R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9 View Post
so you mostly go by smoke and sound right?

Also, about the smoke, is that for the HSN setting ONLY? Or can the LSN have a real effect on the smoke?
pretty much go by smoke and sound but use a temp gun to do fine tweaks. and the smoke and sound will work for both, its very helpful for LSN settings. HSN is usually a little easier with temp gun, but i use both but more so with smoke and sound.
jmaxey51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Quote:
yes, I have a rubber band and a spring for return. It goes fully closed when servo returns to neutral on its own

and the "too lean" bog I hear people talk about, does that happen when your in upper RPMs driving and try to WOT real fast and it bogs down, maybe even cutting off? Bc earlier when I was out test-tuning I had this issue. Morely I was having trouble with the bog from take off. Like stop and let sit for a couple seconds an then try and take off and I got a bog then it would slowly take off. Its not too bad now but like I say in mid air its revving way high, but not when sitting in the box. I think my reason for my "too lean bog" was that I was getting low temps (190-210) so I kept leaning the HSN, BUT, I use the Spektrum telemetry and I think I had the probe too high on the head. where should I stick probe on head?
A lean HSN will make it bog or even shut off at high rpm's . A bog when giving full throttle from stop is usually a lean LSN . Sounds like you are getting close on tune but as my dad says , if you are going to be off on the tune it's better to be rich than lean .
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #63
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yep, thats exactly what it was doing. I had the HSN too lean then. So my temp sensor was off a good bit. I drove it around alot too, burnt out probably 4 tanks and still getting low temps.

looking at getting a gun now. what do you guys think about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Henkel-Duck-Home...item45f3060afa
HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
jeff_ellis_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
yep, thats exactly what it was doing. I had the HSN too lean then. So my temp sensor was off a good bit. I drove it around alot too, burnt out probably 4 tanks and still getting low temps.

looking at getting a gun now. what do you guys think about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Henkel-Duck-Home...item45f3060afa
dont get it, it looks cheap. i like the odonnell one, i keep using peoples OD one and not mine but mine cost like 20 bucks and im not sure about the OD one.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #65
Tech Regular

Honestly Jeff, you're better off tuning without the temp gun, you will be a better tuner without it. I can tell you I burnt up a few engines in my early days by tuning by temp. Think about this, we all make an automatic assumption that the temp gun or probe is 100% accurate but we don't really have any way to test it to know for sure. Your eyes and ears won't fail you, they will serve you far better that any temp gun could.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Quote:
so you mostly go by smoke and sound right?

Also, about the smoke, is that for the HSN setting ONLY? Or can the LSN have a real effect on the smoke?
Yes the low speed needle can have an effect on the smoke trail if it's set too rich and can cause you to set your HSN too lean. When you take off with an idle mixture thats too rich the engine gets supplied by the excess fuel and you have a good smoke trail to start with so you think the HSN is tuned right. What ends up happening is the engine keeps getting hotter and hotter during your run because of the lean HSN you didn't know you had.

Go to this link, it's the tuning guide at the top of this forum and read through the guide it will help you like nothing else.....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ing-bible.html

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #67
Tech Regular

I got it! The LSN was wayyyy rich. Leaned it, and richened the HSN and everything is running superb! I did have to mess with idle a little. I drove the buggy around the yard, filled it up and timed it and got 8:48 min on a tank. But that was driving in the yard with alot of high speed runs. Like when I would make a turn and give it alot of gas, I can see blue smoke leaving a trail, and I see pretty consistent blue smoke when WOT. Its not bogging anymore at all.

Thanks so much you guys for helping me with this! And special thanks to jmaxey51 for a awesome motor!!

Just one last question. So obviously while I was driving my tune was good. I understand that tune can change day by day concerning location and weather. SO, with my tune set where it is now, how much tuning should I have to do on another day (race day)? Also, to add to that, what needles should I focus on when re-tuning next time? Thanks

HiTec
Spektrum DX3S
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

as long as it doesnt bog when throttle is first applied during practice! then the hsn is going to be the main adjustment on race day!
RcRenew.com and TritonRc.com~Lucky7~Eazyrc.com
Venom-Group~Upgrade-Rc and TrackstarRc.com
deadmancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #69
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You won't have to tune it much , usually not more than 2 or 3 hours . The most tuning has to be done with drastic temp . or humidity changes . Glad you got it sorted out . BTW i am maxeys dad & we have been told by a few people that engine is one of the fastest bf 's they have seen . Hope it makes a great engine for you .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #70
Tech Elite

is this your motor?
http://www.novarossi.com/eng/product...1BF&brand=nova
cause if it is this motor is great!....i have this motor in my 1.0 truggy and it pulls like a tractor!...anyways i was told with the 3-port engines you can put a plus 4 crank in it as a direct fit!....imagine how funny it would be to see someones face when your basic looking nova passes up a nice $300 engine
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmancourt View Post
is this your motor?
http://www.novarossi.com/eng/product...1BF&brand=nova
cause if it is this motor is great!....i have this motor in my 1.0 truggy and it pulls like a tractor!...anyways i was told with the 3-port engines you can put a plus 4 crank in it as a direct fit!....imagine how funny it would be to see someones face when your basic looking nova passes up a nice $300 engine
yes thats the engine. and i ran it in my truggy for one race and it was keeping up with a modded JS racing engine. 500+ dollar engine the guy said and i laughed and said you know my engine is a stock 150 buck engine and i kept up with you down the straights, right? i loved that engine even though i only raced it once before switching to Alpha engines due to sponsorship.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey51 View Post
yes thats the engine. and i ran it in my truggy for one race and it was keeping up with a modded JS racing engine. 500+ dollar engine the guy said and i laughed and said you know my engine is a stock 150 buck engine and i kept up with you down the straights, right? i loved that engine even though i only raced it once before switching to Alpha engines due to sponsorship.
me too!

yeah right i wish....how do you guys get started on sponsorships!..i know its high hopes for engine or chassis sponsor but i know there is more than that?...me and a friend have been really into racing for the past year!...we got a couple good finishes, but we did some races in the rcproseries and i got 5th in the Amain for open truggy! and i could of done better but my tires were blown out! and thats all i had with me
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmancourt View Post
me too!

yeah right i wish....how do you guys get started on sponsorships!..i know its high hopes for engine or chassis sponsor but i know there is more than that?...me and a friend have been really into racing for the past year!...we got a couple good finishes, but we did some races in the rcproseries and i got 5th in the Amain for open truggy! and i could of done better but my tires were blown out! and thats all i had with me
resume and good results. and pretty much getting hooked up with the right people at the right time.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #74
Tech Elite

i run in cali @ the same local tracks as truhe,drake,cavelleri,and more so its hard to be noticed unless you beat them!lol damn it
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #75
Tech Regular

Ok.

deadman, thats the one!

HiTec
Spektrum DX3S