R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post

A low voltage beeper is not necessary. You will know 100% when the lipo dumps nd it will still be above 12.4 volts just stop using it when the motors slow down. Believe me you can tell if you pay attention.

Imo for the $$ its worth it, A pre Warning in colored lights followed by a Buzzer you Cant Ignore WILL save your pack, Ive seen a few lipo's go to the trash due to over discharging. You open your box to plug it in right ? What's the big deal on plugging in 1 more connector and having the piece of mind you'll KNOW when the pack is dying.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Imo for the $$ its worth it, A pre Warning in colored lights followed by a Buzzer you Cant Ignore WILL save your pack, Ive seen a few lipo's go to the trash due to over discharging. You open your box to plug it in right ? What's the big deal on plugging in 1 more connector and having the piece of mind you'll KNOW when the pack is dying.
No big deal just not necessary IMO. You can tell when the lipo slows down that's all I'm saying.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madblu2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
haha, you're wife kicks-ass dude!

I agree, LiPo is pretty awesome compared to the old lug gel-cell, here's mine, nearly everything I need in it:

Nitrofreakmanho. nice starterbox. I may have to adapt my box the same way. All you will need in the pit area is a fuel bottle and your starter box. I would be able to 86 my pit bag.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

going forward, this needs to be standard thought, a freind of mine had his ignite in his basement , ( probably his fault ) but a beeper might have made the difference, before catching his house on fire.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hi i have ofna blue box i want to convert to lipo. is 40c 3600 mah lipo too much coz i have 1 already. plus im changing connectors to traxxas. tnx
vinz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
going forward, this needs to be standard thought, a freind of mine had his ignite in his basement , ( probably his fault ) but a beeper might have made the difference, before catching his house on fire.
Never, Never, Never leave a lipo pluged into anything unattended. I open the box and install the battery unpluged, transport it - then open the box at the track and plug it in. I do the same thing on the way home. There could be a very small draw that drains it over a period of time and causes a problem. When I store them they are always in a firesafe lipo bag. Lipos are great but they do require a certain level of care wen handling them. Respect them and they will reward you.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I realise that it's likely been posted before, but when I went to Lipo I wanted my starter box contact switch to last, for a long time. So I added a relay. Once I got that far I decided to re-build (ans solder) the whole thing. I added charge/check ports and a voltage buzzer. The box is excellent now, and is dummy proof (the buzzer is ANNOYING and LOUD).

Since I've been asked before I drew up a quick wiring diagram. The way it's wired, if the switch is off, nothing works, not even the charge ports or buzzer. That way if the switch is off there is no chance of something bridging the ports and shorting things out. I unplug the deans for transport as a secondary safety.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I used a typical automotive SPST (Single pole/single throw) relay available at almost any auto parts store. I'll have to post a pic of the actual box later, as I don't have one yet.

RC8.2E - Tekin/Savox/Reedy
M06 Pro - Orca/Savox/Reedy
DeastyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Tools in a Lipo box, it never even crossed my mind. Thats a great idea.
tbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
No big deal just not necessary IMO. You can tell when the lipo slows down that's all I'm saying.
But can the Noobie pit man. My Buzzer's Will shut down the whole system to a point you need to Unplug everything to get the beeping to stop.(Yes its audible in pit row with cars rollin on track) for the $ and effort i feel its worth it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #40
Tech Regular

I'm having problems with my starter box (OFNA). That's why I wanted to replace my gel cell battery with a LiPo. But after trying to fire up my JPX .21 (after 4 gallons) on the box powered by car-battery I'm not sure if my problems are caused by not powerfull enough power source...

Eventually I started the engine but it was veeeeeery difficult.

Do you have any ideas what is wrong with my starter box? I have to check everything to avoid spending money for a LiPo if it wasn't needed.
Donat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #41
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat View Post
I'm having problems with my starter box (OFNA). That's why I wanted to replace my gel cell battery with a LiPo. But after trying to fire up my JPX .21 (after 4 gallons) on the box powered by car-battery I'm not sure if my problems are caused by not powerfull enough power source...

Eventually I started the engine but it was veeeeeery difficult.

Do you have any ideas what is wrong with my starter box? I have to check everything to avoid spending money for a LiPo if it wasn't needed.
if it has duel 775's one of your motors could have stoped working, take your belt off and engage and see if they are both spinning
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
if it has duel 775's one of your motors could have stoped working, take your belt off and engage and see if they are both spinning
I has single 770 motor and it's spinning... atleast if no load is applied. The problem accurs while trying to start the engine. It seems like it would really like to start the engine but couldn't do this.

What can cause that? Motor brushes?

I'm really surprised that this box stopped working properly. It's not very old and wasn't being used in "extreme" conditions...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat View Post
I has single 770 motor and it's spinning... atleast if no load is applied. The problem accurs while trying to start the engine. It seems like it would really like to start the engine but couldn't do this.

What can cause that? Motor brushes?

I'm really surprised that this box stopped working properly. It's not very old and wasn't being used in "extreme" conditions...
check all wireing make sure everything is secure, motor might just be tired. make sure wheel is not rubbing chassis slowing it down
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #44
Tech Lord

If you dont have the box Perfectly aligned, Single motor boxes can struggle. I highly suggest you upgrade to the Ofna Truggy box with Dual 775's and your problem should disappear all together.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Ok, with the engine removed i looked at it closely and there IS a possibility that wheel is touching the chassis. Unfortunately i killed my engine a few days ago so i can't check if alignment is an issue but on Friday i will check it with my friend's 2.0 truggy - hopefully it will fit on the box.

Also the isolation of one of the wires is slightly damaged. The wire itself looks untouched.

It doesn't look too good but may it make the box stop working? ...