Wiki Posts
Search

help w/washing my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? help w/washing my car

just wondering how most people wash their rides after a muddy track. I've seen people spray their cars completly down with simple green and then just blow dry don't know if it works never tried it, just wanted some suggestions on how to wash. thanks...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

I normally blow the car off then spray simple green and wd-40 on the car then blow it off again. For the motor I spray it with brake cleanor and blow it off with a air compressor.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I pull out the motor, fuel tank and radio tray. Blast the chassis with air, spray with simple green, scrub with with a tooth brush, spray more simple green and then blast it with air again. Same goes for the fuel tank, radio tray and motor. After everything is clean I spray it with Kal-Gard Prep and Shine and call it good. The Kal-Gard makes dirt come off really easy, if it's a dry day, just compressed air can make your rig look new again.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Or if you want to skip the lolly gagging around, pull the motor/pipe and the radio tray, go to your favorite car wash, blast the dirty hoe. Simple and you don't have to get everything else dirty.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

I do the simple green cleaning. I used to spray WD-40 on it afterwards but I noticed that after about 3 races the a-arms would start to sag. Now that I have stopped using WD-40 the a-arms stay straight a lot longer. I do oil the bearings after cleaning just in case I got water in them.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheFcuddy
I pull out the motor, fuel tank and radio tray. Blast the chassis with air, spray with simple green, scrub with with a tooth brush, spray more simple green and then blast it with air again. Same goes for the fuel tank, radio tray and motor. After everything is clean I spray it with Kal-Gard Prep and Shine and call it good. The Kal-Gard makes dirt come off really easy, if it's a dry day, just compressed air can make your rig look new again.
I do the same unless its really muddy (08 worlds) Then I simple green and hose it. Then finish up with Kalguard 30 30 on the bearings and after all dry the prep and shine.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i pull of the motor and pipe and radiotray, then i take off the wheels and wing, then i put the hose on it and use oddonel cleaner that pink bottle or simple green and i scrub it then i hose it off again. then i blow it off completly dry then i spray wd 40 on the front and rear of the care then i blow that off
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

cool thanks guys... how often do you clean or replace your air filters, my outer filter gets badly dirty after just one weekend, i have cleaned it twice and haven't cleaned the inner filter yet is that ok. thanks....
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Your kidding, right?
If I'm bashing, i change airfilter when performance notacibly drops. Usually in 2-3 hours. Bashing (for me) involves a lot of talking, and runs where no-one else is feeding me a dustcloud, so the airfilters last bit longer. If i'm at a track, i change airfilters as soon as i see a performance drop. I simply compare how i do, and keep doing compared to others on the track. If someone i used to pull away from at the straights catch up on the straights, then it's time to swap.
And, on a track, i never run the same airfilter for more then an hour.

I swap inner and outer foam at the same time, always. I only use filter oil on the inner foam, i know some people only use it on the outer, and others on both, but i don't see how they motivate it. Dry outside lets the heavy stuff fall of again.
Something i do to keep cost at bay, which usually isn't recommended, is that i clean the filter elements and reuse them. I soak inner and outer foams separately in biodegradable degreaser, and wash a bunch at the same time, in a washing machine, never mixing inner and outer foams. By using different airfilter oils i keep track of how many times the inner foams have been reused (different colors) and usually discard them after 3-5 washes. At this point the foam elements have visually changed shape, and i no longer trust them. Outer foams are thrown away as they stretch and doesn't fit tight to the assembly.
But as i said. Most don't recommend washing and reusing for the simple reason you never know if it's actually clean enough to be safe. Your trying to protect the engine from filth, and washing spreads the filth in all of the water, so you have to wash over and over until you feel secure that nothing is left. If your wrong you may almost as well run without a airfilter... Ok, exaggeration, but you night end up regretting reusing...

I never use washed elements on my more valued engines, they are reserved for more expendable mills.
B!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I change my filter after each race sometimes during a race if the filter get really dirty. I consider it as a consumable their cheap and since my motors cost a pretty penny I dont take any chances.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I pull the electronics out, remove the air filter, cap the carb and exhaust tip and then to the spray booth we go. soak it down with simple green let it set for a minute and the pressure wash it completely motor and all. after the wash it gets a blow dry then wd40 on the axles and cups then another blow dry and its done. Truggy always looks new.

As for the air cleaner, I dont mess around they get changed after every race weekend(inner and outer) sometimes during the weekend and both oiled. Old ones get filed in the circular file. motors are too expensive to take a chance with an used 50 cent foam. throw the damn thing away!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

lets see i use whatever on sale at walmart, autozone etc..like simple green, castro super clean, orange cleaner, oxy.$...t dont work and even tried zip wax but either one i add denature alcohol, pull engine & radio tray off spray it and brush the use air hose then wd-40

do you guys remember the thread where some of the guys using there dishwasher?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been using Simple Green Heavy-Duty Pressure Washer Cleaner. $16 jug of concentrate makes 40 litres, I just refill an old spray bottle. Spray it on, wait a minute or two and off with the air compressor. I use old toothbrushes to work off the stubborn stuff. Works good for me and a little cheaper than buying it one bottle at a time.