Wiki Posts
Search

Can nitro gas go bad or expire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Can nitro gas go bad or expire?

If so what happenas when you use it? Do components in the nitro separate (like the cream in milk does) because the engine seemed to run fine for about 1/2 the gallon. Then with no changes to the needles or idle screw, the engine wouldn't even idle let alone run. The only thing that changed is the temperature outside. I have since replaced the glow plug thinking that might be the problem.

I am at wits end and the only other thought I have is the nitro before I just give up.

The gas is a little more than 1 year old. Bought it at the beginning of last season and never got around to using it.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I store my fuel in the basement out of sunlight, and with as much air squeezed out of the bottle as possible. My guess is that it would be good for up to a year or so, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

The fuel as a tendency to suck up watermolecules from the air. Which is why you should always store it with as little air left in the bottle as possible.
Other than that I dont know, but I noticed today that there was some leftover fuel in the bottom of the tank on my truggy. Its been sitting for a month because of bad weather. Anyways its become very dark brown, its Odonnell fuel so its normally bright yellow almost seethrough.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a gallon of OD left over from last year and its kinda darkish in color.... I tried to use it to see what it would run like... Well it did run but kinda gurgle gurgle and rich but also made my engine a little warm.. I switched to a new gallon without changing the needles and it was spot on... Lots more power with the new stuff and the motor ran clean and cool... The old stuff I had alot less power and higher temps..
Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Well, I can't believe it. I swapped the old gas out for newer (a few months old - bought at the end of the season) and it is running like new again.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

My theory is that with all the excess oxygen (like in the extra watermolecules) will cause it to run ultra lean since the ratio between oxygen and fuel will change drasticly. Theres alot more oxygen in water than in the air.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes, fuel can go bad. It can absorb moisture and when the moisture content gets over a certain point, tuning becomes impossible. Typically, it will run like it's too rich but leaning it out just brings on the lean bog and overheating. Any worse and it just wont stay running at all.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Good to know.

Follow up question to all if I may...

What do you do with old "gas"?

Heck...I'm not even sure what I'd do with old standard gas... since my lawn mower gas ends up in the snow thrower, any gas I have never really gets that old. lol

- TK
Old 05-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theknight571
Good to know.

Heck...I'm not even sure what I'd do with old standard gas... since my lawn mower gas ends up in the snow thrower, any gas I have never really gets that old. lol

- TK
Well i left a half gallon with the lid off on accident for a bout 2 days and it was shot. I wasnt too mad because it was completly my fault, it still burned though.

But, thats usually what i do with the last little bit at the bottom i burn it. The reason is is the the last little bit of gas has all the crap that settled out in it (from the track garage etc..) so i dont put it in my engine.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Good to know.

- TK
We use our old, questionable, nitro fuel to start bon fires
and clean foam air filters. If it looks real nasty, then it's
for starting fires only.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

old fuel is good for cleaning cause of the oil in it.. also good for killing weeds. and starting fires ha.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

I have 1 liter of fuel. I bought it about 9 months ago. I have never opened the bottle up and now when I checked on it, planning to run my Losi, I was in doubt if I could use it at all. You see, it's more redish in color than I remember when I bought it back then so I opened the bottle and smelled the gas and to me in smelled like the mixture was a bit stronger than a 1 liter bottle I used once of the same brand.

Is it safe to run this fuel? When I bought it I couldn't see through it and it was orange. Now it's light red-red and smells stronger than my earlier 1 liter bottle.

EDIT: Actually I think I was beeing too worried =) (I'm also wrong about the above about the color :P)

A picture of a new bottle of this gas: http://www.tomstundahusid.is/images/...Tec-Dyna20.jpg
A picture of my bottle (9 months old, kept away from sunlight all the time and unopened): http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/848/dsc02292t.jpg

Last edited by helgso; 05-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by helgso
I have 1 liter of fuel. I bought it about 9 months ago. I have never opened the bottle up and now when I checked on it, planning to run my Losi, I was in doubt if I could use it at all. You see, it's more redish in color than I remember when I bought it back then so I opened the bottle and smelled the gas and to me in smelled like the mixture was a bit stronger than a 1 liter bottle I used once of the same brand.

Is it safe to run this fuel? When I bought it I couldn't see through it and it was orange. Now it's light red-red and smells stronger than my earlier 1 liter bottle.

EDIT: Actually I think I was beeing too worried =) (I'm also wrong about the above about the color :P)

A picture of a new bottle of this gas: http://www.tomstundahusid.is/images/...Tec-Dyna20.jpg
A picture of my bottle (9 months old, kept away from sunlight all the time and unopened): http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/848/dsc02292t.jpg

Give it a good shake and run it. If it was a kept out of the sunlight and not sitting on concrete, it should be fine since it is still sealed.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Good to know.

- TK
I use it do drown and burn ant mounds around my house!.. For some reason that nitro fuel burns deep into the ground and kills those little suckers...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Chad Man
I use it do drown and burn ant mounds around my house!.. For some reason that nitro fuel burns deep into the ground and kills those little suckers...
What? You evil ... ^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.