What should i get? Truggy or Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should i get? Truggy or Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=jwm2;7503050]The tracks around here are specially made for rc, one of them is pretty small compared to the other track. But a truggy or buggy would be just fine at either. Both feature jumps no bigger than 2 1/2 -3ft high and those are the large jumps. I could see either a truggy or buggy flying around both tracks with ease.

I do have some issues at one track with my monster truck but thats mostly due to its layout, blind areas, poorly placed jumps, etc. In fact that track if it weren't for the races, prizes and they are open later in the evening, i wouldn't even think about going back to again. But it is what it is and if i want to compete i'll just have to adapt one way or another.

I do notice short course trucks are very popular at both but that seems too competitive and they mostly run electrics, so i don't know if its something i would want to get into right now.

it depends on the track if there is more buggys than truggys, if there is a track that is smooth you will proberty, see more compition in buggy and if its a small track also.

if it a track that is ruff and rutty like the track i go to , there is more truggys than buggys and its a big track not hugh big enough.

you can use a .21 engine in a truggy it has plenty of torque power, and the fuel milage is a lot better than .28.

same thing with the buggys also, although i do think that buggy jump better and more leveled and do take off faster.

Honestly i know it sounds like i am leaning twords the truggy at this point, but in reality the buggy kinda sounds like something i can take and race anywhere, whereas the truggy might be more difficult to find competition. I just don't know at this point and was hoping to get some opinions on which route would be best suited for me.

I do understand the smaller engine in the buggy doesn't mean its not every bit as quick as its a much lighter chassis.

Honestly right now i'm really leaning twords the buggy, it just feels like a class that will be around for a long time as its been around ever since i started getting into rc's some 20 years ago.

My first rc was an electric buggy from sears, my little brother and i got them for christmas and i wore the tires off that thing. If it hadn't broke and i had no way of getting replacement parts i would probably still have it today. Thats back when the radios were 2 sticks and batteries took an hour to charge on the quick charger .
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well after thinking about it over the weekend i think i'm going to go with the 8ight 2.0 rtr buggy. I already have a monster truck, so this will give me something completely different to race and run. I figure its cheaper to buy and maintain, its lighter and just seems to fly around the tracks i've watched videos on. I may end up going a different route down the road but for now i think this will compliment my collection better than a truggy and get me into a different class of vehicles which will hopefully enhance my feel and control over my other rc's. Thanks for all the input, its much appreciated!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by l3asher
You really do have no idea.
we shall see
Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My two cents (similar to what has already been shared)

Buggy:
+More nimble
-More difficult to drive
+Generally cheaper (tires are cheaper, they are easier on engines, diffs, etc)

Truggy:
+Easiery to drive, more forgiving
-More expensive ($80 for a nice set of tires, you'll need an engine with more torque, better servos to turn it and stop it, etc. You'll also need a few hop ups for that Truggy that you might not need for the buggy...)

I race truggy and love it, but either way you go you're going to have a good time. The Losi package is a good choice to start with.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I started out with truggies as I came from trucks and prefered the look. On rough tracks and rhythm sections, truggies are definitely better as they're less disturbed. And landing awkwardly or offline is more forgiving with a truggy so you can get back on the raceline or get going again sooner. Starting out at the track, truggy was easier to get used to. However, as my driving improves and the more I drive buggy, the more I like it. The response is faster and more agile. Plus, all the tracks around me are pretty smooth aside from some rough sections or rhythm sections, so that makes most of the truggies' advantages useless. I still like the look and size of truggies, but they wear on power systems more, and the cost of wheels/tires adds up quick. I buy most of my buggy tires on the forums and can get 2-3 sets for the price of 1 set of truggy tires! Plus, the buggies are easier to lug around being smaller and lighter. I really like having both so I get to change what I drive throughout the day. Not sure yet what I'd pick if I could only have one.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well i've got a t-maxx that i've put alot of money into. I know it doesn't qualify as a truggy, but with the lowered suspension, wing and other things i've done to it, its pretty darn close. I figure the buggy will be mostly for on track use, no bashing. The t-maxx on the other hand will be for bashing and some on track use. I figure by getting something thats the opposite of the t-maxx i can further expland my skills as an rc driver. Also buggys have been around since the beginning, so i know they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Of course i may need to go to a couple races to check out how many of each class there are and get an idea of which one i'd best compete in, but i still plan on getting a buggy either way.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwm2
Well after thinking about it over the weekend i think i'm going to go with the 8ight 2.0 rtr buggy. I already have a monster truck, so this will give me something completely different to race and run. I figure its cheaper to buy and maintain, its lighter and just seems to fly around the tracks i've watched videos on. I may end up going a different route down the road but for now i think this will compliment my collection better than a truggy and get me into a different class of vehicles which will hopefully enhance my feel and control over my other rc's. Thanks for all the input, its much appreciated!
can't go wrong with Losi..