Wiki Posts
Search

After run oil: who uses it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default After run oil: who uses it?

So I recently bought a fairly new Novarossi N21 Limited from a fellow board member and I want to keep this motor in tip top shape. So who all uses after run oil and who dont? I ran my Mach 427 engine and NEVER used ARO and it would always fire right up. Im not sure about the Powermaster 30% fuel im using now, but when I first got my buggy with the 427 the Sidewinder fuel I used said on the jug "No after run oil needed, fuel provides plenty of oil for lubrication", so I just kinda stuck with that.

But I want to do everything right for this motor, AND im not using Sidewinder anymore, I use Powermaster.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes I use it all the time my two favorites are Klotz afterrun and RB Mods great stuff and the Klotz smells like blueberry! Also the Klotz afterrun is a Tri formula you can use it in your fuel ,as an after run oil, and air filter oil!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

I would not think of not using it. Some will say you don't need it, but i promise you, your engine will be cleaner and last longer if you do. Heck, even when i clean carbon deposits off my piston and head button all i use is after run oil and my finger.

Just make sure what ever you do, clean the area around the plug and turn your engine up side down to screw it out. All it takes is one piece of dirt to score your piston.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

I use it if my engine is going to be sitting for more than a week without use.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I hear you don't need it
IF
you STOP your engine properly

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In my cars and boats, I have always used a home brew of Marvel Mystery oil, tranny fluid & air tool oil. I started cutting it 50/50 with liquid WD40. When my daughter couldn't pull over her motor with recoil. That's all I use now" unless I 'm putting a motor away then I drown it in tranny oil". I always put it through the carb while spinning it over"fuel line pinched".In the plug will wash dirt in it.The marvel is all you really need though. My boat motors have no rust deposits ever.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

not needed unless your motor is going to be sitting for a long period of time. as long as you use good fuel and dont run your fuel all the way out, everything will be fine. you actually run a bigger risk of damaging you motor by taking out you glow plug and taking off your filter every time you put aro in. also, its a motor killer to run your motor out of fuel to put you aro in.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I never use it unless the engine is going to be sitting for an extended period of time. The oil that is in your fuel should do a fine job of protecting the engine for brief storage. If I do use ARO, I will only use GMK supply "afterlife" or Blue Block rust inhibitor. They are both very thin oils which will coat the internals, but not gum the engine up. They are also both safe for silicone filled cranks. IMO one of the worst things you can do is to use a really thick after run oil. It will gum the engine up and make it a bear to start up.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sickboy
not needed unless your motor is going to be sitting for a long period of time. as long as you use good fuel and dont run your fuel all the way out, everything will be fine. you actually run a bigger risk of damaging you motor by taking out you glow plug and taking off your filter every time you put aro in. also, its a motor killer to run your motor out of fuel to put you aro in.
Too true! Absolutely terrible for your engine. Yet all your "internet experts" recommend it. "Yeah, run every last drop of fuel out of your engine." Come on people think about that one.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default AFTER RUN OIL

Fact is nitro draws moisture. Moisture on sleeve, piston,rod, bearings etc. is not a good thing. My sug. is make sure the engine is ran close to dry each time you finish running and if you do not plan to run after more then 7-8 days add after run oil and run it through your starter box for 1/2 a minute or so to lubricate the piston, sleeve, bearings etc. I agree do not run your engine completely out of fuel. Remember nitro draws moisture!!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

ok. so being I never used ARO, how exactly is the process for putting it in? I hear ya not to let it run completely out of fuel, that makes since.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I never use it unless the engine is going to be sitting for an extended period of time. The oil that is in your fuel should do a fine job of protecting the engine for brief storage. If I do use ARO, I will only use GMK supply "afterlife" or Blue Block rust inhibitor. They are both very thin oils which will coat the internals, but not gum the engine up. They are also both safe for silicone filled cranks. IMO one of the worst things you can do is to use a really thick after run oil. It will gum the engine up and make it a bear to start up.
Tell me about it! I used after run oil in my first nitro engine! I hated it cause it wouldnt start up until forever than i had to run half a tank to get it to run right, Then since i got into 1/8th i havent used ARO. Then yesterday i ordered a new clockwork engine and asked maximo if i need ARO and he said no. So im not gonna and thats coming from an engine guy.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

RCZOMBIE, do you have a link to the Klotz stuff?

kinda funny tho, Klotz chain lube is what I use on my ATV, is it the same company? If so, what oil by them do you use?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
RCZOMBIE, do you have a link to the Klotz stuff?

kinda funny tho, Klotz chain lube is what I use on my ATV, is it the same company? If so, what oil by them do you use?
I would NEVER put anything into my engines that can also be used as an air filter oil. If it is thick enough to be an air filter oil, it is thick enough to totally f*** your engine. Just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
ok. so being I never used ARO, how exactly is the process for putting it in? I hear ya not to let it run completely out of fuel, that makes since.
just dont use it unless your buggy sits a lot. No need for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.