Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Freshness

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Fuel Freshness

I don't race often enough to use up a gallon in 2 or 3 months. Assuming it's kept indoors in a cabinet (and not on concrete) with original caps tight, how old is to old once the gallon has been opened? I don't put fuel from my bottle back in the jug.

Another question concerning shelf life of unopened gallons. I've noticed one of my favorite hobby shops dosn't seem to move much car fuel. He may even have some left from last year. It sets on a metal shelf and may get some sun. I've noticed a few of the bottle wraps look like the bottle has sweated enough over time to stain them. I'm thinking this can't be good. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by BrettL; 06-06-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Prophet

it should stay good for about a, year or two if you have the red cap on and sqeazeing the air out of, the gallon/quart also with the main cap tight .

and shakeing it up also once in a while.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wont use it when it gets around 3 months, just my preferance. These mill cost alot and using old fuel to me is a bad idea some may say otherwise but again just my 2 cents.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I wasn't thrilled about it but today I raced with some Trinity 20% that only had about 2 tanks used from the gallon last fall. It was kept inside the whole time with the red plug and cap on tight. To my surprise I ran 8 tanks from it and all performed equal and well.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

brett where you buying your fuel? I know hobby town moves some fuel I doubt he has any left there form that long ago.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what ive done now, having the same concerns.. i rebottle my fuel.

i have 4 quart bottles i won from a race last year. so i buy a full gallon to save costs. funnel them into the quarts. cap it super tight. and then they're sealed in a zip loc. the one thats being used, is squeezed the air out, and caped, and bagged separately.

thats the best i can do.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've got about 4 quarts of tower hobbies 20% fuel from 2001 and it works just fine, no issues at all. I bought 2 gallons back then and have since bought various quarts of other stuff. Anyhow they were wrapped in newspaper and stored in a box on my basement shelf. They never saw light until ready to use and they worked just as good as day 1. I've been using it to mix with 30% blue thunder fuel lately to make it go further and have not had any issues so far. I was under the impression that after a year or so it went bad, but nearly 9 years later its still working just fine. I haven't had to retune my engine or anything, it just works. So at least in my experience as long as its sealed and doesn't see any light it should stay fresh for quite some time.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

My max is one year....... Keep it off the floor is a place that hold its temp through out the year....

Should not have a problem.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

IF you start with fresh fuel you can guage your storage times better. Coldfusion makes the fuel when you order it. Thats about as fresh of a start as you can get.

I've ran fuel thats over a year old. Keep it in a constant climate, out of direct sunlight and up off the floor and it should be good. You can tell when mosture has penetrated the bottle. It will have condesation at the top of the bottle.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Thats just metanol condensed on the top of the jug not water. Even if the jug is perfectly sealed you'll still have that condensation.

The little bit of air that gets in there can't make quite that amount of condensation, even in Humid Alabamba. Don't belie me, just reach in there and grab those droplets, they taste like death to me, not water.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

No thanks on the taste test. I believe ya!