Wiki Posts
Search

Carb Restrictors

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Carb Restrictors

I went out to the local track for the first time and thought I would do okay but much to my surprise I was pretty bad My Werks B5 came with a 7mm carb restrictor and I currently don't have it in but after my first time on the track I'm thinking I should put it in to tame the car down. I'm assuming the whole point in these restrictors are to mellow out the engine for the type of track you are running on is this correct? Thanks for the help!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It tames it down and helps with fuel mileage as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by engr673
I went out to the local track for the first time and thought I would do okay but much to my surprise I was pretty bad My Werks B5 came with a 7mm carb restrictor and I currently don't have it in but after my first time on the track I'm thinking I should put it in to tame the car down. I'm assuming the whole point in these restrictors are to mellow out the engine for the type of track you are running on is this correct? Thanks for the help!
Restrictors do several things. Going smaller will tame down the power a bit, making it much more driveable. Often improves low-end throttle response, giving the motor a more crisp feel. Reduces loading up during extended periods of part throttle driving.

Most importantly, reduces fuel consumption.

Yes, put the restrictor back in.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the quick replies!! I'm assuming that I will have to re-tune due to less air entering the engine which would make it run a little richer on both HS and LS and finally adjust the idle?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by engr673
Thanks for the quick replies!! I'm assuming that I will have to re-tune due to less air entering the engine which would make it run a little richer on both HS and LS and finally adjust the idle?
It usually doesn't effect the LSN or idle much, maybe just the slightest of tweaks. It will just run a little rich at first, gradually lean the top until she starts singing again.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Smaller restrictors will also reduce the peak RPM's...which is typically a good thing if you are trying to increase drive-ability.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
It usually doesn't effect the LSN or idle much, maybe just the slightest of tweaks. It will just run a little rich at first, gradually lean the top until she starts singing again.
Will do thanks!!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i never played with restrictors until recently.

what a different motor. i threw in a 8mm from not having anything, and i wanna say my run time almost doubled! my .28 used to be a gas hog! now when i come back for a splash of fuel, i can see about 40% left in the tank.. what a huge difference!

i was getting 10 mins before on a tank, im curious to see what im going to get with the 8mm. also, throttle seams alot smoother.. still decent power.. but not break the tires loose and scream.. so i can see driveablity only getting better.