Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got a Question for you Nitro guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default Got a Question for you Nitro guys?

Hey, Im thinking about getting into racing nitro Off road. Im racing eletric right now. But I want to get a truggy. I just got one quik question right now and that is, Does anyone use the traxxas revo as a truggy and if anyone does, How does it work?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

REVO would get killed by today's truggys
Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It will work fine as a rolling speedbump.

The revo just won't cut it racing against todays truggy's. Also if you try to race a revo you may not have anybody else to race against. Monster truck racing has died out most everywhere.

You'll put way too much $$$ into a revo trying to race against truggy's. I tried to race mine last summer and just felt like I was getting nowhere.

This year I got a D8T truggy and now I understand why a true truggy is sooo much better.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default revo

Sorry my friend, the Revo is a 1/10th scale monster truck, NOT a 1/8th scale truggy and wouldn't stand a chance against them. I know from experience, I have both monster trucks and a Mantis truggy, those truggy engines are just too much for a 3.3 to compete against.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Revo

The Revo is an excellent truck........for a 1/10th scale Monster truck. However, it is NOT in the same league as 1/8th scale truggy's. Some may even say the Revo had a lot to do with the increase in Truggy popularity as the only thing that can beat a Revo is another Revo. IMHO
Pick out a good truggy based on your use and wallet and enjoy the big block world. Personally I run a couple of lesser known Robitronic Mantis's, they fit my needs and wallet <G>.
Losi, Associated, Cen, Tamiya and several others make excellent truggy's, good luck
Old 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by diesel32x
Hey, Im thinking about getting into racing nitro Off road. Im racing eletric right now. But I want to get a truggy. I just got one quik question right now and that is, Does anyone use the traxxas revo as a truggy and if anyone does, How does it work?
You can not run them in the same class because of the sealed transmission in the revo. Plus they are slow and complicated to work on.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default For the money...

For the amount of money you would spend on a Revo you could get into a nice truggy or buggy for less. I see nice rollers on ebay all the time for $200.00 or so. Add about another $250.00 for electronics (mid grade) and $300.00 on an engine/pipe (mid grade) and you would have a nice runner for about $750.00 ish. You would also need to have a starter, fuel etc. if you want to race competitively, you are looking at a grand.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by no1rick
... the only thing that can beat a Revo is another Revo...
ROFLMAO too funny!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Revo

Always glad to bring a little humor for all
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo
ROFLMAO too funny!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

At my track there is a brushless revo which is really good, but us mugen drivers are faster
Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

At my locial track the Mugen MBX6t seems the way to go at the moment, i would say about 70% of people are using them.........but iam holding out and dreaming the day hobao/ofna release a new truggy based on the hyper 9 platform
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

y you would ever want to run a revo instead of a real truggy is lost on me you can get a great car for not that much money. if you don't want to build by a losi 8t 2.0 (i am not a losi guy) but i know lost o people that have bought these cars and have great success with them. or you could go with a HOTBODIES D8T. i love this car. easy to build. fun to drive and easy to maintain.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do not buy the D8t it's junk!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Before I ever knew about racing rc buggies and truggies, I bought a revo and t-maxx. After a while I found out about our local track and decided to go take a look. They let me run my revo since there's not that many truggies normally.

Only people I could beat was those that couldn't tune their engines.
The revo has the following weaknesses compared to truggies:
1. Truggies have a tighter turning circle
2. Truggies accelerate faster
3. Truggies have lower center of gravity

Best idea is to get a truggy.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Everyones gonna throw out there idea in what they think u should get based on what they no, some will also say dont get this or that because of there experience with that product. Honestly get what u want n don't go cheap because it's almost the worst thing u can do is go cheap in this hobby. It took mr up till about 5 months ago to get it straight on what works for me n that's a Losi 8t 2.0, I will say this I hated there car before I drove it cause I was pissed everyone had one so I went n drove a Japanese truck (won't say names) and it broke alot n didn't handle n was really honestly burning me out. So I got the losi n I was even mad at myself for getn what everyone has but in the end it was the greatest decision of my Rc life period. Losi has it together and I mean there's not a loose end they forgot about everything down to there parts ordering and maintnence r light years ahead of everyone exept mugen. So don't be afraid to spend money if u go losi cause ull never look back u mite get upset cause ur always buying fuel but that's cause u never really havin to get down and work on it replacing parts and keeping it fresh, mine has 4 gallon on it in 3 weeks and it's only getting better. No breaking or handling issues it just performs and never breaks. My current car is a losi 2.0 t with an m11 radio Airtronics servos and I go between engines but my main race engine is a ninja jx 21 and practice is a nova p5, lipo ofna box Eb mods fuel muchmore glow igniter and iv never been happier I just wish I would of had someone tell me how to do it day 1.