they just haven't got around to making the molds yet in the VTR size for Bowties and Crimefighters.

As for the compound XTR I love it. I drive so much better and more consistent. Maybe it's just me being weird, lol, the XTR compund is just awesome.

Ok I'm done whining. Sorry. I'm just gonna start trying other options and search for something else that works. This weekend I plan to order the line of AKA truck tires and experiment

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Well the VTR selection, which is the only thing proline makes for truggies now, only has Caliber, Holeshots, and Revolvers. They don't list the XTR compound anymore also. I'm hoping they just haven't got around to making the molds yet in the VTR size for Bowties and Crimefighters.

As for the compound XTR I love it. I drive so much better and more consistent. Maybe it's just me being weird, lol, the XTR compund is just awesome.

Ok I'm done whining. Sorry. I'm just gonna start trying other options and search for something else that works. This weekend I plan to order the line of AKA truck tires and experiment
Proline is discontinuing all XTR compound tires because nobody but the pros use them in 45 minute mains. I wish they would still make XTR compounds because my track is very abrasive and high bite.

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote