R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 65 (97%+)
Default shock oil as diff oil

has anyone tryed like a 40 50 or 60 wieght shock oil to fill diffs is it possible to do would it be bad or better than a grease filled diff
newuserlosi8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserlosi8t View Post
has anyone tryed like a 40 50 or 60 wieght shock oil to fill diffs is it possible to do would it be bad or better than a grease filled diff
They are both silicone so it's the same thing except 40 or whatever is WAY too thin for most applications.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Tech Elite

i have 60 wieght just a pain to get to the hobby shop and looking to use what i have tilll then
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It would be similar to filling your diffs with water. Shock fluid is not meant to be used at the same viscosity as diff fluid. Your gears would just fling it off and it would serve no purpose. It would also mote than likely cause your gears to grind and strip. Don't run your car until you can get the proper fluid. A $2 bottle of diff fluid now or a $50 diff later?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

where can you get diff fluid for 2$??? Please, point me in the right direction! Even the cheaper ofna oil is still almost 10$

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

i havnt yet was just wondering if u could
Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
where can you get diff fluid for 2$??? Please, point me in the right direction! Even the cheaper ofna oil is still almost 10$
associated diff fluid is no more than $4 depending on where you buy it. Most places it's $2.99. Go race Marcus and get back on the team if you would really like to start saving some money. We have a complete on line store now, and team members save allot
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
ae is 5 bucks, which i like. i cant notice a difference between that and losi other then losi is half the fluid of ALMOST double the price

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
associated diff fluid is no more than $4 depending on where you buy it. Most places it's $2.99. Go race Marcus and get back on the team if you would really like to start saving some money. We have a complete on line store now, and team members save allot
I have been racing. But only in sportsman. I am not good enough for the experts. Heck i place in the middle of sportsman.

And i use ae shock oil and it's just fine. Will definitley look into the diff oil. Thanks for the tip.

Mugen
Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Dreux, the team is mostly sportsman drivers. As long as you race you can join but it's not for everyone so just have fun and be well
Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Avoid the Ofna oils!
Stick with the AE fluids.

As for the original post: Silicone diff fluid is really piss poor at lubericating the gears, active diff ramps, diff out drives, orings etc. It ain't gear oil. Dropping to a thin silicone fuid that is easy for your gears to fling off will ccause your spider geaars to seize to the cross pins the first time you gun it to get off the pipe and "diff out".

Boom.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Avoid the Ofna oils!
Stick with the AE fluids.

As for the original post: Silicone diff fluid is really piss poor at lubericating the gears, active diff ramps, diff out drives, orings etc. It ain't gear oil. Dropping to a thin silicone fuid that is easy for your gears to fling off will ccause your spider geaars to seize to the cross pins the first time you gun it to get off the pipe and "diff out".

Boom.
crap dude. I posted a thread on ofna diff oils before i filled them up and i got no answers. I guess i should change them out asap right? car ran great for most of my last race. Still have a mid corner push but i am sure that is a tire thing and nothing more. Going back to calibers. Lots of success with that tire. More so then the city block.

and jazz, thank you for everything that you have done since i have been here. But you made be right, my racing life right now consist of 1 or 2 races a month and i am getting married in 6 weeks. THe good thing is, my soon to be wife told me i can get a mbx 6t as a wedding present

Mugen