R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Interested in getting into the hobby

Hello. I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to educate myself on what I should be looking for in my first RC vehicle. I think I have an idea of what I want, so on to my obligatory "what should I buy" question.

I'm interested in a couple of different paths, actually - road racing (primarily F1/Indy or LeMans cars) and baja or rally trucks/buggies. While my wife is a wonderful woman with a high level of patience where my various hobbies are concerned, even she has her limits. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate on the off-road stuff for now.

As far as what I want goes, here is what I've settled on thus far:
  • I want to go nitro. I know, plenty will tell me that it's a lot of hassle, and that electric actually tops out at higher speeds, but the fact of the matter is, I enjoy the mechanical or tinkering part of pretty much any hobby. I like the idea of dealing with an actual internal combustion motor and all the quirks that go along with it. Also, I'm not really interested in top speed. I'm more interested in making it around dirt tracks, through banks and hairpin turns, and over table tops and multi-jumps with an acceptable degree of handling and accelleration without someone having to run out and flip it back onto its wheels every 10 seconds. I'm mechanically inclined and very confident I will be fine cutting my RC teeth on nitro.
  • 1/10 scale looks to be the way to go for me. I wouldn't mind going bigger, but it looks like cost really spikes once you get to 1/8 and larger. Plus, 1/10 appears to be a more common size, and if I ever decide to actually enter a race with this thing, I'd like to have options and opportunities.
  • I think I'd prefer a roto-start starting system, though pull start isn't out of the question. Aside from the bad experiences I've had in the past with chainsaws and lawn mowers pull-starting, a roto-start just feels more "racey" or akin to a "pit crew-ish" activity. Hey, I never claimed to have all my marbles. That's just the way it strikes me, and, well, it *is* my 100's of dollars, and I may as well get what I want, right? Still, I'm completely open to advice on why I might be better off with a pull start.
  • I have no idea what to look for in a controller (radio? should I be calling it that?). Should I even be concerned with it at this point? I will likely start with a RTR, so I'm guessing I'll just settle for what comes in the box for now. Are some RTR controllers better than others?
  • I'm probably looking at dumping somewhere between $200 to $300 into my first car/truck/buggy to get started in the hobby, though for the right deal, I think I could manage enough shoulder massages to get the missus to let me push it a bit beyond that. I really don't see anything above $400 in the realm of possibility, though. Hey, I'm a realist.
  • I want something that has really good part (mfr as well as after-market) support. There's no telling what I'm going to want to hop-up on this thing, once I gain a better understanding what what I'm doing, and I'd like to have a lot of options. I know my LHS carries stock parts and hop-ups for Traxxas, HPI, Losi and Associated among some others, so I think I'm good there.
  • Lastly, thought it's not a deal-breaker, I'd like the vehicle to be *somewhat* true scale. I understand the merits of extra-wide wheel bases where RC vehicles are concerned, but I'd like to at worst strike a balance between a crazy wide and inside the fender wheel base designs.

The Traxxas Slayer looks like what I'm interested in. People seem to be satisfied with it, but it's really pushing it as far as my budget is concerned. What else might I be interested in? Also, please, any advice on what I've stated above is welcomed - even to the contrary.
Quasimojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

If your looking at racing just starting out i would highly suggest the 8ight 2.0 rtr buggy or truggy. You get a nice radio and race proven car that will have you lovin every minute. If you do(grab the 8ight 2.0 rtr) grab a hitec 7955 and put it on steering and take the stock steering servo and put it on throttle. toss the jr 270 servo. by the way i did not read all your post although i got the feeling that you were looking to do things right for as cheap as possible. goood luck
8&stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Well here is the most unbiased honest answer. BUY MUGEN!! LOL
Unfortunately, your price range is far from what you want to do. Unless you buy someone elses headache, and trust me, there are VERY few "fixer uppers" worth fixing. This can be/is a very expensive hobby. If you truly want something 1/10th scale nitro and plan on racing, make sure the local club has a class of them, its a dying breed at most tracks. If you wanted 1/10 elec. i would have recommended a 2wd or 4wd short course truck.
It doesnt mater how you slice it, you will be spending $400-$1200+ depending what you wanna do.
So my suggestion is to save up. And when you are saving up, make sure you save an extra $100-$200 (Trust me).
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Ok get a 1/8th scale. That is a way more popular class as far as nitro and the 1/8 is bigger and stronger. Ive ran both now electric and nitro. I like nitro way more. Ya you clean it a bit more but they are a funner class to me. As far as the starter look at the losi 2.0 rtr. Also it depends what you want a buggy or truggy. The buggy is a less expensive to buy but it will be more expensive for tires. Driving wise teh buggy is a harder car to drive, and the truggy it a easier more forgiving car. If you could get up to 600-700 dollars you would be way better off. Otherwise you will need a better motor, remote, and someplaces dont allow the roto starters and pull starts. A cheaper car is more work, ends up to be more money and its not as good as what you could have bought. Here are the top of the line rtr vehicles. I highly recommend either one. They come with a good motor, a very good remote, decent starter box, and a decent car its self. The only bad thing is the servos and those can be replaced when they go out. Those are very good cars and you may be able to find them cheaper but thats where i like to shop. Imo the buggy is a funner class, thats what i run and so do a lot of other people. Losi the maker of those cars and that is also a very popular brand so there is a big +1. Those two cars are ment for racing and you can be pretty competative with them. Good luck in your choice.

Truggy- $710
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box

Buggy-$640
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Starter-Box
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would have to agree that 1/10 scale nitro is a dying breed. However, 1/10 scale electric Short Course is really growing. If you decide to go that route you can't go wrong with a Traxxas Slash RTR, Team Associated SC10 RTR, HPI Blitz RTR, or a Losi Strike RTR all are around $200 RTR. All of these are fully tunable for the most part and probably a good place to start to learn how to setup suspension geometry. A link is below to Amain Hobbies which usually has some great deals and if you become a member you can get a $25 off coupon if you spend $250(I think thats the dollar amount)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...rt-Course-Kits

If you are set on Nitro then I would really consider 1/8 scale, although the Losi 2.0 RTR is probably the best RTR on the market right now, The Team Associated RC8 RS RTR is a great package as well that come with a roto start like you are looking for although a starter box is probably the best way to go. The RC8 comes with a .28 size motor which unless there is an open class at your local track I'm not sure you can race it with the standard .21. The radio that comes with it is decent but you will also want to take the steering servo out and use it for the Throttle and buy a nice high torque metal gear servo. You can use what it comes with and replace it once it strips the plastic gears on the throttle servo or the steering servo breaks. The RC8 is fully tune-able as well. I bought this at first to cut my teeth on 1/8 scale nitro and I have no regrets it held very well. If anything broke it was due to driver error and not product quality. A link to that kit at Amain hobbies is below, good luck on your new RC venture, but I have to worn you once its in your blood it never leaves; I've been in and out of RC for about 30-years can't give it up!!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Spec-RTR-Buggy
engr673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If the slayer is pushing your budget then anything 1/8th scale is going to far exceed it. I am a slayer owner and wish I was not. there is no class in my area to run it. I can run it with the electrics but they eat me alive. If you want short course then save the extra $$ and get something electric RTR. I run 1/8th scales and have a hard time running anything smaller, just is not entertaining enough for me.1/10th is a good place to start but sooner or later you will get bit by the 1/8th scale bug and there will go your budget, your wifes budget, your kids allowance and any spare change you can dig out from under the couch

A decent radio to start with is the one that comes with the RTR trucks. next step up would be a dx2 or 3 which I would recommend asap after your initial purchase. Another thing to consider is to buy used. I got into 1/8th scale for less than the cost of a Slash 4x4RTR kit. I bought used and have had good luck with my used stuff.

Good luck with your purchase but do think twice about the slayer and if you are up to buying a used slayer send me a pm I will make you a pretty good deal on one that just needs servos and only has a half gallon on it.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I wish I could have "re done" what I did with this hobby. Buy once, buy right! If you buy cheap stuff, you will regret it down the road. Look around online at cars, and whatever one catches your eye, get it. When I first started I got a 1/10 nitro truck just to find out none of my local tracks run 1/10 anymore because 1/8 took over! So that was a loss to me... dont make the same mistake!

P.S. Short Course is the best option for electric
mike881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The ten-t looks pretty awesome.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Tech Master

in his post it sounds like he is lean on the nitro side of rc. If you dont want a car that flips a lot dont get a sc. They handle like crap compared to the buggies/truggies. Engr673 the problem with the associated is some places dont have the open class and they wont let the .28s run with the .21s. Quasimojo How much is the very very very max you will spend, than we can help you a little more, i see 400 but could you make it more?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude236 View Post
in his post it sounds like he is lean on the nitro side of rc. If you dont want a car that flips a lot dont get a sc. They handle like crap compared to the buggies/truggies. Engr673 the problem with the associated is some places dont have the open class and they wont let the .28s run with the .21s. Quasimojo How much is the very very very max you will spend, than we can help you a little more, i see 400 but could you make it more?
I stated that in my post for him to check with his local track to see if they have an open class that will allow a .28. With that said thanks for the confirmation!!! No matter how you try and slice it this hobby is expensive but a ton of fun!
engr673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr673 View Post
I stated that in my post for him to check with his local track to see if they have an open class that will allow a .28. With that said thanks for the confirmation!!! No matter how you try and slice it this hobby is expensive but a ton of fun!
True and maybe he should go with a sc slash 2wd and run the spec slash. its a 200 dollar electric car and that class is for beginners and when he feels read he can hope it up a little put a 17t in it and run the stock class. Short course is a fun class dont get me wrong but they are an unstable car, they will crash easier. But Imo a slash would be your best bet until you could save up for a nice 1/8 buggy or truggy.
That car comes with everything you need to run it wheni t gets to your house. I like towerhobbies cause if you sign up for the members for like 10 dollars a year they send you huge discounts. Like right now i would be getting free shippin on that and 50 dollars off

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDB3**&P=ML
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

For that budget range I'll suggest the car I started with - the Jammin' x1x ready to run. It's in your budget range, it's a forgiving vehicle - not as aggressive as the newer buggies. The only ther thing you need is batteries and fuel for under $350 at A Main Hobbies. The only thing is that as an RTR it's not the same quality as the pro kit and wears quickly if your Roth with it it will begin to show!
aFito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post
Hello.

I'm interested in a couple of different paths, actually - road racing (primarily F1/Indy or LeMans cars) and baja or rally trucks/buggies. While my wife is a wonderful woman with a high level of patience where my various hobbies are concerned, even she has her limits. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate on the off-road stuff for now.

Go to your local track and see what races there. If i were you I'd start with something less crazy expensive than 1/8th scale like Modd Corr/SCT. Something like a AE Brushless SC10 RTR.

As far as what I want goes, here is what I've settled on thus far:
  • I want to go nitro. I know, plenty will tell me that it's a lot of hassle, and that electric actually tops out at higher speeds, but the fact of the matter is, I enjoy the mechanical or tinkering part of pretty much any hobby. I like the idea of dealing with an actual internal combustion motor and all the quirks that go along with it. Also, I'm not really interested in top speed. I'm more interested in making it around dirt tracks, through banks and hairpin turns, and over table tops and multi-jumps with an acceptable degree of handling and accelleration without someone having to run out and flip it back onto its wheels every 10 seconds. I'm mechanically inclined and very confident I will be fine cutting my RC teeth on nitro.

If you want to go Nitro, then go big. The best way to save is to research and buy the good stuff on the frst try.
  • 1/10 scale looks to be the way to go for me. I wouldn't mind going bigger, but it looks like cost really spikes once you get to 1/8 and larger. Plus, 1/10 appears to be a more common size, and if I ever decide to actually enter a race with this thing, I'd like to have options and opportunities.

1/10th scale is all electric now. Nitro existed in 1/10th in 1/10th 2wd trucks because they were way faster than electric. Now that electric is faster 1/10th nitro truck is dead nearly everywhere.
  • I think I'd prefer a roto-start starting system, though pull start isn't out of the question. Aside from the bad experiences I've had in the past with chainsaws and lawn mowers pull-starting, a roto-start just feels more "racey" or akin to a "pit crew-ish" activity. Hey, I never claimed to have all my marbles. That's just the way it strikes me, and, well, it *is* my 100's of dollars, and I may as well get what I want, right? Still, I'm completely open to advice on why I might be better off with a pull start.

Good nitro cars use bump boxes that bump the flywheel over. The Ofna truggy box is a good example. rotostart stinks, pull start is even worse.
  • I have no idea what to look for in a controller (radio? should I be calling it that?). Should I even be concerned with it at this point? I will likely start with a RTR, so I'm guessing I'll just settle for what comes in the box for now. Are some RTR controllers better than others?
    The Losi 8 RTR' come with good 2.4ghz radios. A radio is worth spending alot extra. Get a good one. They last a long time, so if you get one your happy with there is little reason to buy another. My M8 is ancient....probally 8-10yrs old? When did M8's come out?
  • I'm probably looking at dumping somewhere between $200 to $300 into my first car/truck/buggy to get started in the hobby, though for the right deal, I think I could manage enough shoulder massages to get the missus to let me push it a bit beyond that. I really don't see anything above $400 in the realm of possibility, though. Hey, I'm a realist.

Slash, AE SC10, maybe a Slash 4x4. 1/8th nitro is $2000+
  • I want something that has really good part (mfr as well as after-market) support. There's no telling what I'm going to want to hop-up on this thing, once I gain a better understanding what what I'm doing, and I'd like to have a lot of options. I know my LHS carries stock parts and hop-ups for Traxxas, HPI, Losi and Associated among some others, so I think I'm good there.
  • Lastly, thought it's not a deal-breaker, I'd like the vehicle to be *somewhat* true scale. I understand the merits of extra-wide wheel bases where RC vehicles are concerned, but I'd like to at worst strike a balance between a crazy wide and inside the fender wheel base designs.

Have you seen the AE SC10 RTR's??, can't get mush more scale than that

The Traxxas Slayer looks like what I'm interested in. People seem to be satisfied with it, but it's really pushing it as far as my budget is concerned. What else might I be interested in? Also, please, any advice on what I've stated above is welcomed - even to the contrary.
Can't say I've ever seen a slayer do well in any Corr Truck race.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default my two cents

I think the key you need to decide is if you want to race or not. If you just want to mess around and play, you have a lot of options. If you want to be able to race, it's important to go to your local track, and see what other people are racing. It's also a good place to learn a few things. I'd be willing to be that every hour spent at the track learning hands on will be more valuable than 6 hours on the internet reading.

Other comments:
- For nitro racing, 1/8 scale is where it is at. 1/10 nitro is pretty much phased out (at least in my area). All of those vehicles have been relegated to bashing. If you want to race, 1/8 is the way you need to go.
- 1/8 buggy is typically cheaper to run than 1/8 truggy. (buggy is easier on motors, and tires are less expensive)
- For your budget, it's tough. I can't honestly tell you that $400 is enough to get into nitro racing. A decent right will cost you at least $600 or more, and then "consumables" such as fuel, tires, engines, and repairs will add up.
- You can get a 1/8 scale buggy for $500 or less "RTR", but even after you buy it, you will need to upgrade several parts. Usually the servos first. I agree with the previous posts that the Losi RTR package is one of the best.
- Roto start vs. pull start - neither. A starter box is the way to go, and all the race vehicles will be this way.
- What to look for in a transmitter. #1 criteria is 2.4ghz. Basically this allows you to never have a conflict with another radio.

If I were in your shoes I would either:

a) Based on budget, buy an electric short course truck. Realistic looks, and there is lots to learn even without nitro. Typically lots of people race these. Pretty much all these short course trucks are good. Generally you could get one for $250, and spend the rest of your budget on track fees, tires, batteries, and repairs. (all of which you will probably need)

b) Put a little more with it and buy a 1/8 nitro buggy RTR. Use it carefully, and learn it, and practice. At that point you will be hooked and more budget will appear.
aray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Maybe a slash is more within your budget or a slash 4x4. They are fun and fast if you build them right or add a 5700 engine. You are right 1/8 scale is very very expensive.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote