R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to VWVR6_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthesky View Post
i want a smooth engine with great gas mileage, since i have a 2013 pipe already looks like i might be leaning towards the works, the b6 sounds good.
The B6 is only 25.00 more than the B5 on AMAIN if you go in this route, You won't be disappointed.
QUOTE by FLHX1550 "The Werks B5 is kind of a legend"
VWVR6_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
Did you look at the right alpha? because orion makes an alpha series engine and so dose os...
Alpha parts here

have you clocked any Alpha engines yet neal?

I have not done Alpha yet...have run against a few, but not modded any.....Tho I gotta say the B5 is a badass engine..its built extremely well with excelent machining, fit and finish.....Its very strong in stock form, and absolutely fantastic in modded form....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

alpha great engine, lot of power, great run time And Cheap!!!!

2013 pipe alpha website suggests this pipe as it best overall piper to match with the Alpha.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I dont have any experince with the Alpha motor but i do love my B5. Really im sure you'll be happy with either one as both are good motors from what i've heard. if you want some insane power take a look at the Clockworked B5. Maximo can fill you in more on that. That will be my next motor, hopefuly soon.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have not done Alpha yet...have run against a few, but not modded any.....Tho I gotta say the B5 is a badass engine..its built extremely well with excelent machining, fit and finish.....Its very strong in stock form, and absolutely fantastic in modded form....
Maybe I should send you mine Neal...and you can test out some mods ;-) haha
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffy1 View Post
alpha great engine, lot of power, great run time And Cheap!!!!

2013 pipe alpha website suggests this pipe as it best overall piper to match with the Alpha.
I think you are confusing the Orion Alpha with the Alpha brand motors. The Orion uses a 2013 pipe. I can tell you that it isn't a great match with the Alpha. A guy at my track got an Alpha the day I got a B5 to use as a backup to my Orion Alpha. Mine was absolutely trouble free during break in. He had a few small issues (flameouts because his tune was changing).

I bought mine and used it at the last race simply to get it broken in in case something happened to my Orion. I still havent taken it out because I am happy with how it works.
Snopro440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGod View Post
Maybe I should send you mine Neal...and you can test out some mods ;-) haha

I would be glad to mod and test an Alpha....I usually do not modify used engines, but if we can add some dyno testing to the mix I don't mind a broken in engine to start with.... However as a general rule I am extremely leery of modding a used engine.....If you guys wanna see real hard numbers on the Alpha's power output i would be glad to dyno test it.....
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
I think you are confusing the Orion Alpha with the Alpha brand motors. The Orion uses a 2013 pipe. I can tell you that it isn't a great match with the Alpha. A guy at my track got an Alpha the day I got a B5 to use as a backup to my Orion Alpha. Mine was absolutely trouble free during break in. He had a few small issues (flameouts because his tune was changing).

I bought mine and used it at the last race simply to get it broken in in case something happened to my Orion. I still havent taken it out because I am happy with how it works.
yeah once they break in they go crazy rich, you just lean and lean and lean them out. mine broke in last weekend during the main and came off the track at 160.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinthesky View Post
just blew the botom end on my vspec (1.5 gallons), so i'm looking at these 2alpha red f850 vs werks 5b. i have a sirio 2013 pipe, re11 pipe , and extech 2042 (big boy) pipe. wich engine is better, smoothness of power delivery, longevity, run time, and all out top end. also wich pipe engine combinations are the best.
Either engine will serve you very well as long as it's broken in properly and maintained. (Especially air filters and fresh fuel)

I'm not saying that Werks won't take care of you in any situation. But I can tell you from our stand point being the North American Service Center for Alpha as well as a dealer you have without a doubt we are here if you have any problems.

Others here will attest that we have helped 100's of Alpha owners with tuning, break in and service parts since October of last year.

Service parts are very inexpensive but not really needed for several gallons.

Here is our break in proceedure:

http://www.trackstarrc.com/trackstar...d=63&Itemid=89

Also we have not only the F850 in stock but also the recommended pipe. (A Plus 0801)

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Jimmy speaks the truth....he supports the engines after the sale without issue at all. I have sent him dumb questions and always get an answer quickly from him....he knows these engines inside and out for sure. He is even sending me a carb O-Ring kit when they come in since my O-Rings went bad.

A few of his "old" Alpha Plus engines are run by locals at the club I race with...and these engines have had some fuel through them, but when they pass you on the track...you would never guess that you just got passed by a 10+ gallon (give or take) engine ;-)

I love my Alpha Orange Head in my Truggy...so mush so that I will be buying a Green Head and going back to Nitro in my Buggy. I had the debate going whether or not to buy a B5 or an Alpha...and I'm glad I chose Alpha. The B5s rip as well...so I'm sure if I had chosen the Werks....I'd be praising that one instead, but this Alpha has surpassed what I expected in a $200 mill 10 fold already.....I'm glad I took the chance at the start of the season!
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I would be glad to mod and test an Alpha....I usually do not modify used engines, but if we can add some dyno testing to the mix I don't mind a broken in engine to start with.... However as a general rule I am extremely leery of modding a used engine.....If you guys wanna see real hard numbers on the Alpha's power output i would be glad to dyno test it.....
Neal, i make take you up on that offer..

i have an F850 sitting here, that has just been broken in 1gal of fuel and one qualifier on it..
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
Neal, i make take you up on that offer..

i have an F850 sitting here, that has just been broken in 1gal of fuel and one qualifier on it..
Which is the big power/fastest Alpha ?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Big Torque is the Orange Head (S852), Big RPM/Top End engine is the Green Head(Z852) and the one in the middle of those 2 is the Red Head (F850).
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 265 (100%+)
Default .

Hey if you do go with the Werks B5 or B6... Ron has a Werks Thread he can help you out with any question you have.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ng-engine.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ng-engine.html
guss2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have a b5/2013 and love it! 10 min is not real hard to do if you stay semi smooth on the throttle. You can always use a smaller restrictor if needed. Bunch of my buddies run the Alpha's and from what I have seen they dont get but about 3 gallons on them before needing P/S. But they do rip!

EPRC-Wichita KS|EPRC.club@gmail.com| www.emeryparkrc.com

Last edited by Pin2Win; 06-01-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Cant spell!! lol
Pin2Win is offline   Reply With Quote