had a runaway, now what? >

had a runaway, now what?

Like Tree6Likes

had a runaway, now what?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default compression

How does the motor feel when turning over by hand with plug installed. Is there still nice compression when cold? If so then you probably just need a new rod.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Sounds like a new sleeve and piston set to me. When I bought my SC8 used the reciever had a glitch and the truck ran on me like 3-4 times. I'm guessing with the heat and stress of those extended WOT's it caused the rear bearing to destroy itself.

Id say replace the internals because then its like having a brand new motor anyway!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can turn it over by hand. its semi hard to turn over. the turnover feel by hand feels the same way it did when i bought it.

but i was told the novarossi motors have a more looser feel, like not as tight
Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Had a runaway recently myself....

Got my P/S back from Ray and was breaking it in.

Throttle servo died at wide open...just my luck.

Now, I don't know that a Speed can spin to 60 grand...but I'll assure you it was close.

By the time I got to it and yanked the air cleaner...total scrap.

Rod journal was worn down .010, if that gives you an idea of how bad this was.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
^ I bought it from the guy that just replied, Jmaxey. But it ran fine when I first got it going. And I can tell by looking at the motor that it hasn't been used much.

But, keep in mind guys, I haven't had the motor running long at all to really get the temps up and get the tune exactly right. Im just telling you the problems I encountered after my run-away, BUT, could have just timed right that my tune was off.

Also, I forgot to mention, the fuel I was using I have had since about Sept last year.

hdcruzer, how can I check the play you are talking about?

oh and tried new plug
you need new fuel!! that might have messed it up more than anything. and the NOVA BF engines after break-in you usually can turn them over by hand. i have a modded one too and after a quart- 2 quarts of fuel you could turn it over by hand too. same with Vspecs, Alphas and almost every engine i have owned except for picco based engines.

but i think its your plug and fuel. i had a run away yesterday too and the glow plug is fried. every run away i have seen, the glow plug is fried unless its stopped almost immediately. the fuel is probably part of the tuning issue too.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
but i think its your plug and fuel. i had a run away yesterday too and the glow plug is fried. every run away i have seen, the glow plug is fried unless its stopped almost immediately. the fuel is probably part of the tuning issue too.
I agree!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Yep its your fuel. i was having that same problem your describing i had my fuel sitting for a year went out bought new fuel and my engine ran like a charm.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if your looking for parts or someone to check your engine give mark at powerhouse mods a call great guy and awesome customer serevice as far as your bad fuel end all your fuel problems by giving ron at cold fusion a call hands down the best fuel you will ever run
Old 05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Ok. I have already bought new fuel, but didn't get a chance to use it, or even open it due to my problems. And I guess I was just trying to finish off the old fuel. But I will try the new fuel. I have to wait on a new servo and Rx battery so please guys keep an eye on this thread when it pops back up. I will reply back to this same thread with results of new fuel.

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hdcruzer
I really doubt if its you connecting rod. Thats a easy check, if it has little or no play its fine. More than likly that motor had a lot more than a gallon of fuel through it. Did you buy it from somebody you know, or was it just word of mouth? My guess is the sleeve is gone. Have it resized and you should be good to go for a few more gallons.
One, you have to mic the length of the con rod to check it, pm Houston on here, he is the resident Nova expert. He could tell you the specs for your rod.

Two, If the engine was running fine before the runaway, then it's damage from the runaway that's causing your problem, not old fuel.

Just check things over first before you do anything that way you know what you have to do.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I can tell you this i would keep an Eye on that Rod i have see a lot of motors Brake a Rod after some one had a runaway it put's a TON of stress on the Rod so keep and Eye on it and make sure it don't get any Slop in it and if it dose CHANGE it.

And like another Member said if you need some one to look at it send it to Mark at Powerhouse he is a GREAT guy and can sale you the Rod and put it in and get it Fixed Right up for you.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
make sure it don't get any Slop in it and if it dose CHANGE it.
how do I check?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
how do I check?
Take your Back Plate off with the Piston at TDC and look to see if your Rod Moves a lot on the Crank Pin by moving the Fly wheel and looking at the Rod and Crank Pin if you have a Lot of Slop you need a new Rod.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

nope, no slop. everything moves and moves smooth and snug appears to me
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

its fine, i bet the tune is way off, and needs a plug and new fuel. i know one thing the bottom was rich when i gave it to you, i ran it rich because i didnt want to harm it because it still wasn't completely broken in and all. a new plug and new fuel and then re-tune it and you should be good.

the piston didnt turn blackish did it? you can look in the exhaust port and see, it shouldnt be any shade other than silver. i know when i sold it to you it looked like new.... also did you take the glow plug off before you ran it to get the after run oil out? if you forgot then the glow plug is def gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.