R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Williams View Post
you can listen to everyones "personal flavors" all day long...........until you actually drive them on your home track, you'll never know..........I suggest asking some friends at the track if you could possibly test their cars to help you make a wise decision.
I've driven a lot of cars and every one handled differently, even same brands. So he lives in Russia and wanted opinions, so there you go.

Personally the 808 is my favorite, but If I were to buy a new buggy and not an xray, then the Serpent looks to be a well made car.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

give one of the next gen kits ago. Serpent, Agama, durango have or are going to come out with some new cars and this should shake things up a bit. maybe you should try one. i hear that they all have some really good ideas and are fairly priced.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8 View Post
i would say HB D8... can't beat the performance for the $., the material used on the HB susp arms and other plastic parts are very tough & very durable.. the mugen mbx6 handles excellent but it is not as planted as the D8 and the material used on the susp arms are not as durable as you would think....

my .03 cents
By the time you add all the upgraded parts to make it equivalent to top shelf brands, its not quite the bargain that it appears.
Look at any of the Team HB drivers, and you will see they have every option part (especially lightening) on thie rbuggy or truggy.
I can honestly I have never broken anything on my Mugens that shouldnt have broke.
A 40+ mph landing as wrong as possible into the face of a jump should break arms
It may not have broken my old z-car arms, but the cvd would have looked like a banana
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I've driven a lot of cars and every one handled differently, even same brands. So he lives in Russia and wanted opinions, so there you go.

Personally the 808 is my favorite, but If I were to buy a new buggy and not an xray, then the Serpent looks to be a well made car.
whatever.............I edited my post

Last edited by Trevor Williams; 06-07-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
By the time you add all the upgraded parts to make it equivalent to top shelf brands, its not quite the bargain that it appears.
Look at any of the Team HB drivers, and you will see they have every option part (especially lightening) on thie rbuggy or truggy.
I can honestly I have never broken anything on my Mugens that shouldnt have broke.
A 40+ mph landing as wrong as possible into the face of a jump should break arms
It may not have broken my old z-car arms, but the cvd would have looked like a banana
i hit the same jump you have broken arms at multiple times in a far worse angle and didnt break a thing. mine is BOX STOCK and no issues. by far the HB is the best bargain on the market. not bashing mugen at all because i really like mugen but IMO the HB might be just a little more durable. im going to get smack now but i might just one of the lucky ones. i guess i better stop talking about how lucky i have been before i get a DNF .... but i really think you cant go wrong with HB or mugen, IMO they are the best out there. just the HB is cheaper.

but as stated before, everyone is going to say what is their favorite and everything but no one can tell you what to get.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
you don't need all the option parts to make the D8/D8T a good performer and all the factory team drivers DO NOT use all the option parts., IMO the SH buggy is more durable than the mugen..

btw.. since D8 came out back in 2008 the buggy has been able to finish in the podium at just about every top race here in the US, even when it was only a prototype, not many manufactors can make that statement..
Sidewiinder Fuel
D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
you don't need all the option parts to make the D8/D8T a good performer and all the factory team drivers DO NOT use all the option parts., IMO the SH buggy is more durable than the mugen..

btw.. since D8 came out back in 2008 the buggy has been able to finish in the podium at just about every top race here in the US, even when it was only a prototype, not many manufactors can make that statement..
No you dont need all the optional parts at club a local level, but if you look at the interviews and such that magazines have done on the winning HB Pros cars, they all have the upgrades, maybe not all 100% but a majority of them, like Haras shock towers, chassis, cvds etc when he won the worlds.

The Z-Car is tougher than ANY buggy
Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
i hit the same jump you have broken arms at multiple times in a far worse angle and didnt break a thing. mine is BOX STOCK and no issues. by far the HB is the best bargain on the market. not bashing mugen at all because i really like mugen but IMO the HB might be just a little more durable. im going to get smack now but i might just one of the lucky ones. i guess i better stop talking about how lucky i have been before i get a DNF .... but i really think you cant go wrong with HB or mugen, IMO they are the best out there. just the HB is cheaper.

but as stated before, everyone is going to say what is their favorite and everything but no one can tell you what to get.
Didnt your HB buggy just break a cvd?
Multiple times? Twice I broke there, both times by all accounts I should have broken.
I thought that HB buggy was borrowed or did you buy it already?
My MBX6 truggy has yet to break anything, have you even ran the HB buggy yet at Atl SX to hit that jump?
All I have seen you drive there was your CEN buggy, and HB Truggy as I recall.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
D8
Tech Master

Quote:
No you dont need all the optional parts at club a local level, but if you look at the interviews and such that magazines have done on the winning HB Pros cars, they all have the upgrades, maybe not all 100% but a majority of them, like Haras shock towers, chassis, cvds etc when he won the worlds.

The Z-Car is tougher than ANY buggy
not what Ty Tessman told me in e-mails.. Hara is about the only driver that runs more option parts than the rest, the tall shock tower is not used by Hara all the time, at some tracks he does and others he doesn't..
Sidewiinder Fuel
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
not what Ty Tessman told me in e-mails.. Hara is about the only driver that runs more option parts than the rest, the tall shock tower is not used by Hara all the time, at some tracks he does and others he doesn't..
Per HB team drivers, and Ty - there are several hop up needed for this buggy. so add another 100 bucks on top of the chassis.... I pit for some HB drivers and they have had more problems with stuff breaking and bending than most other cars....... but once you get them dialed they look pretty good......

OPINIONSOPINIONSOPINIONSOPINIONSOPINIONSOPINIONSOP INIONS

You have you use you gut instinct and just buy one... no one can answer this for you.

But opinions opinions
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Go AE...FTMFW!
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #27
D8
Tech Master

everybody have diffrnt driving styles than others and some people break more stuff than others, i have never broken any arms or bend the towers, my only problem was the top screws holding the wing mount to the tower., they did went thru mount one time, and i just put some good washers bigger than the screw head to prevent it from doing it again, i had to used my dremel tool to reduced the washers size and problem solved..

p.s.
the lightened chassis and the new style cnc spindles and spindle carrier are about the only hod ups needed but,those susp parts were not available until several months ago and the buggy was still wining.. hell opinions will always be opinions
Sidewiinder Fuel

Last edited by D8; 06-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #28
F-1
Tech Regular

And what about how the Losi 2.0 and Mugen MBX6 drive and broken out of the box?
F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-1 View Post
Hello! I want to change my Hyper 9 to another chassis, want to try some new car. Which can you recommend? I was already trying Asso RC8, Xray 808, Hyper 9 2.0. The plastic of RC8 quickly fragment, the parts starting to babble very quick. The xray 808 has understeer... Hyper 9 - all ok, but want to try new another car
Thanks

The Xray 810 deosn't understeer. The kit settings do. The Xray has a freakish ability to generate rear grip. Excessive rear grip causes over steer. It's easy to take away rear grip and add rotation. Overdrive front ring gear and a front active diff do wonders. The new 1.3x8/ 1.1x10 pistons help alot to. Expect to use more than average rear camber and a stiff sway bar on the rear of the Xray. Xray screwed up when they put 10 degree caster blocks in the kit. Should have come with 12 or 14 for turn in. So you can add at least another 100$ to te Xray for rear blugrey springs, 42th front ring rear, 12 caster blocks, and the new majik pistons.

I can send some setup sheets that concentrate on rotation. Just PM me if you go Xray. The car will still understeer if you use the wrong tires or drive slow. Like a true racecar, it only handles right at full race pace. Slowing down to a conservative pace will cause the Xray to start to get more lethergic. The Xray may be a bit too light. Likes mini pin Gridiron type tires when others are rocking Cityblocks. It also requires extra care to the front pinion bearings and front diff lube.

The RC8 is easy to pilot. Also has the majik 1.1x10 pistons available. Lands jumps like a pile of oil soaked rags. But it's still useing old school C-hub tech and the plastic and metal parts wear 2-3 times faster than Mugen/Xray. It still deosn't have threaded hingpins like Mugen/Xray/Losi. And all those pills for suspension settings are kinda annoying.

The Losi deserves a good hard look. Kinda edgy to drive. Rod ends and balls wear fast. Have they fixed the servo eating radio tray yet! (Horizon still deny this???) Looks like a tuna.

The Mugen is alot like the Xray quality wise. You can under drive the rear of the Mugen for the same insane rotation on dry tracks like the Xray. Has stronger gearboxes than Xray. A bit heavier.

The D8 is a tank and drives well. In the Rc8's range pricewise. (parts & kit) But is a better machine IMO.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Didnt your HB buggy just break a cvd?
Multiple times? Twice I broke there, both times by all accounts I should have broken.
I thought that HB buggy was borrowed or did you buy it already?
My MBX6 truggy has yet to break anything, have you even ran the HB buggy yet at Atl SX to hit that jump?
All I have seen you drive there was your CEN buggy, and HB Truggy as I recall.
it was a borrowed buggy that has the original drive shafts (the ones that were snapping) but it was my fault for not checking the droop, it popped out of the outdrives then back in twisting it and putting tons of strain on it. but man i gave that buggy everything i had at the loganville trophy/mud race and everyone was watching waiting on it to break but never did also Jonathon Long just bought a HB buggy and truggy and he did some major cart wills and clipping landings with one front tire and he finished, idk how but he did .... also i have driven the Jammin X2 truggy there too. but with that truggy i ruined the front axils in one race but like i said Mugen is very durable too and great on the track, not bashing them one single bit, i love mugen too BUT i cant afford one. i mean i was about to order a Mugen from you when i sold my Jammin and slash but still was coming up short so i had to settle with HB. however, im very happy with it. i am doing very well with them and getting faster every time i drive it. also like i said my fastest lap at longanville is with the Mugen. that right there says im not hatin on mugen at all. im just more consistent with HB. you even witnessed my flawless race day when i was only marshaled twice during the whole day, both in one qualifier, but going threw three qualifiers and a main with only marshaled twice is good IMO.

IMO HotBodies or Mugen are the best, personally i dont like losi just because of the front end push, but that probably could have been changed with setup but like i said before didnt have the money for one of those either.

but there are a few people around our area that got extremely fast once going with Mugen, including: Jamey Harris, Ashley Fields, Micheal Bourne, Shay ETC. the last three were already fast but step it up more, that also Includes Paul, he got alot faster, and more confident then you were with Z-car, and i didnt think that would ever happen that zbuggy and ztruggy were your babies
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote