R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i hate having so many choices.... you get different opinions from everyone lol!
badass_savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass_savage View Post
yea i got some thinking to do. im still taking suggestions tho $250 is my max for a engine at this time. im not a full out hardcore racer so i cant justify spending more then that on a engine.
is that $250 just for an engine, or for an engine and a pipe?
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #33
Tech Addict

engine. it would be great if i can get both for that. im starting to look at the jammin atm but it seems my mind changes every 5 mins...
Old 05-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
i hate having so many choices.... you get different opinions from everyone lol!
Just go with what will make you happy. I mean the go is a nice motor, the werks is nice but do you wanna spend that extra money.
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #35
Tech Addict

im actually really thinking about the jammin. its a proven platform considering its a picco... ill sleep on it and get some opinions from the guys at the track tomorrow and make the order tomorrow night.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just ran across this thread and decided to take a look because I'm always interested to hear what people are considering. Let me give you my opinion on engines. First as a new user you are probably going to need some help, so when you do buy an engine make sure that you either pick up one that you can easily get help from people locally (i.e. it is a popular engine in your area) or you can easily get support from users/the company on-line or directly. Having some one be it at the track or simply on-line to help you work through issues is worth more than saving a few bucks. Trust me on this as any person that has been new to this hobby can attest there is nothing worse that trying to figure out how to get these engines to run on your own lol!

Secondly when you pick up an engine get the best engine that fits in your price segment. And what I mean by this is both from a performance stand point as well as from a quality stand point. And by that I would highly recommend that you choose an engine either constructed in Italy or in Japan. While many will sit here and tell you that the Taiwanese engines are just as good as the European ones etc. etc. I've had a lot of engines in my hands over the years and frankly I don't believe so and that's why I do not make my own engines there.

Third, no matter what brand you decide to pick up make sure that the importer situation with that brand is stable. Meaning you want to go with a n engine that you know the company that imports it will be around to help you with issues, that will be able to supply you with parts if you need them etc. Stay away from brands that have had a lot of turn over in importers, it is just a nightmare waiting to happen.

And finally there are a ton of really good engines from reputable manufacturers on the market today at price points that we could only dream of a few years ago, personally I think this is the best time ever to be getting into nitro just because of this! My personal suggestion to you would be to take a look at OS, Novarossi (you might want to consider going through Houston on here as he takes awesome care of his customers), Orion our our engines. All of us have been here for a while, make solid products (made in either Italy or Japan) with good records, have the ability to support you and are companies that you can pretty much rest assured will be stable as far as representation is concerned. Hope this helps a bit!

Regards,

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

badass_savage

I know this isn't an easy choice. But let me say for 200 bucks you will be hard pressed to find a better engine than the Werks B5. If you want to match performance and quality then you will need to spend 350-and up on some of these other motors. Ron just wrote you and made mention of alot of great motors. I myself have an 2 Orion MTE engines and they are awesome. Keep in mind that I spent 350+ a peice on these mills. Now I also have 2 B5's and just bought the new Werks B6. If I had done my home work alittle more I would not own the 2 Orion engines. Why? Ask any B5 owner and they will tell you because these engine flat out run. The quality is there and you can talk to the owner directly right here on RC Tech if you have any questions at all. You can find him alot on the B5 topic forum but I have a feeling he will be spending quite abit of time on the B6 forum now as well.LOL The thing is he will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy. I will suggest that if you go with a werks engine that you go with the B5 because it has more grunt down low than the B6. Not that the B6 wouldn't do it and probably do it well but the B6 was designed with the buggy in mind and Ron will tell you that. This is my 2 cents and no I am not sponsored by Werks and have nothing to gain from what I have just said. I wish you luck and you will find alot of great people in these forums always willing to help if you should ever need it.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #38
Tech Master

http://clockworkracingengines.com/co...lockwork-jl-21

Get that. If you get that than ill sell you my jp2 with about 1/2 gallons on it. That right there will tear the b5 to shreads. That will eat up the mg66 it will eat it all. That is such a great little engine. Its modded has a hand fitted piston/sleeve so you let is sit for one tank than you run 2 easy tanks and your engine is broken in and you dont have to wait 2 gallons for your engine to wake up.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
http://clockworkracingengines.com/co...lockwork-jl-21

Get that. If you get that than ill sell you my jp2 with about 1/2 gallons on it. That right there will tear the b5 to shreads. That will eat up the mg66 it will eat it all. That is such a great little engine. Its modded has a hand fitted piston/sleeve so you let is sit for one tank than you run 2 easy tanks and your engine is broken in and you dont have to wait 2 gallons for your engine to wake up.

And that right there is exactly the wrong kind of advise to give to some one that is just getting back into the swing of nitro! Pick up a low cost, high quality engine from any of the manufacturers that I recomended and you will be set! If you want to go nuts and pick up a modified engine (which I'm definately not recommending for some one just getting back into this) then Niel at clockworks can also provide you with a clockworked B5 if you'd like. You can see the dyno charts of on this forum and it will contrary to RC Dude is saying, absolutely tear up any JL engine on the planet, modified or not!

Again the best bet for you is to pick up something like an OS VSPEC, Orion Alpha, Nova P5 or our B5. Ultimately what engine you choose is completely up to you but my primary interest is making sure that you have a good experience and are happy so that you stay in this hobby, not just trying to sell one more engine which is why I'm recomending good solid motors from various manufacturers not just my own like some of these posts seem to be pushing you towards. In any case good luck with your decision no matter which way you go and happy motoring!

Regards,

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey
Alpha all the way

i run a .21 7 port (green head) in my D8T and it goes great.

good pik up, good on fuel and still beats the mugens down the back straight.

Alpha Alpha Alpha Alpha
Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #41
Tech Addict

i appreciate everyone's help. i have some experince with the jammin/picco and alot of my buddy's do aswel so im going to go ahead and purchase that one considering they are well built and last a long time.
i just want to make sure i enjoy the nitro etc before i spend a huge amount of money on a motor. ill definitely start looking into the werks motor's, i just have no experience with them nor do i know anyone that run them but ill start looking around the track to see if there are in fact some people running them.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
i appreciate everyone's help. i have some experince with the jammin/picco and alot of my buddy's do aswel so im going to go ahead and purchase that one considering they are well built and last a long time.
i just want to make sure i enjoy the nitro etc before i spend a huge amount of money on a motor. ill definitely start looking into the werks motor's, i just have no experience with them nor do i know anyone that run them but ill start looking around the track to see if there are in fact some people running them.
the jammin jpx .21? Thats a good choice. Try and find a good cheap jp2/jp3 to run with and the motor will work like a charm. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I ran a jammin engine for a little while before k blew it up. It was a very strong engine but I don't think they last very long. If that's what you want then that's what I would get buti do like the werks engines the b5 pushes a truggy around like it's nothing and this new b6 should really impress. Either way I dontsee how you can go wrong. I personally like os engines but they cost a little more $$
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do yourself a favor and listen to Ron
Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE View Post
Do yourself a favor and listen to Ron
Yep I did and i'm very happy!
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote