R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
please get a quiet one. few things in life are more annoying than listening to some guys cheap, rattle box generator all day long. dont be "that guy".

+100000

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Honda make the best little generators.

I just use a car battery when I'm at the track. Usually just an Optima. But if i plan on setting up for a whole weekend I'll bring an 8D or 2.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Generators are rated in Watts, not Amps, but you can do an easy calculation. (Volts x Amps = Watt)

- Using a heat gun - usually no less than 2000W, unless it's a VERY small heat gun.
- Running an 12,000 BTU (1 ton) A/C unit, such as found on a trailer - 3000W minimum (4000W is preferrable).
- Air compressor - Motor HP will determine size. 1 HP = 745.69 watts. Figure 2.5 times for start up wattage requirement, and 80% efficiency on the motor. (ex. 1.5 HP compressor motor will require 3495.42 Watts at start up [1.5 x 745.69 x 2.5 / .80 = 3495.2]. In that situation, you'd want to buy a 4000W generator).

In general, you want to size the generator so that, with all the items you plan to run at once, including start up requirements, you don't exceed 80-85% of the rated output of the generator. Running them at full capacity for extended periods will both consume fuel very fast, and also greatly shorten the unit's life expectancy.

Here's a very informative link...worth reading before buying a generator.

EXCELLENT read! thank you. The generator I buy will also be my home backup since I live in Florida.

As for the noise issue that concerns most, I can and will build a quieter muffler for the one I purchase. have done so in the past for other gocart style motors. I do not like the noise myself and find it irritating that those with the noisiest ones set them the furthest from thier pits yet closer to others pits when in reality the ones with the generators should be suffering thier own conviniences themselves.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Coleman Powermate 6500
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattozx6rr View Post
EXCELLENT read! thank you. The generator I buy will also be my home backup since I live in Florida.

As for the noise issue that concerns most, I can and will build a quieter muffler for the one I purchase. have done so in the past for other gocart style motors. I do not like the noise myself and find it irritating that those with the noisiest ones set them the furthest from thier pits yet closer to others pits when in reality the ones with the generators should be suffering thier own conviniences themselves.
Well, here's the rub on just adding a quiet muffler...that only addresses the exhaust noise. There's still a symphony of mechanical "music" that comes from the engine, the generator head, harmonic vibrations through the frame, etc...

To achieve the 60Hz power used in the US, a non-inverter Generator has to run at a constant 3600 RPM (60 cycles per sec X 60 sec). That in itself produces a ton of noise. The more expensive, non-inverter generators generally are designed with full enclosures, and sound deadening materials.

Inverter generators are quieter because they don't have to run at 3600 to achieve 60Hz. They produce straight DC power, which is converted to AC by the inverter module. The RPM is varied as a direct function of the load applied, but the voltage remains constant. This is why they also produce very clean AC power compared to normal gensets, which can have voltage fluctuations as the RPM varies with load, or through the normal ups and downs caused by the mechanical governor system.

So, if you need clean power, such as for running sensitve electronics,you defintely want an inverter style generator. Keep in mind that you may be talking $1000 + for anything over 2000W. If clean power isn't critical, any large generator will perform well, but longevity and noise output will be dicatated by the overall design of the unit, not just the muffer that is attached to it. The cost will be dictated by the quality of the unit.

Incidentally, the reason inverter genset are much more expensive is because of the high current inverter modules...they're generally 60-70% of the total cost of the unit. A 2000W true sine wave inverter costs in the neighborhood of $600 to $800, depending on brand. There are cheaper ones, but they generally produce square wave AC power, which isn't what you want.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Exactly why they are so quiet... and sip fuel, they're running about idle. I've been working with inverters and have found battery chargers don't like the square wave ones. I was impressed by the sine wave from the Hondas... and your right, a 2K watt pure sine wave inverter costs as much as the whole genset.

Whats the sine like on the Kipors?
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Anderson View Post
Exactly why they are so quiet... and sip fuel, they're running about idle. I've been working with inverters and have found battery chargers don't like the square wave ones. I was impressed by the sine wave from the Hondas... and your right, a 2K watt pure sine wave inverter costs as much as the whole genset.

Whats the sine like on the Kipors?
To be honest, I couldn't tell you the exact shape. I mainly deal with the mechanical side of product testing (I leave the high-end electrical stuff to the EE's ). I know enough to be knowledgeable, but not an expert in the field. I did however, have one of the electrical lab techs put it on the scope because I wanted to see if the "clean power" that Kipor was claiming was indeed true.

He said that it looked good, and he'd have no problem running anyof his electronics on it, but I didn't get a print out of the waveform....you've got me thinking about it again though. I'll have to take my unit, and my neighbor's Honda in for comparison.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote