R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

like at the venturi the opening on the idle have it between .7mm-1mm i didnt say 7mm .7mm Yes pinch the fuel line much closer to the nipple and see how your results are because if you pinch it in the middle all the fuel from the middle up to the nipple will run into the motor and burn
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if it starts hovering around 300 start to worry and shut it down immediately.

i have actually had a engine go up to 330 and you can hear it about to seize. It cooked the bearings. When it starts making that whirrly sound where you can't really hear the power stroke, it's too late. Your bearings are shot.

but then again i hear some of the axial engines run great at 280 300

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Ok. So I need to take off the air intake to see right? Is there a better way to re atatch it? I believe mine is zip tied real tight and prob will have to cut it off. Thanks for all your help by the way!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Engine temps are a matter of urban legend. It took 20 years to break the myth that you HAD to run your engine between 200 and 220. It's absolute BUNK. Even though most people that know what they're talking about have gotten away from that ridiculous range, everyone is still much too cautious about the maximum temps. Your fuel, oil, altitude, compression, nitro percentage, clutch setting, gearing, ambient temp and even driving style are all factors independent of fuel mixture setting that affect engine temp. If all of those factors line up at the upper end of the range, it's no uncommon to see temps of 320 to 330 and STILL be perfectly safe. What's really hot? I've had an engine up to 450 degrees and it was still running and didn't blow the plug. I'd say that's really hot to the point where it's damaging. Below 350 on a really hot day at high altitude with tall gearing, low oil and soft clutch springs will put you at the high end of the range. Of course you don't want to see those temps on a 50 degree day.

The point is, everyone needs to STOP relying on their temp guns so much. When you stop learning how to watch your engine performance and look for visual and audible signs that will tell you how to adjust your fuel mixture, and start putting all your trust into a temp, you're asking for a lot of trouble. There IS NO IDEAL RANGE OR MAXIMUM TEMP for all conditions. As much as an infrared temp gun is a great tool for an experienced engine tuner, it's almost the kiss of death for a newcomer. If you always tune with your temp gun, then just give your screwdriver to the temp gun. It would be about as effective.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Engine temps are a matter of urban legend. It took 20 years to break the myth that you HAD to run your engine between 200 and 220. It's absolute BUNK. Even though most people that know what they're talking about have gotten away from that ridiculous range, everyone is still much too cautious about the maximum temps. Your fuel, oil, altitude, compression, nitro percentage, clutch setting, gearing, ambient temp and even driving style are all factors independent of fuel mixture setting that affect engine temp. If all of those factors line up at the upper end of the range, it's no uncommon to see temps of 320 to 330 and STILL be perfectly safe. What's really hot? I've had an engine up to 450 degrees and it was still running and didn't blow the plug. I'd say that's really hot to the point where it's damaging. Below 350 on a really hot day at high altitude with tall gearing, low oil and soft clutch springs will put you at the high end of the range. Of course you don't want to see those temps on a 50 degree day.

The point is, everyone needs to STOP relying on their temp guns so much. When you stop learning how to watch your engine performance and look for visual and audible signs that will tell you how to adjust your fuel mixture, and start putting all your trust into a temp, you're asking for a lot of trouble. There IS NO IDEAL RANGE OR MAXIMUM TEMP for all conditions. As much as an infrared temp gun is a great tool for an experienced engine tuner, it's almost the kiss of death for a newcomer. If you always tune with your temp gun, then just give your screwdriver to the temp gun. It would be about as effective.
thats ok, i learned my lesson. I will keep mine below 260. i definitley agree about the temp gun though. I hardly ever even use it.

Mugen
Old 05-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Ok guys calm down. Lol I am new at this as I stated it was my first nitro, I'm an electric guy. I have been doing a bunch of reading and now trying to tune it in the real world by myself. I am asking so I don't blow it up and give up on nitro and stay electric (that's not what we want now do we? Haha lol.) I'm having a ball with it just don't want to over look something as I'm sure I have. Thanks for all the great advice! I'll put it to good use and Maybe some day teach someone else.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

usally unless im racing i dont zip tie my carb. Just get some calipers measure somthing close to the carb measurement in between .7mm-1mm adjust the carb to that and tune on. No there is not an easier way to look in the carb. Just cut the zip tie=)
rcdude236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Tech Addict

I have never owned a temp gun. I have always used the spit method. But most of all I tune to sound, smoke trail, and performance. After a 20 or 30 min. main I might spit on the engine just to get an idea of how hot it is. I can say I have never cooked an engine yet. I have only been racing nitro for 4 years so that is why I say YET...lol
O'Donnell, D.I.R.T. R/C ultimate Tire Gluer
Jeremy Davis
jammin32j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

my 2.0trtr with.28 stock 454 , 25 % nitro with r5 plug runs 220 to 260 I only use temp gun as a guess now, best with a good smoke out in all speeds and with a small rpm increase when fuel line is blocked/penched for me . Is your moter still tight/ gets stuck when starting? if so mite need more time on it, mines if i do a 1 to 2min. move clockwise it starts to get hot and if i go 3 to 5 min richer its runs bad, theres a fine line in the tuneing when close to were it runs best! Mine always runs hot if out bashing also on the same settings it runs best at the track so good luck! P.S my moters been to 300deg. when it was new and it started to sound a little odd at does temps , runs great now still!
aarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am also at 5000ft and I have found that any of the cheaper rtr type motors seem to run hot during brake-in vs. the higher end motors. just broke in a practice motor, nova 3-port, had good smoke and sounded rich, temped it at 280, just hit the 1 1/2 gallon mark and its now starting cool down into a normal heat range 215-230. Others I know have had the same type of crazy break-in temps with thier rtr motors. My werks motor has never been over 230 and its on the lean side, not much smoke and revs way out. I like to use temp range just as a tuning aid not so much a tuning guide. I think our high altitude only makes it harder to tune and temps shouldnt really change much from sea level to colorado, air mixture is air mixture no matter where u go, (less air= less fuel less power more air= more fuel more power)
Riva-Sinister Skis-Jetworks-Jet Pilot
Coorslight
lanmine657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
Tech Elite

couldn't you technically run 40 percent nitro sense nitro is after all a oxygen carrier?

Mugen