R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: southeastern ohio
Posts: 375
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default RC8 bog bore shock mounting problem

I just ran my first day on my big bores on my RC8. The problem I'm having is that I can't tighten the shocks down on the tower very much. The locknut sinks into the shock cap so far that you can't get ahold of it to get it off. And if you don't tighten it down very much it puts to much strain on the screw.

I'm putting a blue bushing on the inside of the shock cap, and a locknut on the outside. That's how I was told to do it, but it either leaves, what to me seems like to much play like that. Is there a better way to mount them.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
RC-ZOMBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Insane Asylum, Pa
Posts: 1,353
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevofrancis View Post
I just ran my first day on my big bores on my RC8. The problem I'm having is that I can't tighten the shocks down on the tower very much. The locknut sinks into the shock cap so far that you can't get ahold of it to get it off. And if you don't tighten it down very much it puts to much strain on the screw.

I'm putting a blue bushing on the inside of the shock cap, and a locknut on the outside. That's how I was told to do it, but it either leaves, what to me seems like to much play like that. Is there a better way to mount them.
you need the 5.5mm purple handle nut driver from associated it has a thin wall
__________________
Associated~Tekno~Mugen
RC-ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevofrancis View Post
I just ran my first day on my big bores on my RC8. The problem I'm having is that I can't tighten the shocks down on the tower very much. The locknut sinks into the shock cap so far that you can't get ahold of it to get it off. And if you don't tighten it down very much it puts to much strain on the screw.

I'm putting a blue bushing on the inside of the shock cap, and a locknut on the outside. That's how I was told to do it, but it either leaves, what to me seems like to much play like that. Is there a better way to mount them.
I run those shocks on my xb8 and put fuel tubing over the screw. This acts as a spacer so nut will be tight, and the shock will be fastened firmly.
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Shane Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marysville, Oh
Posts: 1,103
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

It does take a very thin walled driver to fit inside the cap. Make sure that the bleeder hole in the cap is facing the tower.
__________________
KYOSHO AMERICA-Novarossi-M2C racing-Competition Heat-Grandview Hobbies-Fastraxx Hobbies-TKO-Clockwork-The Ohio RC Factory
Shane Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
you need the 5.5mm purple handle nut driver from associated it has a thin wall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Racer View Post
It does take a very thin walled driver to fit inside the cap. Make sure that the bleeder hole in the cap is facing the tower.
Thanks for the advice. I modded my current nut driver to fit in the cap.
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
toobad4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 976
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

The Dynamite brand and the ones from Hobby City, both fit with no problems as well. The whole design they used is a little strange to me too, were the nut is almost completely hidden.

Stephen
__________________
Mihabi RC Your Hometown Hobby Shop.
(850) 914-2815
toobad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:35 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net