R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can get up to 9-10 gallons on a B5 without replacing anything
Think about it Italian or Taiwanese it's a no brainer.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin2Win View Post
I have a b5/2013 and love it! 10 min is not real hard to do if you stay semi smooth on the throttle. You can always use a smaller restrictor if needed. Bunch of my buddies run the Alpha's and from what I have seen they dont get but about 3 gallons on them before needing P/S. But they do rip!
Sounds like your buddies are running WAY too lean. Mine has 3 gallons on it now with TONS of pinch left...and runs @ 240ish all day long if I need more power. My typical tune has it running 220 - 235 instead and there is NO lack of power. We have a local running one of Jimmy's old engines that has like 11 gallons on it....just as fast as when it had 2 gallons on it, and 100% original P/S....although I'm not quite sure if he put new bearings in it over the past month as a precaution.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

os,nova, or orion.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
You can get up to 9-10 gallons on a B5 without replacing anything
Think about it Italian or Taiwanese it's a no brainer.
we are getting 9-10 gallons out of our alphas too... its a no brainer, engines these days are made better no matter where they come from unless its OS
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #35
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

this might be irrelevant to some ... However I must say that I am pretty dam impressed with the B5 engine.. As you know I like to modify engines, therefore there are certain mechanical attributes I look for in a engine to begin with and the B5 definitely delivers...

The B5 carburetor is fantastic, it is nicely machined, well insulated, the o-rings are doubled up and are quite tight in the barrels...Not only do they fit well, bur Werk's also uses 2 different o-ring compounds on the needles...It is one of the best sealed carbs I have come across.....What this translates into is that the engine holds a stable tune no matter how hard it is pushed...

The B5 has a very beefy case, the case is heavy and robust, not only does it offer great support, it also offers good thermal stability....Some of the cheaper Taiwanese engines ( not implicating Alpha ) have cases that are very thin and lightweight, which can result in rapid changes in the engines core temperature...which in turn results in swings in the engines tune....If an engine sheds heat too quickly it can become difficult to maintain a stable tune.... same reason the magnesium head offroad engines were trickier to tune.... The B5 is very very beefy, just picking it up you can feel that is a fair bit heavier then its Taiwanese competitors....As as modified I can push the B5 quite far and its able to maintain a stable tune better then almost any other engine I have tested....

stock the B5 is very potent, it has awesome torque...i mean seriously this engine has some balls..more torque then even a Picco 21...However it still manages to trigger very smoothly and get good runtimes....The B5 does carry a good top end as well, its not the highest revving .21 i have run, however it does have a very good overall powerband, its top end is actually quite good, especially when you consider how strong its low end is....

As a modified the B5 is extremely stable and easy to tune, it has buttery smooth power delivery and great trigger modulation... It makes outrageous torque and RPM and still manages to get 10 minute runtime on the 2057...

Personally I think its one hell of a nice engine for $200.00, especially when you consider how robust the engine is built.....

I am not knocking the Alpha, as it is highly praised and obviously a great engine..However I only have first hand experience with the Werk's so that is all I can really comment on at this time.... But for whats it worth I give the Werk's two thumbs up !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Sounds like your buddies are running WAY too lean. Mine has 3 gallons on it now with TONS of pinch left...and runs @ 240ish all day long if I need more power. My typical tune has it running 220 - 235 instead and there is NO lack of power. We have a local running one of Jimmy's old engines that has like 11 gallons on it....just as fast as when it had 2 gallons on it, and 100% original P/S....although I'm not quite sure if he put new bearings in it over the past month as a precaution.
i run mine around 260-280... and its going on 6.5 gallons.. 7 if you count break in..

and has just as much power as it had the first time i started it.. compression is very high also..
Old 06-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
i run mine around 260-280... and its going on 6.5 gallons.. 7 if you count break in..

and has just as much power as it had the first time i started it.. compression is very high also..
Maybe I should run mine a little leaner than....more power is goooooood. lol If I lean it to where it hits 250-260ish it's like a rocketship on 4 wheels (well 2 wheels sometimes!).

You drive a lot more than I do too! We got our engines @ the same time....you have twice as much fuel through it. lol
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
this might be irrelevant to some ... However I must say that I am pretty dam impressed with the B5 engine.. As you know I like to modify engines, therefore there are certain mechanical attributes I look for in a engine to begin with and the B5 definitely delivers...

The B5 carburetor is fantastic, it is nicely machined, well insulated, the o-rings are doubled up and are quite tight in the barrels...Not only do they fit well, bur Werk's also uses 2 different o-ring compounds on the needles...It is one of the best sealed carbs I have come across.....What this translates into is that the engine holds a stable tune no matter how hard it is pushed...

The B5 has a very beefy case, the case is heavy and robust, not only does it offer great support, it also offers good thermal stability....Some of the cheaper Taiwanese engines ( not implicating Alpha ) have cases that are very thin and lightweight, which can result in rapid changes in the engines core temperature...which in turn results in swings in the engines tune....If an engine sheds heat too quickly it can become difficult to maintain a stable tune.... same reason the magnesium head offroad engines were trickier to tune.... The B5 is very very beefy, just picking it up you can feel that is a fair bit heavier then its Taiwanese competitors....As as modified I can push the B5 quite far and its able to maintain a stable tune better then almost any other engine I have tested....

stock the B5 is very potent, it has awesome torque...i mean seriously this engine has some balls..more torque then even a Picco 21...However it still manages to trigger very smoothly and get good runtimes....The B5 does carry a good top end as well, its not the highest revving .21 i have run, however it does have a very good overall powerband, its top end is actually quite good, especially when you consider how strong its low end is....

As a modified the B5 is extremely stable and easy to tune, it has buttery smooth power delivery and great trigger modulation... It makes outrageous torque and RPM and still manages to get 10 minute runtime on the 2057...

Personally I think its one hell of a nice engine for $200.00, especially when you consider how robust the engine is built.....

I am not knocking the Alpha, as it is highly praised and obviously a great engine..However I only have first hand experience with the Werk's so that is all I can really comment on at this time.... But for whats it worth I give the Werk's two thumbs up !
i think i want one, just because
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Maybe I should run mine a little leaner than....more power is goooooood. lol If I lean it to where it hits 250-260ish it's like a rocketship on 4 wheels (well 2 wheels sometimes!).

You drive a lot more than I do too! We got our engines @ the same time....you have twice as much fuel through it. lol
haha, i race 3-4 times a month and practice 2 times a week..

great having a track 5 mins away now!

i raced a 3 races out of a 6 race series with my alpha.
went to vegas with my alpha for silver state.
done a lot of club racing with my alpha.
started another series race with my alpha we are now 2 rounds deep and the 3rd one is 2 weeks away.
and i try to make it to the local track at least twice a week to practice or i will practice friday and race saturday at the same track.