Wiki Posts
Search

fuel consumption...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default fuel consumption...

hey guys, i bought the losi 2.0 rtr buggy a few weeks ago, and love it i am very pleased with the speed of it, although it could use a little torque (i'm about to start experimenting with clutch setups to see what i can get out of the stock motor). my only complaint at all with this thing is the poor fuel consumption. i was told the turbo head conversion kit will help, but i was wondering by how much? right now, on a medium size, medium bite, with a little dust on top track, it's getting close to 6 minutes per tank in fact, i have to pit at 5 minute intervals to be safe!

i was looking into motors a bit, and saw many in the $200 range - which is about what i'll be able to spend in a little while. what do you suggest will be a good replacement? keep in mind i am happy with the speed of the stock 350, but could use a littttle more torque and A LOT better fuel economy
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Get the red head alpha (F850) i was looking into getting the losi engine and then got a green head alpha (Z852). and am stoked with it. The F850 has awesome bottom end and doesnt lack in top end at all. and i am sure the fuel consumption is much better. Have a look at the Alpha engine thread.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by yuppi1
Have a look at the Alpha engine thread.
i'm on it, thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ses601
hey guys, i bought the losi 2.0 rtr buggy a few weeks ago, and love it i am very pleased with the speed of it, although it could use a little torque (i'm about to start experimenting with clutch setups to see what i can get out of the stock motor). my only complaint at all with this thing is the poor fuel consumption. i was told the turbo head conversion kit will help, but i was wondering by how much? right now, on a medium size, medium bite, with a little dust on top track, it's getting close to 6 minutes per tank in fact, i have to pit at 5 minute intervals to be safe!

i was looking into motors a bit, and saw many in the $200 range - which is about what i'll be able to spend in a little while. what do you suggest will be a good replacement? keep in mind i am happy with the speed of the stock 350, but could use a littttle more torque and A LOT better fuel economy
Then you don't have it tuned properly. My friend has one that i tuned and it runs 10 min to dry. He pits at 9 min safely. Same as you have, rtr 2.0 buggy. Maybe someone in your area can give you a hand. It's a pretty damn good running mill for what it is.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

I dont have one, but I have seen some go 8-9min per tank in RACE CONDITIONS. Im guessing your running rich.....
Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hambone
Then you don't have it tuned properly. My friend has one that i tuned and it runs 10 min to dry. He pits at 9 min safely. Same as you have, rtr 2.0 buggy. Maybe someone in your area can give you a hand. It's a pretty damn good running mill for what it is.
+1. I have the rtr truggy with the .28 rtr motor and I get 8.5+ minutes. Your too rich.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, it's running between 220-230. the best i ever got (trying to lean it a tad) was still under 7....just not willing to ruin it for no reason
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does everything spin free? If you have a bad bearing then the engine temp will go up making you have to richen it up more causing poor economy.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Does everything spin free? If you have a bad bearing then the engine temp will go up making you have to richen it up more causing poor economy.
yup. these 8+ minute times are a bit high compared to what a handful of very knowledgeable people are telling me i should expect from it....

any other motors other than the alpha in the $200 range that will have decent torque/top end?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

You might want to consider this engine:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Standard-Plug

I run it in a Jammin X2 with a Dynamite 053 pipe/header combo and pit at 8 minutes ... probably get slightly over 8-1/2 minutes on a tank. I run 20% Sidewinder on a small technical track.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run the GO GX 7 port in my buggy and consistently get 9.5 min run times. Get the combo kit with the matched pipe and you are looking at the best value in RC. I still run my old 7 port for club races it has around 8 gallons on it now and still has lots of compression. It will still get 8 minutes consistently.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

maybe your bottom end needle is to rich or to lean so you cant lean the top out enough, but i have heard those engines run best at around 250

but if you want one killer engine get an Alpha engine. i would get the green head one, we are getting over 10 min a tank with them in a buggy.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

First, you don't need a new engine.

The two biggest things that kill fuel economy are overly rich fuel mixture, and drivers that habitually blip and peg the throttle all the way around the track. You can't expect good fuel economy in either case, but both bad habits combined can't be overcome by any engine, the smallest air restrictor, or the lowest EPA settings. Practice driving more smoothly and throw away your temp gauge. Run the fuel mixture where you get the best performance and stop worrying about the temp range.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for all the advice on the different motors, i may go with the alpha in a little while.

by the way, i just ran it in the low 240s (and got a little over 250 when it quit), and i got 7:41 from the time i fired it up to the time it stopped. thats a little better, but i'm just a little leary of the higher temps in an rtr motor....even if it's a dynamite design
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveP
Practice driving more smoothly and throw away your temp gauge. Run the fuel mixture where you get the best performance and stop worrying about the temp range.
i hear ya....just a little background, i've been running 2wd mod buggies and trucks for a looong time you don't have to worry about me being heavy with the throttle. i agree, i do not think i need a new motor at all - i am sure i can get a little more bottom with different clutch/flywheel setups. after all, it's only ONE double at ONE local track that it would be nicer to clear from the inside of the corner before hand. in my heat at this same track, there was only 6 seconds difference between car 2 and 9 for 3/4 of the race....i was able to easily stay in the mix until my tires wore away to nothing this motor has all the power i need, it would just be nicer to have a little more towards the bottom

Last edited by ses601; 05-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.