R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RB C6 flameouts - cause unknown

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my friend's RB C6 (turbo glowplug).
Engine flameouts after every refuelling. It means that during race my friend came to me for a filling up with fuel, and after refuelling and leaving pit stop, 5-10 seconds and it flames out. It happend before the start (when filling up on the track) also.
Engine is in good condition, has a lot of pinch (it has approx. 10 l of fuel), I suppose it is properly tuned (not too rich at bottom, which is common). He uses RB 6 glowplug. All fuel lines and tank are in good condition. His car is Xray 808 (but it doesn't matter I guess). Fuel is Power-Save Racing 25%.

Have you got any suggestions? We are considering changing the brand of glowplugs (on OS or O'donell). We will be also trying another brand of fuel.

Regards
matt_pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

standard C6 issue when it is badly tuned. we had tons of C6 flameouts last year after refueling. People who had this issue try to change almost everything and it was just in the tune. The big issue I see with RB engines is that they dont hold their tune well and are very sensitive to changing weather conditions.

It takes a lot of patience to properly tune C6.
Sakura Zero S - LRP Quantum, Saturn 20T
KoPropo Eurus
wallot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any chance that your friend revs the engine whilst its being refuelled ???
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Swithch to an OS P3 and lean the LSN. It is in the tune and happened on mine at first. You are probably still to rich on the bottom.
Team Byrons Racing Fuels
pntmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

to Charles:
No, he is not reving during refueling.

I understand that C6 is very hard to tune properly, because I have experience with these motors. I think that I know how to tune it correctly, so maybe there is another cause of this problem?
Maybe it is connected with new fuel or chassis? This year he changed from Crono to Xray, and from Merlin fuel to Power-Save Racing fuel?
I have heard suggestions that this problem is caused when we we fill up tank with fresh fuel (so it is much colder that rest of the fuel which is in tank and fuel lines), and when this fuel comes to engine it flames out? Have you heard about it?
If not, what tune suggestions can you advice?
matt_pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Tech Master

First, do not put a P3 plug in the C6. OS plugs have a different taper on them, they will work but the head button will never work correctly with a RB/Nova plug again.

One thing I have seen help is to use a number 5 plug instead of a number 6. Other than that there are only two things that will cause a post refuel flame out. First, spilling fuel during the pit stop. If you pull away from your pitman and see a trail of fuel in pitlane it's probably going to kill the engine in the first corner when you hit the brakes. Second is the tune, if the LSN is set too rich your engine will load up really bad during the pit stop, this will generally cause your engine to dies as soon as you get on the brakes in the first corner leaving pit lane. The LSN on a C6 should be very close to flush, if it is out from flush very much it's too rich.
Chris Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_pl View Post
to Charles:
No, he is not reving during refueling.
He should blip it a bit, sounds like its loading up. Also try the pinch test to see where your bottom end is(sounds like he also may be too rich on the bottom)... Get the motor to a good temp, then bring it in and pinch the fuel line by the carb and count how many seconds before it stalls. You wanna be around the 3 second range.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
He should blip it a bit, sounds like its loading up. Also try the pinch test to see where your bottom end is(sounds like he also may be too rich on the bottom)... Get the motor to a good temp, then bring it in and pinch the fuel line by the carb and count how many seconds before it stalls. You wanna be around the 3 second range.
porty... the rb's like a longer range for idle to drop... i found that a 10-20 second drop was correct for this motor.... if you have it load up faster you get flameouts... if you go longer then you get the lean low end... read the manual from rb it tells you they want a 20-30 second before idle drop... i do think that is a tade long... i found anything under 10 sec would cause a flameout only when pitting even if you rev. it up before you leave the pits... also cause a soft bottom end motor.. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

rich on the bottom. how much pressure line? had a similar issue with a cl7b that would not idle until we put on longer line, from 4" to 8".
AKA, Proline, Hotbodies Rubber
Elite Performance - HORRC.com
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer7469 View Post
porty... the rb's like a longer range for idle to drop... i found that a 10-20 second drop was correct for this motor.... if you have it load up faster you get flameouts... if you go longer then you get the lean low end... read the manual from rb it tells you they want a 20-30 second before idle drop... i do think that is a tade long... i found anything under 10 sec would cause a flameout only when pitting even if you rev. it up before you leave the pits... also cause a soft bottom end motor.. jeremy
Weird. The RB i had loved it. I dont think it would make such a huge difference in Canada.
Its so hard to diagnose engines without them being infront of you.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

I do saw some pitman use this method to clear the extra fuel when they pit. Refueling the tank and before your pitman drop your car on the pit lane, try to rev your engine. Mean inform your pitman drop your car on the pit lane after you make a full rev. This might take you 1 second slower but is better lost 1 second then 10 second after your engine flameout.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fuel bottle or gun????? I know some people have had issues over here when someone squeezes the bottle to hard causing the fuel to foam up. They've switched to a gun and its cured it....
Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I pitted for a guy a few times that had the same problem . Believe it or not i somehow found out that after fueling it & before dropping the buggy , if i shook the car it would not flame out . Weird i know but it worked . He replaced tank & all fuel lines & it still did the same thing so i'm sure it was tune related . By the way the c-6 imo is the most finicky engine i have seen . It seems as though it is constantly needing to be re-tuned . Hope you figure it out .
romax is offline   Reply With Quote