R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Talking looking for a car

ok so i've done electric and im getting bored with it. im looking into nitro and i was wondering what car you guys would recommend for a beginner. that won't take that much time to work on and will last. thank you also im selling my rustler just search: selling traxxas rustler
Lt. Sarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You plan on racing or bashing?? Buggy, monster truck, ?????

If racing, probably the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR would be the way to go IMO. Everything you need to get on the track in one box, and a competitive buggy as well.

If bashing, the OFNA Ultra LX-1 was a super durable buggy that I had a blast beating the crap out of. Only issue I had was with Diff Ring gears. Get steel ones right away. RTR for about $260-$280.

It all depends what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. LHS parts availability is pretty important to me also. I don't want to miss a race or bashing session because i'm waiting on a $4 part.

happy RC'ing!!!
sdtech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Losi 8T RTR.

Just get a good charger some 2s lipo Rx packs and a pair of 7955 servos and your set.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech58 View Post

If racing, probably the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR would be the way to go IMO. Everything you need to get on the track in one box, and a competitive buggy as well.

If bashing, the OFNA Ultra LX-1 was a super durable buggy that I had a blast beating the crap out of. Only issue I had was with Diff Ring gears. Get steel ones right away. RTR for about $260-$280.

It all depends what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. LHS parts availability is pretty important to me also. I don't want to miss a race or bashing session because i'm waiting on a $4 part.

happy RC'ing!!!
1+ Well said.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if you want to biuld your car i would suggest getting a Hotbodies D8T or D8
these are very easy cars to build and cheap very cheap. but still last for ever.

if you just want to start driving get a losi 8T or 8 RTR. these are great cars and very reliable. very good RTR setups.

both car are good for racing and bashing. building your car will cost a bit more but you learn alot from building the car yourself. well worth it.

(Shameless plug) my whole set up is for sale. 2 cars (hotbodies) spare engine EVERYTHING!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

get a losi rtr
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Losi is very expensive.. Ofna Picco is great if you wanna get in now ... RTR 279.99 with the Jammin Big bore shocks on it ... Thing is heavy yet very stable .. great for the beginner ... When this car holds you back you can get better but it will be awhile ... has a great .21 picco engine ... a real steal for 300 bucks or less

Tim Caputo
Tcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Let me add to what i just said .... If money is no object .. Get a Kit so you can build it ... expensive but fun and you learn soo much like said above
Tcaputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

The Losi rtr will do you right. You do need to swap the servos but the rtr kit comes with everything but fuel so not a bunch of extras to add on. Losi's are easy to work on and there are always parts floating around because there's so many of them.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Sarcasm View Post
ok so i've done electric and im getting bored with it. im looking into nitro and i was wondering what car you guys would recommend for a beginner.
Losi 8ight RTR

Quote:
that won't take that much time to work on and will last.
Never mind. Forget Nitro. They ALL take time to work on, and they ALL wear parts, some more than others.

Quote:
thank you also im selling my rustler just search: selling traxxas rustler
yw
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtech58 View Post

happy RC'ing!!!
a big +2!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Mugen MBX 6

This is the dominate buggy out right now. It is a little pricey but when you get tired of getting beat by one you'll end up with it anyway. They are easy to drive and tough as hell. The M Spec comes factory set-up. go to racemugen.com
MBXSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
Ofna Picco is great if you wanna get in now ... RTR 279.99 with the Jammin Big bore shocks on it ... Thing is heavy yet very stable .. great for the beginner ... When this car holds you back you can get better but it will be awhile ... has a great .21 picco engine ... a real steal for 300 bucks or less

Tim Caputo
I can speak from experience with the OFNA Picco. Its a great buggy that once you get set up to the way you drive you can compete at the club level no problem. Its also been bulletproof... I've broken one thing on it this year really beating on it which is the stock steering servo which i was gunna replace anyways. And that little Picco engine really rips
www.clarkrcpark.com
We are always looking for more racers at the track!
Bengsch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Dude get the Losi 8B or 8T RTR...... It is the best deal out there for a competition level RC. No need to buy something that is not support by many LHS and something that no one at the track will be able to help you with.