R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default ceramic bearings vs regular?

Well im getting new bearings for my car. Do you thing that i should get ceramic bearings or just stay with the stock ones on my d8. What are so good about ceramic bearings? Thanks
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Well

The ceramic engine bearings are great, and so are the drivetrain ones, however, with the need to replace bearings frequently in offroad I use Avid revolutions. they are a buck a piece and you won't have to clean them, just replace them every 6 races or practice days, maybe longer depending on the sizes your buggy uses. Now if you just gotta have the best and don't mind spending the extra cash the ceramics are really smooth, and lighter, thus spooling up faster.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
The ceramic engine bearings are great, and so are the drivetrain ones, however, with the need to replace bearings frequently in offroad I use Avid revolutions. they are a buck a piece and you won't have to clean them, just replace them every 6 races or practice days, maybe longer depending on the sizes your buggy uses. Now if you just gotta have the best and don't mind spending the extra cash the ceramics are really smooth, and lighter, thus spooling up faster.
+1 on that.

Avid supplies great bearings as does TKO.
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
+1 on that.

Avid supplies great bearings as does TKO.
I put the ceramic TKO bearings in my p5, wow what a difference. You were right Jimmy, thanks for the advice back when......
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I put the ceramic TKO bearings in my p5, wow what a difference. You were right Jimmy, thanks for the advice back when......
Ya im just thinking for the diffs and the clutch.
Edit: im just gonna buy avid bearings. But for my clutch bell im gonna run the ceramics. I can get 6 tkos for like 7.50. Not too bad
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
Ya im just thinking for the diffs and the clutch.
Edit: im just gonna buy avid bearings. But for my clutch bell im gonna run the ceramics. I can get 6 tkos for like 7.50. Not too bad
That sounds like a great Idea. Avid revolutions with ceramic clutch bearings.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

my diffs are running the 8x16x5 and my clutch 5x11x4. How often would you replace them?
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default well

If you race on dirt and not clay or indoor tracks then every 5-6 racedays for the diff bearings, and every 3-5 racedays on the clutch bearings.

If you race on clay without too much loose dirt or sand then a few races more. When you replace them check the old ones and if they are loose and or gritty then that's about the right time, if they still feel smooth then you could get a little more time on the next set, but replace them anyway, usually I replace them when I do the diffs and do a major car cleaning. Why not if you have the whole car apart put new bearings in it. Keep an eye on the clutch bearings you never know with those. they are so small and take lots of heat and stress. Make sure and shim the bell good with just the smallest ammount of play for the best reliability I like to use those 3mm cap head washers on the screw that holds the clutch bell on. Kyosho makes some in blue, and racers edge too. It looks like a cone and the screw head fits down inside it. Glad to help out..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Blue-6
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Dlewis4's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MO
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I have a ful set of Boca Orange Seal ceramics... the best money can buy. Yes, they are very smooth, and very reliable. Did i need them? No. I bought them because my friend was switching cars, and had a brand new set in the package that i got cheap.

I wouldnt spend $300 on ceramics, but i do like how well these feel after a weekend of racing compared to the stock steel bearings
__________________
Why is this hobby so full of drama? Its toy cars....
Dlewis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis4 View Post
I have a ful set of Boca Orange Seal ceramics... the best money can buy. Yes, they are very smooth, and very reliable. Did i need them? No. I bought them because my friend was switching cars, and had a brand new set in the package that i got cheap.

I wouldnt spend $300 on ceramics, but i do like how well these feel after a weekend of racing compared to the stock steel bearings
How long do they last
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 67
Default

It hard to say " How long ? " me = same life as normal bearings.

Maybe longer if you maintain them, ( minus = too much work. )

Ceramics is good for on road cars but not for offroad. The constant banging and jumping of buggies makes C/B too fragile. And it is expensive.

Normal bearing is good and cheap to replace. I change them frequently. Regarding avid/boca...........or many out there............there's no significant difference between them. just rollers. i find the cheapest available.
king offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Dlewis4's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MO
Posts: 4,758
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Have a buddy with a set of them in his losi 2.0... he races twice a week. THey have been in his buggy for 2 years, No problems.

Mine i just got. Have about a month on them, and havent had to touch a single one.
__________________
Why is this hobby so full of drama? Its toy cars....
Dlewis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

You don't need to change bearings that often on the car, just when they feel gritty! clutch bell I do every gallon or so. Go regular for offroad except when you replacing engine bearings go ceramic
__________________
Associated~Tekno~Mugen
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
You don't need to change bearings that often on the car, just when they feel gritty! clutch bell I do every gallon or so. Go regular for offroad except when you replacing engine bearings go ceramic
yep i have a new engine thats getting shipped out tommorrow. i plan on changing to ceramics around 2 gallons. Ive heard you get better performance with them.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
yep i have a new engine thats getting shipped out tommorrow. i plan on changing to ceramics around 2 gallons. Ive heard you get better performance with them.
What engine? And yes you get a little more RPM's on ceramics for the engine
__________________
Associated~Tekno~Mugen
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan kentech Electric On-Road 11403 06-21-2017 03:10 AM
AVID vs Ready Rollers Bearings!! KWT-NITRO Nitro Off-Road 64 04-22-2010 06:09 AM
My Truggy is possessed (aka do ceramic bearings *really* have that much effect?) Amoeba Nitro Off-Road 8 08-27-2009 05:51 AM
RBMods RB WS7 vs Regular RB WS7 jk1152 Nitro Off-Road 6 01-04-2009 06:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:51 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net