Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
easyest italian engines to break in excludeing rb engines >

easyest italian engines to break in excludeing rb engines

easyest italian engines to break in excludeing rb engines

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

The B5 is a GREAT engine don't let anyone tell you its not because it is. obviously that person wasnt doing something right...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
The B5 is a GREAT engine don't let anyone tell you its not because it is. obviously that person wasnt doing something right...
'

i believe you its a italian engine so it cant be bad ! and all the good feed back also, the main problem im having is i can get it to run in the parking, lot but soon as i let go of the throttle it shuts off. and i have leaned out the low end a half of a turn, and a 1/4 of a turn also same thing.

and the glow plug is good and, i have lean out the top end a little also.

and ive lean out the low end a half of a turn 1/4 turn and same thing , and i have to hit the throttle to get it started also.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
'

i believe you its a italian engine so it cant be bad ! and all the good feed back also, the main problem im having is i can get it to run in the parking, lot but soon as i let go of the throttle it shuts off. and i have leaned out the low end a half of a turn, and a 1/4 of a turn also same thing.

and ive lean out the low end a half of a turn 1/4 turn and same thing , and i have to hit the throttle to get it started also.
You have a local hobby shop near by ? if so go in there and see if they will go over your set-up with you and get you ball park. Might be a good experience.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
You have a local hobby shop near by ? if so go in there and see if they will go over your set-up with you and get you ball park. Might be a good experience.

no used to went out of business , d&k is the closet.

i have broken in taiwan engines before, they were easy never had touch the needles to get it running. and i ran a nova last year and had help with the break in but it started right away from the factory.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I sure like the B5 !!! It has a nice build quality if you ask me, the case is beefy, the machining is clean, the crank is good quality steel and well hardened....The carbs are sealed really good and tune very easily...The carbs also seem to be very thermally insulated as the tune stays rock solid even when the engine is pushed into the higher temperature ranges..... All in all from a mechanical point of view its a dam solid engine.... I also have dyno tested the engine and its definitely a strong performer, it has amazing bottom end and midrange power, as well as a very respectable top end.....IMHO I think the engine is priced lower then it should be when you compare it to the other $200.00 engines on the market.... .A fair market value on the B5 should be at least $250.00.. And even then it would be a great value..... When you start looking at all the little details in the B5 and compare to others in its price range it doesn't take long to realize the B5 is the sand bagger of the class, this is not a $200.00 engine, to compare it to the others at $200.00 is just not a fair fight ! ... I don't care what anyone says , as far as I am concerned right now the B5 is in a different class altogether to anything else in this price range....I have ran the hell out of my B5 and it runs like Clockwork every time !

Last edited by Maximo; 06-05-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

'

Ok this may be a shot in the dark, but it really just sounds like your idle is not set correctly, or your throttle linkage is way off
Old 06-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Ok this may be a shot in the dark, but it really just sounds like your idle is not set correctly, or your throttle linkage is way off
Could be a few different things. I think he should go to the track and get some help. Maybe on a practice day. It's just so hard to pin point some issues on the forum posts unless it's a picture,vid, or cut and dry. AS MUCH AS WE WOULD LOVE TO HELP !
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Tech Prophet

the idle is set good and the linkage is set good also , with a little gap in between the collar.

yea im might just go to track and see whats wrong.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Add a throttle return spring to this as well. Its all of the small things that suck.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Add a throttle return spring to this as well. Its all of the small things that suck.

i have a hair rubber band on the linkage, i dont like the throttle return spring.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I would guess the only reason you are having so much trouble is because you may not be pre heating it enough. Don't be afraid to get it up to 240 or so with the heat gun before you start it. After a couple of tanks of running in at preheated temps it goes pretty smooth from there. I had my Nova almost fully race tunes after 10 tanks of fuel and after tank three I only needed to heat it to about 180 to get it fired right up. Once you can turn it over by hand you don't need to heat it anymore as long as you have a good starter box. Getting it nice and hot will also save your rod and make your engine last allot longer. They are tight for a reason. Enjoy the process of getting it all warm and fuzzy so it can reward you for months of enjoyment. If you are really so dead set against the break in process look into getting your engines hand lapped. A good modded can shave very slight tolerances off your piston that in turn eliminates the break in process.

Man I dont trust anyone to break in my mills. That way if something goes wrong I know why. Its usually because its on its 2nd p/s/r and 14-15 gallons on the crank. It wasent always that way I went through 3 engines in 4 months when I 1st got started just dont be intimidated and ask questions. It takes time to get your feet wet and feel confident with what you are doing with these gas engines. They are not like the plug and play electric stuff. Personally I like OS engines (I know its a Jap job but man they run smooth), Nova's are also great if you are hooked on the Italian deal.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Tech Prophet

jaz 240 , i did use the heat gun but, only heated up intil it got around 195 so il try around the 200 and see what happens .

frank l i think it depends on what company you get it broken in by or modded .
Old 06-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank L

Man I dont trust anyone to break in my mills. That way if something goes wrong I know why. Its usually because its on its 2nd p/s/r and 14-15 gallons on the crank. It wasent always that way I went through 3 engines in 4 months when I 1st got started just dont be intimidated and ask questions. It takes time to get your feet wet and feel confident with what you are doing with these gas engines. They are not like the plug and play electric stuff. Personally I like OS engines (I know its a Jap job but man they run smooth), Nova's are also great if you are hooked on the Italian deal.
Bam ! That's good advice. Losi guys !
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default So true

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
naa, meANS SOMETHING DIFFERENT.Whoops caps.

anyway what are you worried about with the break in ? you should be able to handle just bring patience. Some italian engines like novas have alot of pinch and take lots a fuel to get them ran in. having the right plugs and shimming for nitro content is key as well.

Whose doing the break in ? Have you looked in the houstons engine service thread ? I don't suggest modding your engine but he can prolly guide you to a great engine set-up. Just saying theres more to nitro off road engines then the cheap flavor of the month. Thats my opinion.
I like Novarossi or rb engines. They have fewer issues and drive so smooth just like you said.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default try

'

Turning up the idle just a bit or lean the bottom more. Then as it breaks in lower the idle back down and after leaning the top for speed go back and retune the bottom just to get it right. They come rich on the botom from factory......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.