Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi / Fioroni clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi / Fioroni clutch problem

Hi guys, I really am hoping someone can help me out here...
I have a Losi 8ight 2.0 B and am atempting to run a Fioroni turbo clutch system but am having a few problems, i have the OT FR 52 flywheel which after a race meeting or two however tight i do the flywheel nut up the flywheel spins on the collet (I have tried various collets) also the back of the flywheel is flat so its allowing dust & debris into the front engine bearing
Am i running the wrong flywheel?? I have been on amain hobbies website & noticed a different flywheel (OT FR 51) which could be the one i need
Any help greatly apreciated guys
Cheers
Steve
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OT52 is the universal set for mugen aso..
OT51 is for Kyosho..

for the OT52 I had to use a losi cone

I think there is a special fioroniset for Losi ?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are only 2 flywheels, you have the correct one. It is possible, although unlikely, you damaged the one you have and regardless of what you do it might not stay tight. Place a shim behind the collet, use a new collet (try the Losi one, if not try a Novarossi collet), and make sure the nut goes on in the right direction. If you look inside the nut, one side has a smooth area just inside. That side goes first.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garen
There are only 2 flywheels, you have the correct one. It is possible, although unlikely, you damaged the one you have and regardless of what you do it might not stay tight. Place a shim behind the collet, use a new collet (try the Losi one, if not try a Novarossi collet), and make sure the nut goes on in the right direction. If you look inside the nut, one side has a smooth area just inside. That side goes first.
+1 on a shim. If you are using the losi collet, you will need a shim behind the collet for sure. If you use a novarossi style collet, you will need to "shorten" it by sanding/filing some material off of the front(small side) of the collet. You can use a dremmel and sanding drum to remove some material. Sand it down a little at a time, and test fit it with the flywheel often. You want to remove enough material that the collet won't protrude through the "collet hole" on the flywheel. In other words, the collet should be flush or a little in from flush to the front face of the flywheel. This will allow the nut to tighten down on the flywheel, and not on the collet.

As for allowing dirt in, every flywheel does. If you're getting dirt through the front bearing, you need a new bearing. This has nothing to do with the flywheel.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I used a losi 10th scale collet with a washer under the collet. I always loctite the nut on, I've had it loosen up several times.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pooldoc
I used a losi 10th scale collet with a washer under the collet. I always loctite the nut on, I've had it loosen up several times.
Yep that works well. Actually the collet that comes with the 8ight clutches are 1/10 scale collets. +1 on loctight. Just a little, but I would never go without it.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 on a shim. If you are using the losi collet, you will need a shim behind the collet for sure. If you use a novarossi style collet, you will need to "shorten" it by sanding/filing some material off of the front(small side) of the collet. You can use a dremmel and sanding drum to remove some material. Sand it down a little at a time, and test fit it with the flywheel often. You want to remove enough material that the collet won't protrude through the "collet hole" on the flywheel. In other words, the collet should be flush or a little in from flush to the front face of the flywheel. This will allow the nut to tighten down on the flywheel, and not on the collet.

As for allowing dirt in, every flywheel does. If you're getting dirt through the front bearing, you need a new bearing. This has nothing to do with the flywheel.
It has everything to do with the flywheel! the Fioroni flywheel i have (OT FR 52) has a flat back to it thus allowing all the debris/dust to the front bearing,
the Fioroni (OT FR 52) has a back to it that encases the bearing & the end of the crank case keeping most if not all the dust/debris out
I have never seen a flywheel with a flat back to it
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by los2
It has everything to do with the flywheel! the Fioroni flywheel i have (OT FR 52) has a flat back to it thus allowing all the debris/dust to the front bearing,
the Fioroni (OT FR 52) has a back to it that encases the bearing & the end of the crank case keeping most if not all the dust/debris out
The flywheel you are speaking of does cover the front of the engine block - but the seal is what keeps out the dust and dirt. Very rarely, if anytime will an engine suck oil from the front bearing back up to the intake - back into the crank - into the back of the block and up into the cylinder. I'm not sure of your engine, but most have a small oil hole in the casting from the front portion if the crank that supplies the oil to the front bearing. If you are sucking dirt into your engine from the front crank bearing - you NEED a new front bearing and quickly to save your engine.

I've had the same problem with the flywheel loosing up. I'm using the Lightweight Air Flow 3 Shoe (The orange vented flywheel) After the last time is loosened up, I took it all apart, installed a larger collet (The nova one) with just the flywheel (The shoes and adjuster off) I installed the flywheel and set the depth to 1mm of space from the front bearing / engine case. The flywheel nut is dome shaped, if some of the tapered collet does come past the flywheel, you can still lock it down. I think .5mm of the collet is protruding the flywheel. I reassembled and all is well. I have a set of new shoes in the mail - and I will be able to give more test results after the 12th as this is a bye race week.

Also - one thing to watch out for is the collet inside diameter. If the collet has loosened up and spun - it's possible the inside diameter could have opened up. I found one that was a fraction taller and the seam a fraction larger before installation.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by los2
First off, FR-52 is not a flywheel it is a shoe set. If you mean FR-51, it is not spaced correctly for a losi buggy. You need to run the FR-50 flywheels on the losi cars. Second off, the flywheel's shape has nothing to do with dirt getting into an engine. It may appear to protect the front of the engine(similar to how the stock losi flywheel looks), but dirt will still make it's way in there. In all honesty, no flywheel will keep dirt out of an engine, and it shouldn't have to. That is the purpose for the seal on your front bearing. If you are getting dirt in your engine, it isn't the flywheel that needs to be changed.